Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Suicidal fears

Re: Suicidal fears

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    I know I'm not a psychiatrist, but I do have a background in psych, and I willing teach a special education class every year for kids with learning disabilities and mental illness that might affect their learning. So I see a lot of the under 25 start up with meds. This is what I have noticed with the meds and suicidal thoughts:

I think the reason that these meds can bring out suicidal tendencies in the 25 and under group and others is this: Often when people are so depressed, they lack the motivation to do anything, even suicide. Even that kind of plan and carrying it out seems like too much work. Too many brain cells have been killed off by stress chemicals to give a damn about anything. But then you start up anti-depressants, and suddenly the production of brain cells starts up again. The factory machinery has been greased so to speak. This can often give enough umph to make young people carry out the plan that they have lacked too much motivation to do. Additionally, for some folks, there is that start-up anxiety that kinda makes you feel like your skin is crawling, and I think that feeling just pushes some over the edge.

Docs have only noticed the suicidal tendencies with start-ups or restarts. So to me, I'm pretty sure this is what's going on. Once people are stabilized with meds, those thoughts go away or they might pop up, but the patients don't dwell on them. But it takes 6-12 weeks in people to get stabilized on meds. They aren't like popping tylenol. They have to build up in your system and their by-product is that they regenerate brain cells in the long term.

I think you can successfully start meds as long as you are aware of these issues. Being cognizant of problems like this often makes the difference. Also, make sure your support network of family and friends are aware of these issues so that they can help support you when you start meds.

Meds can really improve your quality of life is you take the time to find the right one and dosage for you. For me, they really stop me from dwelling on the intrusive thoughts that hijack my thinking.
    Hi antsy thanks for reply❤️

I understand what you are saying I’ve even researched about this and many websites say the same thing.

Thing is my GP is refusing to give me antidepressants and I’m so desperate for them she is just recommending counselling and online 1 to 1 sessions like that’s going to rewire the damaged brain I have.

I’ve told her that I’ve done the sessions, I’ve talked to many people I’m going go into 1 to 1 sessions with professionals soon but i NEED some sort of medicine my depression is really severe but I’ve forced myself to be just a little productive but I’m still extremely low and have no motivation

I feel like I’m being tortured.

Well, I can see where your GP is coming from. Therapy is the MOST effective treatment for most mental illnesses. If you feel that you really need the meds, then you need to prove to your GP that you have a plan in place to handle them. Show your GP that you know you must still go to therapy even if you're on the meds. Also come up with a plan for having suicidal thoughts while on the meds. Who will you call to talk to them? Whose house can you visit when you are feeling alone and look at the bleach? Docs will not take chances with the lives of their patients, so you need to demonstrate that you are mature enough to have a set plan in place if the meds give you those thoughts.

Hi antsy

I have already wrote up a safety plan with my GP like 2 months ago and she was supposed to give me medicine then.
    It’s basically the safety suicide plan on the nhs and it’s very detailed and I went over it with her.
    I guess I have to ask her again and really convince her even though she knows my situation is serious.
    She’s getting my counselling sorted and therapy sessions but that to me is NOT enough.
    I hate that she’s dragging this on she calls me every 2 weeks if she’s not busy and always asks the same boring questions avoiding the important things.
    If she doesn’t give my medicine soon enough I’m going to register with another practice this is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah11 View Post
    Hi antsy

I have already wrote up a safety plan with my GP like 2 months ago and she was supposed to give me medicine then.
    It’s basically the safety suicide plan on the nhs and it’s very detailed and I went over it with her.
    I guess I have to ask her again and really convince her even though she knows my situation is serious.
    She’s getting my counselling sorted and therapy sessions but that to me is NOT enough.
    I hate that she’s dragging this on she calls me every 2 weeks if she’s not busy and always asks the same boring questions avoiding the important things.
    If she doesn’t give my medicine soon enough I’m going to register with another practice this is ridiculous.

Well, she has to ask you the same boring questions every week because that's how the insurance, your nhs, justifies care. She has to prove to them you're still having issues. She wants to make sure you have therapy first because having therapy alongside starting the meds helps lower the risk of suicide.

I’m sorry, just realised you know about plan I mentioned.

How are you doing, Delilah?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    How are you doing, Delilah?
    Hi iris
    Btw ur my favourite person on nmp

I’m doing well apart from negative thoughts of worrying about the future but im pushing through.

Also I turned 20 last month it’s kind of crazy to think I’ve been on here for 3 years time really does fly❤️

Happy birthday for last month, Delilah

Glad to hear you are pushing through. You'll get there.

Belated happy birthday, Delilah.

I'm so happy you're pushing through. Honestly, that's pretty much the way most people cope.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Happy birthday for last month, Delilah

Glad to hear you are pushing through. You'll get there.
    Thank you so much terry❤️
    How are you doing?
    I missed you

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information