Thread: I had a bad panic attack last weekend and now worried about my heart. Any advice?

I had a bad panic attack last weekend and now worried about my heart. Any advice?

I had a panic attack last weekend that was quite bad. I couldn't relax and still haven't. My anxiety levels have been pretty high ever since then. My chest felt tight, some pain and aching, the usual. The pain radiates through to my back and I feel the occasional jaw ache too.

I have had similar before a few times and so I am logically trying to reassure myself it's just anxiety. It is so annoying and frustrating. I haven't contacted the Dr as I have been trying to reassure myself and calm myself down, but it's not been easy.

It has somewhat affected my sleep as I am still on edge, touching my chest, worrying. Last night I slept a lot better as I went out yesterday to see a friend and walk around, but as soon as I'm back home my anxiety levels rise again and it sets me off again.

What can you suggest? I'd love some helpful advice please.

Re: I had a bad panic attack last weekend and now worried about my heart. Any advice?

"I am still on edge, touching my chest, worrying" - what exactly do you mean by this? Do you mean you poke / press at your chest when you feel this way, as if it is reassuring when you can realize it's musculoskeletal?

I ask because I have a bad habit of doing that as well. Any time I feel anxious and my chest gets that tightness sensation, I start poking at it. Most often I don't realize I'm doing it until I've made a spot sore to touch. I feel like I do this because if I can reproduce the pain by touch, I know it's musculoskeletal and not my heart. If that makes sense?

I've been working to break that habit. It's not the worst thing we could be doing, but it's still not ultimately helpful, IMO.

Otherwise, I can still relate completely. Any time I have a severe panic attack it can take days, even a couple of weeks, to fully recover. Until then, I'm on edge and I feel quite cruddy, physically and mentally. I just try to remember that it's just like any other panic attack, and I'll be fine. Deep breathing exercises tend to help quite a bit as well.

Thread Information