Thread: I still don't feel myself despite having been to hospital and had tests. What to do?

I still don't feel myself despite having been to hospital and had tests. What to do?

The other day I had a panic attack and went to hospital. I stayed overnight. I was sent for a heart blood test, two ECGs (one on arrival at A&E and also the next morning in hospital) and I also had a chest x-ray. I was discharged yesterday from hospital, but my anxiety hasn't subsided as much as I would have wanted. I still feel quite anxious and I don't know how to relax for good.

I went for a walk yesterday afternoon for a good hour or so, which helped. But as soon as I got home I relaxed for a bit then started feeling anxious again. I'm nowhere near as bad as I was the other day, but is it natural to still feel a bit icky days after anxiety reduces. I just feel a bit heady and like I have a head cold, as well as a bit tired and lethargic. It's annoying. Any advice on what to do?

Re: I still don't feel myself despite having been to hospital and had tests. What to

In my experience, panic attacks can leave you with a really bad hangover that lasts anything from a couple of days to a few weeks.

Not a lot to be done about it, just be kind to yourself, accept there's nothing physically wrong with you and look into getting some extra help with the anxiety. Unfortunately, this is just one of those things that happens.

Re: I still don't feel myself despite having been to hospital and had tests. What to

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    In my experience, panic attacks can leave you with a really bad hangover that lasts anything from a couple of days to a few weeks.

Not a lot to be done about it, just be kind to yourself, accept there's nothing physically wrong with you and look into getting some extra help with the anxiety. Unfortunately, this is just one of those things that happens.
    Yeah I guess that's true. It probably doesn't help that I've been fasting as trying to lose weight, so making me feel a bit rough. You are probably right. I just need to try and control my anxiety and relax somehow. I appreciate it, thank you.

That's okay

Talk to us on here as much as you like - anxiety sucks, we've all been there and most of us still go there from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    That's okay

Talk to us on here as much as you like - anxiety sucks, we've all been there and most of us still go there from time to time.
    I appreciate it thanks. It's been a rough time recently with the anxiety. I hate it, but not much I can do really apart from try to get over it. Do you think it's worth me going back on beta blockers? I didn't want to rely on medication, but at the moment I'm not sure how I'm going to get over the anxiety naturally any time soon. I will go out for more walks because that helps, but not sure what else to do.

Beta blockers only mask some of the physical symptoms of anxiety - I've taken propranolol over the years for headaches, aura migraines and anxiety and it's never really done much for any of them.

Meds are a very personal decision; I lived with my anxiety and depression for well over 20 years before deciding I couldn't take it any more. I'm on a low dose SSRI at the moment, it's worked brilliantly and improved my life dramatically for two years or so. Lately, it's not been working so well, but I've had a few extra stressors in my life. I'm going to give it a few weeks, then if my other strategies don't work I'll look at asking my GP for a temporary increase. Think about it this way, would it be a big deal if you needed meds for asthma or diabetes? Same thing.

Walking in nature is good; you might also want to consider meditation or therapy. It's a horrible disease, but there are lots of different routes to feeling like a human being again.

Thread Information