Thread: How do I change my mindset about getting blood chem/urinalysis tests?

How do I change my mindset about getting blood chem/urinalysis tests?

Hello all, I have an appointment with my doctor this week after a series of delays. I've posted about my concern about having very high BP when I had my vaccine and I've always thought I have whitecoat hypertension although a part of me thinks I do have some form of actual hypertension. I am only 30 years old.

I am definitely sure that the doctor will order some blood tests (cholesterol, liver function, creatinine, etc) for me to get my general picture of my worries. Now, I really have no issue when it comes to the procedure, I am just terrified of the results and the many things they might find out about me.

I don't mind the cholesterol so much as I can bring those down with diet and exercise, but it's the creatinine and urinalysis that worry me more. I feel that I have neglected my high BP issues for years and I am scared that the results will come back saying I have something very wrong with my kidneys at my age and will need dialysis.

I am ashamed to say that my last blood chemistry test was still in 2013! All came back normal except elevated cholesterol and uric acid but I was obsese back then. Through the years, I've lose more than 30 pounds but my diet is still isn't the best.

Anyway, there's no turning back now. I just want to get this over with. I am just really scared.

Re: How do I change my mindset about getting blood chem/urinalysis tests?

I think of it like this: if there is an abnormal result, at least it's caught now and can be treated/addressed so that whatever is wrong with you does not progress. I got some bloodwork done about a month back that showed I had elevated lipase and amylase, pointing towards acute pancreatitis, which confirmed the upper GI pain I've been having for years. At least now, doctors take me seriously when I say I am in pain, and as a result, I am getting some more tests and potentially getting my gallbladder removed (which hopefully will solve the problem).

I mean, I'm not thrilled that there is something wrong with me, but at the same time, I'm happy that I'm at least a little closer to getting treatment, and hopefully my pain resolved. Fingers crossed.

Edit: I also was worried about my creatinine as I believed the pain may have been related to my kidneys, and I've been feeling incredibly thirsty after some of my pain attacks, but that came back normal (actually on the low side). I hope the same for you! I now think that the thirst may have more to do with anxiety than anything, and pain makes my anxiety worse, ergo I feel thirsty when I'm in pain.
    Last edited by AbyssalStars; 14-06-21 at 06:21.

Re: How do I change my mindset about getting blood chem/urinalysis tests?

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalStars View Post
    I think of it like this: if there is an abnormal result, at least it's caught now and can be treated/addressed so that whatever is wrong with you does not progress. I got some bloodwork done about a month back that showed I had elevated lipase and amylase, pointing towards acute pancreatitis, which confirmed the upper GI pain I've been having for years. At least now, doctors take me seriously when I say I am in pain, and as a result, I am getting some more tests and potentially getting my gallbladder removed (which hopefully will solve the problem).

I mean, I'm not thrilled that there is something wrong with me, but at the same time, I'm happy that I'm at least a little closer to getting treatment, and hopefully my pain resolved. Fingers crossed.

Edit: I also was worried about my creatinine as I believed the pain may have been related to my kidneys, and I've been feeling incredibly thirsty after some of my pain attacks, but that came back normal (actually on the low side). I hope the same for you! I now think that the thirst may have more to do with anxiety than anything, and pain makes my anxiety worse, ergo I feel thirsty when I'm in pain.
    Thank you for your response. I understand that it is better to catch things early, but my anxiety always makes me think of the worst and obsess over what is wrong with me despite all the treatments there are available.

So sorry to hear about what you had to go through. I do hope you will find answers too. I wish I could be as open and brave like you in dealing with these tests.

Just visited my new doctor who is so nice and understanding. As expected, she ordered the usual cardio workup such as blood tests and ECG for my baseline. I will be having them next week. I'm so dead scared esp about my kidneys. I'm glad your tests came back clear.

Thread Information