Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Delta variant

Re: Delta variant

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    82% are vaccinated 60 odd percent will have two doses by freedom day seemingly. Not sure the target for 1st dose why not tell us how many millions have yet to have the jab? I read something like 60% of cases are unjabbed so 40% either had one dose or two doses not working. I believe Australia have said the jabs don’t stop you getting the virus. Percentage wise we have under 18’s and 18% of adults unjabbed is that enough to record more cases than pre lockdown? I asked before but how can you be sure once people are double jabbed cases will fall when I am reading vaccinated people getting this?
    A positive test doesn’t always equate to an active infection. PCR tests are designed to detect the presence or lack thereof of viral particles. It does not mean that the virus is either multiplying or shedding. It just means the virus is present. It could even be dead viral particles that the immune system has taken out.

The fact that either unvaccinated or single dose vaccinated people are making up the vast majority of cases points toward two doses providing sterilising immunity. However, we just won’t know for sure until an adequate amount of people have received two doses.

And once again, new cases simply DO NOT have the same impact as they once did. With both the first and second waves, meteoric rises in cases such as we’re seeing now would have the country in strict lockdown. Yet, we’re hearing of ALL restrictions being abandoned within the next two months. Why do you think that is?

New cases are far less relevant when upwards of 90% of them experience either mild illness or nothing at all. The remaining 10% might have worse symptoms, even spend a day or two in hospital, but the threat of hospital wards stacked full of poor souls fighting for breath will be reduced to the point of being far less likely than a slightly rough flu season.

To be fair, Carys makes a good point. This thread has been hijacked by us both. Perhaps take this elsewhere or start another thread, if allowed of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    A positive test doesn’t always equate to an active infection. PCR tests are designed to detect the presence or lack thereof of viral particles. It does not mean that the virus is either multiplying or shedding. It just means the virus is present. It could even be dead viral particles that the immune system has taken out.

The fact that either unvaccinated or single dose vaccinated people are making up the vast majority of cases points toward two doses providing sterilising immunity. However, we just won’t know for sure until an adequate amount of people have received two doses.

And once again, new cases simply DO NOT have the same impact as they once did. With both the first and second waves, meteoric rises in cases such as we’re seeing now would have the country in strict lockdown. Yet, we’re hearing of ALL restrictions being abandoned within the next two months. Why do you think that is?

New cases are far less relevant when upwards of 90% of them experience either mild illness or nothing at all. The remaining 10% might have worse symptoms, even spend a day or two in hospital, but the threat of hospital wards stacked full of poor souls fighting for breath will be reduced to the point of being far less likely than a slightly rough flu season.
    Ok thanks that makes sense so cases mean less as people get less ill spend less time in hospital. Apologies for posting here just wanted to ask the question somewhere. When I see cases rising it’s been a trigger for my anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Yeah, I thought that when building up to mine, I didn't want the thinking time. If somebody came and did it quickly when I was at the 'right point' in my rationalisation process, before I swung back the other way , it would have been much better. As Green tea has asked, do you have a walk in centre ?
    EXACTLY Carys the thinking time is wreaking havoc and absolutely do it quickly when I'm in the right frame of mind.. the swinging back in forth is exhausting. In case you did not see my reply to Green tea, yes we have many walk in locations. All corner pharmacies and many grocery stores are walk in. I was told tonight that in some stores the pharmacy technicians are walking around in the store asking customers shopping if they'd like their covid shot.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Ok thanks that makes sense so cases mean less as people get less ill spend less time in hospital. Apologies for posting here just wanted to ask the question somewhere. When I see cases rising it’s been a trigger for my anxiety.
    Phil, it is a cause for concern when daily cases rise, but as Gary keeps suggesting, case increases in general don't carry the same weight now that they did during the first two waves, plus the media are now barely making a song and dancing over it.

If there were still no jabs (which I know you're still not enthusiastic about), it would be a very different story and probably would have meant an automatic full-on national lockdown for the umpteenth time, of which there's still no talk of this time round.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    EXACTLY Carys the thinking time is wreaking havoc and absolutely do it quickly when I'm in the right frame of mind.. the swinging back in forth is exhausting. In case you did not see my reply to Green tea, yes we have many walk in locations. All corner pharmacies and many grocery stores are walk in. I was told tonight that in some stores the pharmacy technicians are walking around in the store asking customers shopping if they'd like their covid shot.
    That would be ideal for you, Nancy. No time to think about it..just get it done. That's if you really want the jab and I think you do.

Door to door jabs would be such a good idea for a lot of people, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    That would be ideal for you, Nancy. No time to think about it..just get it done. That's if you really want the jab and I think you do.

Door to door jabs would be such a good idea for a lot of people, wouldn't it?
    Yes it would and yes I do.

I think I have some sort of anticipation anxiety, what ever it is its like a brick wall.

Anticipatory anxiety is the worst thing to have to deal with when you're really stressed and fearful about something. Once it's actually happening it's not so bad because you're dealing with it rather than worrying about it.

Maybe you could pay a random visit to a pharmacy just to buy something routine and then see whether you could literally just get a jab without any waiting whatsoever? If you can't then come away again. You only went to the pharmacy to buy something anyway.

Maybe you could pay a random visit to a pharmacy just to buy something routine and then see whether you could literally just get a jab without any waiting whatsoever? If you can't then come away again. You only went to the pharmacy to buy something anyway.
    Great idea. You have in all honesty thought about it all you need to think about it now. In your heart you want this (I think ?), there are going to be no new facts or anything ground breaking or earth shattering that comes up and changes your ability to accept more easily. So, might as well as just 'have a try' at a quick zap.

It would just be a "try", Nancy? Don't tell anyone, just go and see how you feel when you are there?

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information