Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Might I have HPV throat cancer?

Re: Might I have HPV throat cancer?

Quote Originally Posted by Anxiouscow View Post
    May I ask how old you are?
    I’m 24 but apparently HPV throat cancer is on the rise in my age group. Many thanks.

HPV is a sexually transmitted disease. You don't get it sharing a vape. Did you have oral sex with someone who has HPV? If not, put this to rest. At your age, I would suggest getting the HPV vaccine based on your fear.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    HPV is a sexually transmitted disease. You don't get it sharing a vape. Did you have oral sex with someone who has HPV? If not, put this to rest. At your age, I would suggest getting the HPV vaccine based on your fear.

FMP
    Right I see. Is that because the trace amount of saliva that might be on the vape wouldn’t be enough to pass on the virus?

I don’t think there is a HPV vaccine for this in the U.K. unfortunately. There’s the one for women with cervical cancer but I don’t think there’s one for men for protecting against the throat cancer. Many thanks.

No, men and women can be vaccinated against HPV. It's the very first result I found on Google.

Quoting from the CDC website:
    (The) HPV vaccine was developed to prevent cervical and other cancers of the reproductive system. The vaccineprotects against the types of HPV that can cause oropharyngeal cancers, so it may also prevent oropharyngeal cancers.

Quote Originally Posted by LG18 View Post
    I’m 24 but apparently HPV throat cancer is on the rise in my age group. Many thanks.
    Without being patronising, you are a classic HA case. I was exactly the same as you, looking for probability of outcomes, looking for meaning in almost everything that anybody says etc. Throat cancer, caused by HPV or not, is extremely rare in people in their 20's, whether it is on the rise or not. I'll think you'll find, with better diagnostic methods and a rapidly increasing world population, that most diseases are "on the rise."

You can't get HPV from sharing a vape, as FMP has already said. You are spiralling out of control about a non-issue. I don't want you to continue wasting your time because I wasted a lot of time doing exactly what you are doing now, and I didn't die from or get any of the diseases that I thought I was going to get.

Anxiouscow

And FYI, if you are interested in statistics, in a two year period between 2015 and 2017, only 12 people were diagnosed with any form of H&N cancer (not just laryngeal cancer) in your age group.

That equates to 0.7 people per 100,000. 1 in 43,000 people per year die at work. But you aren't scared of dying at work are you?

I hope you kick this episode of HA up the a**e.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    No, men and women can be vaccinated against HPV. It's the very first result I found on Google.

Quoting from the CDC website:
    (The) HPV vaccine was developed to prevent cervical and other cancers of the reproductive system. The vaccineprotects against the types of HPV that can cause oropharyngeal cancers, so it may also prevent oropharyngeal cancers.
    Indeed, I just looked it up and it was brought in for males in 2018. When I was at school it was only offered to girls, so I’ll certainly try and get vaccinated for this.

Thanks.

Without being patronising, you are a classic HA case. I was exactly the same as you, looking for probability of outcomes, looking for meaning in almost everything that anybody says etc. Throat cancer, caused by HPV or not, is extremely rare in people in their 20's, whether it is on the rise or not. I'll think you'll find, with better diagnostic methods and a rapidly increasing world population, that most diseases are "on the rise."

You can't get HPV from sharing a vape, as FMP has already said. You are spiralling out of control about a non-issue. I don't want you to continue wasting your time because I wasted a lot of time doing exactly what you are doing now, and I didn't die from or get any of the diseases that I thought I was going to get.
    I know I am, I just can’t seem to stop spiralling. Like even having being momentarily reassured about the fact I couldn’t catch it from the vape, now I’m considering the people I’ve kissed in the past when I was at school, and the people they may have kissed; or the fact that although I’ve only had one sexual partner (and so had she), I know she had kissed other people at party’s and stuff before me. I guess I’m just paranoid about catching it.
    How did you get over your anxiety? Thanks.

And FYI, if you are interested in statistics, in a two year period between 2015 and 2017, only 12 people were diagnosed with any form of H&N cancer (not just laryngeal cancer) in your age group.

That equates to 0.7 people per 100,000. 1 in 43,000 people per year die at work. But you aren't scared of dying at work are you?

I hope you kick this episode of HA up the a**e.
    That’s good to know and does put things in perspective. Although, isn’t that just because it takes years to develop? I guess I’m worried the stuff in my throat is pre-cancerous and will develop into something later on, at an age where head and neck HPV cancers are more common.

While some may argue to the contrary, kissing isn't 'oral sex' Nothing else to say really....

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information