Thread: Is it best to avoid taking medication if a person can?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is it best to avoid taking medication if a person can?

I can't say I'm a big fan of taking medication for my anxiety, but in the past I've taken beta blockers, from 40mg to 60mg. I think they did help, but I always thought I mainly got over my anxiety because I stopped overthinking about every little thing. Just wondered what you guys thought?

Re: Is it best to avoid taking medication if a person can?

I take antidepressants and promethazine for my anxiety at the moment. They have helped me a lot - I'm by no means cured, currently started a CBT course and started seeing a new therapist. Still have a long way to go.

I guess it's personal choice and what works best for you. I wouldn't condemn someone for taking or not taking something, it's what works best for you.

Exactly. I couldn't manage without my ADs, but more power to you if you can.

I think that if you can manage your anxiety without medication then you are doing all the right things and that's great but if you can't and are still doing everything that's advised then maybe that's the time to consider help from meds.

Didn't like them until I started taking 15mg Mirtzapine mainly for sleep. I found that my anxiety was mostly caused by poor sleep, and so in that way, Mirtazapine saved my life. Having said that, the key to beating anxiety is in your own head. If you can unlock it and beat it on your own, all power to you.

I take a half a dozen prescriptions (as well as vitamins and supplements) for my physical issues. I've taken psych meds as well when I dealt with some depression and had some for 'scanxiety' after my cancer. I have a pill box with AM and PM compartments as I take so many. I'm not fond of it but as my doctor said when I complained about it....

"Be thankful we live in a time when a little pill can improve the quality of our lives."

So my thoughts are just that. You may not want to but the benefit far outweighs your preference.

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 18-06-21 at 14:53.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information