Thread: High Pulse at A&E and GP -150BPM - ECG Fine but terrified awaiting 24hr tape

High Pulse at A&E and GP -150BPM - ECG Fine but terrified awaiting 24hr tape

Hi everyone

I have severe health anxiety and went to A and E last week as my calf was swollen so GP wanted me to get a D Dimer blood test. In triage I had a BPM of 144 which I know was due to anxiety. I then had to have an ECG because they freaked and my ECG was normal just very fast at between 112-145 bpm

I got let home with a negative D Dimer which meant no clot.

This week I got hives for very first time which was a delayed reaction to some antibiotics. I went back to GP today as can tell symptoms still there and my heart rate on the oxyimetre was 150bp....she made me lay down and deep breathing and got it down to 111 so she let me go home.

Now I am home its moving between 80 and 100 so I know its anxiety. However I have been referred for a 24 hour tape

I am beyond worried and scared I am going to drop dead.

Re: High Pulse at A&E and GP -150BPM - ECG Fine but terrified awaiting 24hr tape

Honestly they wouldn't let you out of hospital if they thought you were going to drop dead.

You are just very anxious which won't help.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: High Pulse at A&E and GP -150BPM - ECG Fine but terrified awaiting 24hr tape

Thank you. I had got over this heart rate business but then going to Gp today and the nurse not letting me go and mentioning sending me to A and E made it ten times worse

If the ECG was normal then it means even though your heart rate was high you were still in normal sinus rhythm (no arrhythmia). There is no concern with a higher heart rate so long as the rhythm is normal and so there is no reason to worry. It was probably elevated because you were anxious, the fact that the breathing exercise worked further proves that theory.

You won’t drop dead from a normal faster heart rate. I know it feels scary but it’s a normal body response to the given circumstance.

Thank you very much. I just feel like this cannot be good for my heart and so afraid

Quote Originally Posted by emmabombemma View Post
    Thank you very much. I just feel like this cannot be good for my heart and so afraid
    Actually it is good for your heart. Your heart is a muscle, it’s good to give it a work out every now and again. It wouldn’t be good for your heart if your heart rate was that high for a long period of time but you would be surprised at what the heart can handle.
    I have a few different heart arrhythmia’s and two of them come with some very high heart rates, well over 200 beats per minute. My husband has AFIB and he also gets a really high heart rate when he is in AFIB, sometimes takes days before he converts back to sinus rhythm. The doctors are always more concerned with his symptoms then his actual heart rate, he has only had cardio version twice and they only did it because he was so short of breath he couldn’t walk two feet.

Your gonna be fine.
    Last edited by Careful1; 15-06-21 at 14:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Careful1 View Post
    Actually it is good for your heart. Your heart is a muscle, it’s good to give it a work out every now and again. It wouldn’t be good for your heart if your heart rate was that high for a long period of time but you would be surprised at what the heart can handle.
    I have a few different heart arrhythmia’s and two of them come with some very high heart rates, well over 200 beats per minute. My husband has AFIB and he also gets a really high heart rate when he is in AFIB, sometimes takes days before he converts back to sinus rhythm. The doctors are rarely worried about his heart rate being so high for that long, he has only had cardio version twice and they only did it because he was so short of breath he couldn’t walk two feet.

Your gonna be fine.
    Thank you so much this has really calmed me down about my fears

Thread Information