Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Might I have HPV throat cancer?

Question Might I have HPV throat cancer?

I’ve had these weird spots at the back of my throat for over a year. There are two of them and although they haven’t grown, I’ve become very concerned they are cancerous or precancerous HPV lesions. They’re like small pimples. I don’t know whether they’re just the normal bumpiness of the throat or something sinister.

Although I’ve only had one sexual partner who themselves had also only been with me, I have shared a cannabis
    vape several times with people so I’m concerned I may have caught HPV from someone and now have the cancer.

Any of the people I shared the vape with may have caught HPV off of anyone they themselves were in contact with, surely making the pool of people I could’ve caught it from endless!

Whats more, HPV related throat cancer is on the rise in people in men in their 20s and 30s and I’m 24. I guess the fact that they haven’t grown larger in over a year is good? But maybe they don’t grow even if they’re cancerous.

what’s the likelihood I have something to worry about here? Should I go to the doctors and get this investigated? Or would you just leave it alone? I’ve been to the doctors so many times in the last couple of months I can’t even count, so I don’t know if this is just my HA playing up again or something I need to be concerned about.

Many thanks.

Re: Might I have HPV throat cancer?

I had HPV related H&N cancer. I can assure you, if it's been a year since you noticed this, you'd be very ill. This is not realistic based on your post.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I had HPV related H&N cancer. I can assure you, if it's been a year since you noticed this, you'd be very ill. This is not realistic based on your post.

FMP
    Thanks for the reply fishman. I know you yourself had a very tough ordeal so it’s reassuring to hear this. Even if it isn’t cancer now, though, could I be looking at something that’s pre-cancerous? Would you advise investigating it on those grounds? I’m not really sure how the HPV/cancer relationship works, and I mustn’t research it online for fear of going down a rabbit hole.

I would advise seeking real life help for the illness you do have.... HA

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by LG18 View Post
    Thanks for the reply fishman. I know you yourself had a very tough ordeal so it’s reassuring to hear this. Even if it isn’t cancer now, though, could I be looking at something that’s pre-cancerous? Would you advise investigating it on those grounds? I’m not really sure how the HPV/cancer relationship works, and I mustn’t research it online for fear of going down a rabbit hole.
    They’ve been there for a year with no real change. I wouldn’t rush to the doc at this point if it were me. Mention it at your next scheduled physical, sure. But I wouldn’t make an appt just for that.

Thanks for the replies. I’m starting to spiral with this one unfortunately. I’ve moved from thinking it might be HPV to lymphoma; apparently what I have is something called cobble stone throat. The spots look very much like this. It’s apparently swollen lymphatic tissue, and coupled with the swollen nodes in my neck, perhaps this is some spreading from that. I saw a picture of someone with lymphoma who had something that looked similar. It was redder and there were more of them, but maybe this particular form doesn’t grow like the usual form — and so I might be able to have had this for a year without noticing change.

Then there’s the possibility of the chronic inflammation raising my risk of throat cancer, as apparently can be the case with chronic granular pharyngitis which also causes the cobble stone throat thing.

It can apparently be harmless, and is most often caused by post nasal drip and seasonal allergies, but I don’t really know whether I have anything like that. I don’t have the classic hay fever symptoms of blocked nose and sneezing, but I do often have some mucus issues at the back of my throat, but I don’t know how likely the link is.

I’ve also noticed either side of my throat some elongated yellowish, mottled tissue, which I presume is related. I’m also starting to convince myself there are in fact new lumps even if the main two haven’t grown.

I just can’t seem to keep my thoughts under control. Every time I have a few days that I manage to resit my checking compulsions, it all comes to a head and bubbles over, and I end up convincing myself that I have a plethora of terrible illnesses and can’t pull myself away from researching online.

Quote Originally Posted by LG18 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I’m starting to spiral with this one unfortunately. I’ve moved from thinking it might be HPV to lymphoma; apparently what I have is something called cobble stone throat. The spots look very much like this. It’s apparently swollen lymphatic tissue, and coupled with the swollen nodes in my neck, perhaps this is some spreading from that. I saw a picture of someone with lymphoma who had something that looked similar. It was redder and there were more of them, but maybe this particular form doesn’t grow like the usual form — and so I might be able to have had this for a year without noticing change.

Then there’s the possibility of the chronic inflammation raising my risk of throat cancer, as apparently can be the case with chronic granular pharyngitis which also causes the cobble stone throat thing.

It can apparently be harmless, and is most often caused by post nasal drip and seasonal allergies, but I don’t really know whether I have anything like that. I don’t have the classic hay fever symptoms of blocked nose and sneezing, but I do often have some mucus issues at the back of my throat, but I don’t know how likely the link is.

I’ve also noticed either side of my throat some elongated yellowish, mottled tissue, which I presume is related. I’m also starting to convince myself there are in fact new lumps even if the main two haven’t grown.

I just can’t seem to keep my thoughts under control. Every time I have a few days that I manage to resit my checking compulsions, it all comes to a head and bubbles over, and I end up convincing myself that I have a plethora of terrible illnesses and can’t pull myself away from researching online.
    My dad has throat cancer. He had no lumps kr bumps. All he had was a constant horse voice that went for months.

This is not how HPV throat cancer presents itself. You have Health Anxiety. You need to accept this and get treatment for what you do have.

I'd rather be dead than live in hell above ground. And that's what HA is.

May I ask how old you are?

Thanks, wishing your dad the best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information