Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had very weird dream last night

Had very weird dream last night

Last night, I had a very strange dream that's making me feel a bit unsettled this morning. It was about me being sent to live in a care home for problem teenagers, despite me being 44 years old next month.

The care home in the dream was an absolute hell-hole run by hopeless staff members who were intent on playing the blame game and some of the (teenage) residents had knives, did drugs, smoked cigarettes inside the building, fought and used foul language constantly, played gangsta-rap music full blast day in day out, bullied me and invaded my privacy, and the staff said they were powerless to stop them, as they (the staff) were scared of those kids!

The reason why I was admitted to that particular care home in the dream was because it was the only place with a vacancy, despite me being a middle-aged Autie adult, and the place being extremely unsuitable not just for me personally but totally age and needs-inappropriate.

Has there ever been any real-life instances in this country where adults with LDs have had to share care facilities with children and teenagers due to a chronic shortage of suitable/ appropriate facilities?

Re: Had very weird dream last night

Please don't research this, Lenco? You know what will happen.

This was a dream based on your fears. Who would actually fund you to go to a care home for problem teenagers anyway? You would have a say in any future provision. You are an adult with capacity.

This is just your brain Lenco. You talk about this kind of thing a lot, so you obviously think about it a lot, and your brain has a sort out of what you've been thinking/watching throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Please don't research this, Lenco? You know what will happen.

This was a dream based on your fears. Who would actually fund you to go to a care home for problem teenagers anyway? You would have a say in any future provision. You are an adult with capacity.
    I wouldn't even dare to go down that road, especially as some fake news-monger is bound to have put something up online about it.

Even so, such phenomena sounds extremely far-fetched and highly unlikely IRL.

Would probably make for an interesting story in a film though.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    This is just your brain Lenco. You talk about this kind of thing a lot, so you obviously think about it a lot, and your brain has a sort out of what you've been thinking/watching throughout the day.
    Probably the trigger for said dream last night was an article on the BBC News (on TV on BBC 1 at 6 pm) yesterday about the UK's care system being broken for several years now, where a young woman with ASD was interviewed and said she had been in care since the age of 2 and shifted between multiple homes throughout her childhood which unsettled her big time.

Having said that, my first respite unit that I attended some 30 years ago lumped kids aged 0-18 all together at random, which was an extremely ill-thought out idea by the Social Services dept of Staffs CC at the time.

Mind you, they have always seemingly been hell-bent on saving as much money and doing as little as possible, ever since I can remember.

You are happy with your current day care placement though. Are you worried that it will all come to an end?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    You are happy with your current day care placement though. Are you worried that it will all come to an end?
    I suppose I am, but the subject of that unsettling dream doesn't really affect my current day care placement. In fact I actually feel rather at peace there generally.

I think it's more the all-round oddness of said dream that disturbed me, fully grown adults like me being lumped together in care with problematic teenagers, which all sounds extremely far-fetched.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having digs at all teenagers, nor all care facilities, whichever age groups and/or abilities they cater for.

No one has suggested I must go into care at any time soon, but in such a worst-case scenario, I would wish it to be as orderly as possible, and a place not overrun with useless no-hopers, be they staff members or other fellow residents.

I'm sorry, but "useless no-hoper" is a shocking way to refer to any human being.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I'm sorry, but "useless no-hoper" is a shocking way to refer to any human being.
    While I wasn't naming any names per se, nor would ever dream of saying it to anyone's face, I seriously apologise for causing offence to you and others with said reference.

It's okay, and I know you'd never say it to anyone. It just might be worth thinking about and working on the way you see other people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information