Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering Mirtazapine - need advice

Re: Considering Mirtazapine - need advice

After 4th tab had massive tinittus spike that lasted all night and also sound distortion in right ear. Phoned docs. My doc not there but spoke to another doc at surgery said it might settle down and keep on taking it. Took 6th tab last night, massive spike again. The distortion worse. Worried this med is damaging my ear!!!. I was going to ENT dept in hospital today for my hearing aids. They checked my ear while there- no wax or anything. Phoned doc, no appointments but left msg. doc replied said stop the Mirtazaprne. No advice given on tapering or anything! Cant phone her. Even only taken it for 6 days worried if go cold turkey I will suffer horrible withdrawal? I don't want more ear damage. God, so scared and can't get hold of any docs and a&e would mean an all night wait...
    Last edited by StressedEric; 13-07-21 at 17:32.

Quote Originally Posted by StressedEric View Post
    After 4th tab had massive tinittus spike that lasted all night and also sound distortion in right ear. Phoned docs. My doc not there but spoke to another doc at surgery said it might settle down and keep on taking it. Took 6th tab last night, massive spike again. The distortion worse. Worried this med is damaging my ear!!!. I was going to ENT dept in hospital today for my hearing aids. They checked my ear while there- no wax or anything. Phoned doc, no appointments but left msg. doc replied said stop the Mirtazaprne. No advice given on tapering or anything! Cant phone her. Even only taken it for 6 days worried if go cold turkey I will suffer horrible withdrawal? I don't want more ear damage. God, so scared and can't get hold of any docs and a&e would mean an all night wait...
    Anybody got advice on coming off it after 6 days on 15mg?

Worried this med is damaging my ear!!!.
    The ringing/noise is being generated in your brain, not the ears so mirtazapine is not going to harm them. I suspect anxiety is a contributor, possibly more so than the med.

Even only taken it for 6 days worried if go cold turkey I will suffer horrible withdrawal?.
    You're unlikely to suffer withdrawal after only 6 days, at least physically. People take antihistamines for much longer without developing dependency. However, if you convince yourself you will suffer then an anxious mind is very capable of delivering your worst nightmare.

I going to taper 7.5mg (half 15mg tab) for a few days. First 7.5mg tonight. Will see how I go.

Had 7.5mg (half tab) last night. Today got very loud tinittus which has lasted all day. Maybe its worse if thinking of it but it SO hard not to as so loud. Surely I wouldn't have such withdrawal after only 6 days????
    Last edited by StressedEric; 14-07-21 at 19:14.

I have been taking 15mg of mirtazapine for over six months for anxiety. They are working ok for me. Not for tinittus as far as I know
    Some medications don't work unless they are taken for more than six days.

As for the tinittus, maybe there is another medication???

Had 7.5mg (half tab) last night. Today got very loud tinittus which has lasted all day. Maybe its worse if thinking of it but it SO hard not to as so loud. Surely I wouldn't have such withdrawal after only 6 days????
    I doubt it is withdrawal, both because of the short time you've been taking mirtazapine, but also it has a longish half-life, up to 40 hours, so there will will have been little change in plasma levels yet.

Tinnitus being may worse if you think about it suggests psychology is a factor. Just about any side-effect is possible when taking an AD, but it would be very unlikely to occur with all of them as they have wildly different modes of action. Mirtazapine has little in common chemically, or in the receptors it targets, with SSRIs, for example.

I took another 7.5mg half tab last night (2 tabs now of 7.5mg) i still worried that it is withdrawal the tinittus is still constant very loud it not going down it very loud white noise in both ears. I really really scared. Ive had no sleep it so overpowering. I read reports that tinittus is a withdrawal symptom of mirtazapene and that the tinittus it causes is permanent. I don't know what to do if I go completely off the tinittus could be worse I don't think i can cope if it does. I am so frightened. Anybody experience of mirtazapeme withdrawal? Should I go back to 15mg and come off more slowly? I am in the dark with this. Please please I am desperate.

You are not in withdrawal, Eric. You weren't on mirtazapine long enough and the tinnitus began while there would have been almost no decrease in plasma levels. What you have in rampant anxiety with has taken over. Please get in touch with your doctor asap as you need to get it under control.

I have spoken to doc this morning and she said no more tapering at7.5mg and take no more tablets i.e. come off it completely. This means it been 8 days total (15mgx6 and 2x7.5mg)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information