Thread: Expired Medication

Expired Medication

Evening all

Has anyone ever taken meds that have gone past the use-by date? I was just sorting through some things and realised some of my Lorazepam is 3 months out of date

I have heard that almost all meds are actually fine for years after the expiry date, but just wondered what you all think? Safe? or chuck 'em? I must say I don't want to throw them out because they are like gold dust, but of course I don't want to make myself unwell.

I know that very few meds that are out of date will actually make you ill, but just might not work so well. Any ideas?

Thanks xxx

Re: Expired Medication

Swan

I think they have a shelf-life so beyond that date become less effective and I would have thought 3 months would be fine but I worry so much about things like that so I wouldn't dare take them.

That is just me personally.

Not much help am I lol?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi

I personally wouldn't risk taking them. In reality they're probably 99.9% likely to be fine, but is best to be safe. In the past, a doctor told me that after the use-by-date the effects the drug have on you can completely change - i don't know if this is actually true, but it still made me be more careful!

Take care,

Anna x

I am sure they are fine for a certain amount of time, but I have no idea exactly how long though. I have been told that they don't work as well once they are very out of date.

A few weeks ago I took some Paracetemol and when I checked the expiry date I thought it said 2009. However a few hours later when I went to take some more I got out a magnifying glass to double check the date and realised it actually said 2005, so they were 2yrs out of date I was fine, but they didn't help my headache

Aaargh! Ok, thanks guys. I think I might find out more before risking it!

xxx

You could always phone a pharmacy to check up. they're generally quite helpful.

Thanks Sagey. I think that's what I will do. I don't want to waste them, but it's pointless taking them if they aren't going to work or make me ill.

Thanks v. much xxx

Thread Information