Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tonsillitis - How long can it last for?

Re: Tonsillitis - How long can it last for?

when i look in the mirror its touchin my tounge,i have a constant lump in my throat when im thinking about it its worse! Go an c your gp if it stops you worrying but if he says theres noting wrong will you beleive him? celia

Smile Re: Tonsillitis - How long can it last for?

Red I had the same issues with my uvula sweling this was and on going problem. dont panic i did and it will do you no good talk to a throat specalist. I ended up having mine removed no big deal good luck and dont panic it will be ok,

I had tonsilitis on and off for a year before they were loped off. It was pretty much constant I don't think that there was a fortnight where I felt well before the next bout would start. spotty tonsils with lots of green stuff, brown stuff and even a bit of blood sometimes.

Problem was delayed appointments meant that that my symptoms were always put down to allergies. I eventually turned up without an appointment and after some ooh-ing and ahh-ing from my gp things started happening.

post surgery, the pain was extreme (I was 23 at the time) the nurses kept me up to my eyeballs on morphine to shut me up. highly recommended. my gp who did the surgery also showed me how it was done and the tools used. interesting, but not for the squeamish

top tip too - one of my friends was studying medicine at the time and said to have a chat with the anethetist and ask for the white stuff which he agreed to. great dreams but I recall being very lippy to the nurses for having woken me up in recovery!

hey, i get tonsilitus 1-2 a month and for 14 years the doctors refused to refere me, it became very sever to the point where i couldn't breath, my tonsils where covered in huge white lumps filled with puss my uvular was swolen double its normal size and bright red, it goes down after about a week and it is incredibly painfull. But if you begin to get it frequently go to your gp and he/she may consider you being refered, i currently have tonsilitus and was at the doctors only yesterday and i saw the nurse and she tolld me because i have had tonsilitus more that 4 times this year after christmas they're going to refere me, hope this helped. Layla xx

I went to the doctor and they told me that I have a bad case of tonsillitis caused by strep. They put me on azithromycin, a liquid antibio because my throat was so swollen and painfull i couldnt swallow any solids. I was told that it woukd be cleared up in five days, but its day 6 amd while i can now breath, talk, and swallw, and the redness is gone, Instill feel some of the effects of tonsillitis. This is the first time i've ever had it but my grandmother had it many times. I still have a little bit of a sore throat but mostly on the right sife cause thst side was the worst. My tonsils are not swollen anymore but my neck is still stiff and im still having mild headaches. I'm a couple months pregnant and I dont know if that makes any difference since my doctor couldnt be bothered to answer that.
    Anyone know if this is normal? I'm really worried.

---------- Post added at 04:33 ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 ----------

And my glanda are still pretty swollen, not ad big as they were but should they take a while to go down?

Hi everyone. I've had tonsillitis now at least 7-9 times a year for the past three years, but my doctors do not seem willing to allow me to have my tonsils removed. I usually manage to struggle on, but it has got to the point where it is literally unbearable. I am constantly on antibiotics- 500mg 750ml 4 times a day, and haven't been on them for 6 months straight at the moment. Usually dosing up on paracetomal or ibuprofen helps to ease the pain, but this time it really isn't doing anything (nor the antibiotics!) I was just wondering if anyone had any advice either to do with helping to ease the pain, or how to persuade your doctors to remove the tonsils. I'm going to Corfu in July and really don't want to be ill whilst I am there. I am really missing feeling healthy and joining in my day to day life- we really do take swallowing pain free for granted! Thanks!

I'm currently suffering with sever case of toncerlitis, now I've had it numerous time but never this sever. I was in hospital because my temperature was very high and the swelling of my tonsils, I couldnt breathe properly. I was also very dehydrated. I've been on 2 tablets of paracetamol & 2 tablets of ibuprofen every 4hours and 2 tables of antibiotics every 6hours.. very painful.. all I've done is sleep. I was told will take 10-12 days for them to be complete infection free.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information