Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonsillitis - How long can it last for?

Tonsillitis - How long can it last for?

Hi,

I was out all day Friday, helping my brother in-law move house. During the day, my throat became very dry as I was worrying about something, which was on my mind.

By dinner time, I could not swallow, food or water as it hurt, but I just carried on helping to move furniture because I thought it was anxiety and got home at 9pm, which then I asked my wife to take a look for me.

She took a look in my mouth and was shocked to what she saw as the dangling thing at the back of my throat had doubled in size and looked very red. My wife then phoned the NHS direct in-case it chocked me during the night. (If I leaned forward I can feel it on my tongue etc). The NHS direct told me to go straight to the A&E, which got me panicking after hearing this.

I got to the A&E and the doctor took my blood pressure, oxygen levels and pulse, which was fine apart from my pulse, which was high as I was worrying..

He told me that my left tonsil was very infected and that dangling thing had swollen.
    He gave me 625mg of AUGMENTIN, 1 to take 3 times a day and I should be better the next day.

I have started to worry today as it is Sunday and my throat is still not better and I was wondering if Sunday is to early for it to show signs of getting better?

Red

Re: Tonsillitis - How long can it last for?

hi. i consider myself somewhat of an expert on tonsillitis!

i suffered as a child and then started again when i was 21 until i was 27. a nasty case of tonsilitis can last at least a week - maybe two and antibiotics take at least 48 hrs to get into your system - you probably won't see a dramatic improvement for another 4/5 days so try not to worry about it. i ended up with chronic tonsillitis for about 6 months and then they removed them but they only remove them if you get 4-5 attacks a year. i was on constant antibiotics for 6 months before i had mine out but that was because they were already so scarred from when i was little - op wasn't pleasant but glad to be rid of them to be honest - haven't had a sore throat in years. lots of rest and fluids is what you need. jo x

Hello.

Another resident expert on tonsillitis! My big ole' diseased tonsils are still sitting there waiting to be lopped off.

Anyhow.

Augmentin - will take a few days to kick in. I believe Penicillin V is the anti-b of choice when it comes to tonsillitis, but Augmentin should be just as good. Make sure you take the whole course, and space them as evenly as possible. I'd be surprised if you were better already to be honest. Tomorrow you should see a small improvement, and it will gradually improve over the course of the week.

You can try a spray from the Chemist called Difflam to help ease the pain. Or, dissolve some soluble Aspirin and gargling with it should help. Neither of these will cure the tonsillitis but will reduce the inflammation and make you feel a bit perkier.

Get well soon! xxx

Hi,

Can Tonsillitis affect that thing which dangles in the back of the throat (not sure of its name)?

Red

hi

- its called something like the uvula? tonsilitis can affect that area so yes - if your tonsil is inflamed then the inflamation can spread to that area.

dying swan - why haven't they taken yours out - are you on a waiting list? i was terrified of having mine out at 27 but i knew they had to go - they just got constantly infected at the end and full of horrible white lumps!

Hello

Yes - the Uvula. It can become inflamed and I'm sure it's just part of the same infection.

Joanna - I was meant to have them out twice last year but....er...cancelled the appointments because I was too scared! So I was taken off the list! I might go for another referral soon and see what happens

Actually Tonsillitis is a very weird thing...They used to just cut them out send you home or freeze them out and send you home and now they have found that.. well possibly you could need them in the future for some reason so they give you antibodies and etc to make it go away..

I have had tonsillitis for almost 30 years off and on..really .. no kidding..I have.. It comes and goes and I run fever and they swell and I just garlgle with warm salt water ,take some over the counter throat sprays or something like a cough drop..that you just take and put in your mouth for awhile..also something I have found that is most excellent..peppermint candy.. just let it stay in your mouth till it melts.

I am not a real firm believer in lots of antibodies and im a survivor of 30 years of the thing you are going through with your tonsills so ..really.. not a biggy .. the warm salt water does miricles for it.

Hi,

I had to go back to the doctors Thursday, the sore throat feeling came back.

The doctor said my throat is very red and looks sore and the Uvula has swollen and is red again.

I asked the doctor if it was anything serious and he said he can not see anything growing and he told me it could be another infection, which I have caught or the same one as before and he did not mention my tonsills and I never thought of asking.

He has put me on ERYTHROMYCIN, which is for seven days.

This time, I can swallow food without pain but today, the Uvula appears as though it is choking me, but if I look in the mirror, it does not look as big at it did last time.

So worried, obviously thinking negative thoughts again.

Red
    Last edited by reddevil; 01-12-07 at 10:27.

I always suffered with swollen tonsils an swollen uvula so i had mine out when i was 17,where my tonsils were is still red an swollen im always suffering with sore throats an swollen glands an worrying about it gives me a choking feeling the amount of times ive been the doctors is unbeleivable an they just say the same thig virus or infection,but some people am just prone to infections and worrying dont help the situation
    celia xxx

Quote Originally Posted by celia davies View Post
    I always suffered with swollen tonsils an swollen uvula so i had mine out when i was 17,where my tonsils were is still red an swollen im always suffering with sore throats an swollen glands an worrying about it gives me a choking feeling the amount of times ive been the doctors is unbeleivable an they just say the same thig virus or infection,but some people am just prone to infections and worrying dont help the situation
    celia xxx

Hi,

Well, I have woken up to the uvula being swollen again, it is touching the back of the tongue, which makes me feel sick and a choking feeling.

Why it keeps coming is worring me.

Red

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information