Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Heart Health Anxiety.... Again

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    57

    Heart Health Anxiety.... Again

    So I've had palpitations for years. They started in 2013. Had all the tests under the sun including an echocardiogram and was given the all clear.

    The palps were put down to reflux and anxiety.

    Then I just kind of went on with my life, still had episodes and sometimes those episodes have kicked off my anxiety but always been told it's nothing.

    However sometimes lately I've noticed when I get them I get like a tingling zappy sensation in my arms or across my chest. So now I'm freaking out I've got some undiagnosed condition.

    I've literally just sat here working on the sofa, had a palpitation and got tingling down both arms and in my head. Then felt really hot and sick. Have also thrown up since.

    I will say that since that footballer collapsed Saturday my heart anxiety has gone through the roof again so could it just be that subconsciously playing on my mind? Or should I get my heart checked again?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,708

    Re: Heart Health Anxiety.... Again

    Quote Originally Posted by WorryWendy View Post
    So I've had palpitations for years. They started in 2013. Had all the tests under the sun including an echocardiogram and was given the all clear.

    The palps were put down to reflux and anxiety.

    Then I just kind of went on with my life, still had episodes and sometimes those episodes have kicked off my anxiety but always been told it's nothing.

    However sometimes lately I've noticed when I get them I get like a tingling zappy sensation in my arms or across my chest. So now I'm freaking out I've got some undiagnosed condition.

    I've literally just sat here working on the sofa, had a palpitation and got tingling down both arms and in my head. Then felt really hot and sick. Have also thrown up since.

    I will say that since that footballer collapsed Saturday my heart anxiety has gone through the roof again so could it just be that subconsciously playing on my mind? Or should I get my heart checked again?
    There appears to be connection to Eriksen's cardiac arrest. You may have seen several threads of the same nature? So I'd say that this sounds very much like anxiety - even throwing up - which I've done numerous times with mine. Yes, our thoughts can absolutely cause these symptoms (stress response), but if chest symptoms are new for you, and you haven't experienced this before with your anxiety, then it's common sense to get checked out by your GP.
    __________________
    Fall Down Seven Times, Get Up Eight.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    692

    Re: Heart Health Anxiety.... Again

    Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    There appears to be connection to Eriksen's cardiac arrest. You may have seen several threads of the same nature? So I'd say that this sounds very much like anxiety - even throwing up - which I've done numerous times with mine. Yes, our thoughts can absolutely cause these symptoms (stress response), but if chest symptoms are new for you, and you haven't experienced this before with your anxiety, then it's common sense to get checked out by your GP.
    I agree totally. I have all kinds of weird things happen when I have anxiety. Tingling is a common thing for me in my arms, wobbly feeling in my chest, hot flushes which aren't the menopause, wobbly legs, headaches and yes there has been occasional puking.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    657

    Re: Heart Health Anxiety.... Again

    Your symptoms sound very much like anxiety. I have arrhythmiaís and am in tons of groups where we discuss them all day long and myself nor anyone I have ever came across has these symptoms with their arrhythmiaís but I do get these symptoms and more when Iím anxious.

    Hearing that someone suffered cardiac arrest is definitely scary but itís highly likely this football player had an undiagnosed heart problem or congenital heart condition that placed him at an increased risk for sudden death that he probably didnít even know he had. You on the other hand mentioned having a previous cardiac work up that included an echocardiogram, if you had a structural heart issue that placed you at risk they would have seen it. *Most* palpitations even ones caused by the *majority* of arrhythmiaís are benign in a structurally normal heart.

    Iím guessing this is all probably just anxiety however if these are not like the symptoms you normally get with your anxiety then it doesnít hurt to get an appointment with your primary care doctor and let him/her check you over.
    Last edited by Careful1; 17-06-21 at 20:28.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    57

    Re: Heart Health Anxiety.... Again

    Thanks everyone. I think it was a panic attack. It's been so long since I had one and it came (almost) completely out the blue. Guess it's brewing all week.

    I do sometimes wake up with my heart pounding but this has been going on years and usually linked to stress and anxiety.

    Now just to get myself calm again.

  6. #6

    Re: Heart Health Anxiety.... Again

    Just want to say I have worries like this too. In fact I just started a thread. It is very frustrating. Just wanted to say I know how you feel. I'm gonna try contact GP today, but at the moment it's a nightmare to get through to the doctor's office at the moment.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    691

    Re: Heart Health Anxiety.... Again

    Quote Originally Posted by WorryWendy View Post
    Thanks everyone. I think it was a panic attack. It's been so long since I had one and it came (almost) completely out the blue. Guess it's brewing all week.

    I do sometimes wake up with my heart pounding but this has been going on years and usually linked to stress and anxiety.

    Now just to get myself calm again.
    That sounds like a typical panic episode for me as well, especially when I haven't had a real panic attack in a long time. I think we try to forget what they feel like after a while because it's so unpleasant, and perhaps we're hopeful that we just won't have them again. Then when they do happen, we're taken by surprise and we feel like it's worse than ever. That's how it is for me at least.

    I also often wake up with my heart pounding, either upon waking or very shortly thereafter. I've mentioned it to a few different doctors/nurses over the past few years (the doctor office I used to go to had providers coming and going all the time) and they essentially dismiss the concern, and sometimes put it down to anxiety.

    I understand how difficult it is to get yourself back to a calm place, unfortunately. You will get there though.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    57

    Re: Heart Health Anxiety.... Again

    So a little update on this. Still getting palps most days. Went back on Omeprazole 3 days ago for reflux and they do seem to have calmed a fair bit since I've been taking them - my palpitations were put down to reflux years ago.

    Anyway, had a telephone appointment with my GP on Friday and she's recommended I have an up to date ECG (last one was last February in A&E) and another blood test as she said it could be thyroid related. Again, tested for this 2 years ago and was fine.

    But I just can't shake the feeling that something feels "off" in my chest. I can't explain it but I have good days and then I have days or moments (like now) where I think I'm going to drop down dead.

    When I had my ECG last year, it came out with an auto reading of abnormal. I queried this with the consultant and he said it always says that if your heart rate is too high (mine was over 100 at the time)

    Is this true? Or did it pick something up and they've missed it?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    657

    Re: Heart Health Anxiety.... Again

    Doctors always manually read the ECG, they never go by the computerís interpretation of an ECG as itís not uncommon for the computer to call a completely normal ECG abnormal. If your doctor said your ECG was normal, no matter what it says on the print out, you can trust that the doctor knows how to read an ECG and itís normal.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    57

    Re: Heart Health Anxiety.... Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Careful1 View Post
    Doctors always manually read the ECG, they never go by the computerís interpretation of an ECG as itís not uncommon for the computer to call a completely normal ECG abnormal. If your doctor said your ECG was normal, no matter what it says on the print out, you can trust that the doctor knows how to read an ECG and itís normal.

    That's true. I'm hoping these weird feelings are just reflux.

    Woke up this morning feeling really sick and just haven't felt right since.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Heart Health Anxiety
    By Mrspanic in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-08-14, 17:14
  2. heart health anxiety
    By scaredsobad in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 29-01-14, 18:56
  3. Heart related health anxiety
    By rosso1992 in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-11-13, 12:27
  4. AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH - Health (heart) Anxiety
    By CharlieM in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-05-13, 15:49
  5. anxiety and heart health
    By ccflaherty in forum Symptoms
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-03-13, 11:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •