Thread: Need help! headache when straining

Need help! headache when straining

Sick to my stomach thinking I have a brain tumor. 3x when I had a bowel movement this week the straining caused a shape moderate pain and throb in my head. Have been having these off and on for a week but bowel movement exasperated it for sure. Neck and shoulder muscles sore from earlier this week so could be that but ready to go to ER and ask for a scan 😓it’s called an exertion headache

I am sick over this. 2 small kids to take care of an waiting to hear the news that I have a fatal brain tumor.

Has anyone had this and it be NOTHING?

Not sure if next step. PCP out until Monday.

Re: Need help! headache when straining

I can't tell you how many times that's happened to me and in addition getting dizzy straining. You're really overreacting here.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I felt that maybe you don’t fully understand what I’m saying bc it’s a not a normal occurrence. Straining during a bowel movement is a neurological thing and often needs an MRI ( look up excertion headache) I too have gotten like dizzy or lightheaded but never before this week had actual severe head pain during a BM and then it goes away shortly after. I’m really really scared and wanted to go to ER for a CT but my family stopped me. No one trusts me or believes me anymore due to years of anxiety. It’s awful.

Quote Originally Posted by LilyLabVA View Post
    Sick to my stomach thinking I have a brain tumor. 3x when I had a bowel movement this week the straining caused a shape moderate pain and throb in my head. Have been having these off and on for a week but bowel movement exasperated it for sure. Neck and shoulder muscles sore from earlier this week so could be that but ready to go to ER and ask for a scan 😓it’s called an exertion headache

I am sick over this. 2 small kids to take care of an waiting to hear the news that I have a fatal brain tumor.

Has anyone had this and it be NOTHING?

Not sure if next step. PCP out until Monday.
    You are really worrying over nothing, honestly. Those are not symptoms consistent with a brain tumour.

Anxiouscow

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I felt that maybe you don’t fully understand what I’m saying bc it’s a not a normal occurrence. Straining during a bowel movement is a neurological thing and often needs an MRI ( look up excertion headache) I too have gotten like dizzy or lightheaded but never before this week had actual severe head pain during a BM and then it goes away shortly after. I’m really really scared and wanted to go to ER for a CT but my family stopped me. No one trusts me or believes me anymore due to years of anxiety. It’s awful.
    I agree... just looking at your post history is evidence of just how awful it is. I know what an exertion headache is because I've gotten them, but you've allowed Dr Google to show you the worst possible case scenarios and latched onto that as opposed to the most common and benign reasons. Look... do what you feel you need to do. The 'Told Ya So Gang' will be on standby

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Thank you. It means a lot that you are helping me. I just spoke to my psychiatrist who is was a former practitioner and he is not concerned at all.
    What is your experience with exertional headache and what testing was done?

Had them after a hard workout. Had them when straining on the toilet. Had them due to a coughing spell. Had them after rather vigorous bedroom escapades No testing was done or needed to be done. They happen, they're normal and not life threatening

FMP

This really helps me. I’m a grown women at my moms crying. She won’t talk to me bc she’s sick of my anxiety. It feels real each time. I’m not 100% better but I do feel somewhat like I’m not definitely going to die. I don’t understand why most headache sites even reputable ones say imaging is needed with this. I’m scared to go #2 now lol

So this has happened 2 more time now when I raise my voice or yell.
    I had to hell across the yard to have my son come inside and the pain zapped right then .
    This morning my dogs got into a fight over their food bowls and holler snd then pain. Ugh

I just spoke to my psychiatrist who is was a former practitioner and he is not concerned at all.
    You've gone from being reassured to seeking reassurance in two sentences.

I'm not exaggerating when I say, I've literally seen stars during some of my poo-pushin' sessions!

I'd be concentrating on the real issue - which is constipation.

If it helps, I have found that one tbsp of olive oil (extra virgin & organic) before my main mean, plus a kiwi fruit - hits the spot and I'm going regularly and without straining - and that's including when I have to take the constipation inducing co-codamol for my migraines etc.

If that fails, I take some magnesium or I have an argument with Gary A.

Thread Information