Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alarming statistics - I'd like to talk through them

Re: Alarming statistics - I'd like to talk through them

Quote Originally Posted by gillebro View Post
    I am a bit of a stats person, yeah. And I do hear "uncommon", but I was definitely far happier thinking "ultra-rare".

I think the reason why a lot of HA sufferers, myself included, aren't as bothered by the idea of heart disease is that it can, theoretically, be prevented and treated. ALS can't, really. At least, not yet.
    The way I see it now is that I do what I can to stay healthy - body and mind. Something is going to get me eventually; the same applies to us all. And if it's something like MND then at least I live in an age when there are good drugs and I will be made as comfortable as possible. Try to work on a daily basis with this fear? Tell yourself that while you cannot control potentially developing this condition, you don't have it now. You're healthy now, and now is all any of us really have.

As for the weekend, yes! I'm doing a test thing for a possible work promotion, then going for a run and spending time with my partner. Yourself?
    Sounds good! All the best for the promotion and enjoy your time with your partner. Go make some memories!

All great posts here ! Yes I’m a numbers person also and agree with most of the posts here . I can settle my mind weirdly on heart disease and I hate to say it cancer but for some reason a disease such as mnd feels random and out of any sphere of influence.

Form once I’m going to take my stiff achy legs as a blessing !

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyofboro View Post
    All great posts here ! Yes I’m a numbers person also and agree with most of the posts here . I can settle my mind weirdly on heart disease and I hate to say it cancer but for some reason a disease such as mnd feels random and out of any sphere of influence.

Form once I’m going to take my stiff achy legs as a blessing !
    A lot of anxiety comes worry over not having control over things. I'm type 2 diabetic, for instance - not ideal and kind of an unusual thing to have in one's early 30s - but I AM genetically predisposed to it, and it's something that can be managed very well (you wouldn't believe the number of tests I have to have every year now), so even though I suppose the chances are I'm far more likely to die from complications from it, I'm really not worried. But MND isn't like that, hence the fear.

But, I really like what NoraB said and I've been thinking about it a lot today. The only thing we can know for sure is now, and right now, I'm fine. I take a lot of comfort from that.

Quote Originally Posted by gillebro View Post
    A lot of anxiety comes worry over not having control over things. I'm type 2 diabetic, for instance - not ideal and kind of an unusual thing to have in one's early 30s - but I AM genetically predisposed to it, and it's something that can be managed very well (you wouldn't believe the number of tests I have to have every year now), so even though I suppose the chances are I'm far more likely to die from complications from it, I'm really not worried. But MND isn't like that, hence the fear.
    HA requires fear of the unknown. You have diabetes. It's real. And you have a plan. Your condition is managed well and your attitude towards it is positive; this is you being in control.

MND, for you, isn't real. It's a fear. An intrusive thought. There's no plan because you don't have it, but even in the highly unlikeliness that you did develop it - having the condition would change things. You are coping with a very serious condition with the diabetes, and you'd cope with anything else too.

I have been in real life or death danger, and it turned out to be one of the calmest times of my life. It was real; it was happening. I was being rushed to surgery, but I wasn't scared. The brain generally handles what's real a lot better than what's imagined..

The only thing we can know for sure is now, and right now, I'm fine. I take a lot of comfort from that.
    Remember this when the MND fear clouds your mind, then go and do something nice. Don't try to block the thoughts; allow them in and observe them and see them for what they are - just thoughts, not reality.

Hi norab! You really are a voice of calm and reason ! Everyone needs a norab!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information