Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Worse before better on paroxetine?

Re: Worse before better on paroxetine?

I'm on 40mg.

Yes they do work. It took me a while to adjust to them. It's advised to not skip doses of this drug too because withdrawal is swift and sharp.

I don't think I have side effects from them anymore. I've been on them probably around 2 years now.

I'm on valium too. I was doing well without them, but life is rocky at the moment so I'm back to taking 3/4 a day.

I'm not sure if this drug causes night sweats, but I have them terrible. I read somewhere they can.

Other than that, I will say it's a good drug that works for me.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Hey PDU I definitely think there is a biological factor to my mental health as well as psychological.

I am also seeing a psychologist and we are working through things together.

Getting back to work full time is a big thing for me as I am still doing half hours and that affects my self esteem.

On a positive I went to work today for a few hours and no Valium or panadol was required so small victory.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I'm on 40mg.

Yes they do work. It took me a while to adjust to them. It's advised to not skip doses of this drug too because withdrawal is swift and sharp.

I don't think I have side effects from them anymore. I've been on them probably around 2 years now.

I'm on valium too. I was doing well without them, but life is rocky at the moment so I'm back to taking 3/4 a day.

I'm not sure if this drug causes night sweats, but I have them terrible. I read somewhere they can.

Other than that, I will say it's a good drug that works for me.
    Hello Wired and thanks for the input.

I never skip doses and have curbed my alcohol intake to give the meds a chance to work.

I have not had night sweats but years ago I was on Pristiq and that caused a lot of sweating for the first few months but I adjusted to it. Also, I came off Pristiq with very little trouble but have heard from others that the withdrawal is brutal so we are all different I guess.

Side effects I still have are early waking when I sleep, slight headache, a little bit of teeth grinding and lack of interest in sex. I think/hope these will subside in the coming weeks and months.

One thing I like about paroxetine is that it is not overly stimulating. Quite a few medications I tried sent me “manic” for lack of a better word.

I also like that from my current dose of 10mg I have room to move as some people take 20, 30, 40, 50, 60mg. So if it works for me I can potentially be on it for a long time with adjustments. My psychiatrist changed my appointment to early August and I wanted to talk to her about getting the extended release version of paroxetine but I guess that will have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I'm not sure if this drug causes night sweats, but I have them terrible. I read somewhere they can
    It probably is the paroxetine, James. It is a relative common side-effect of all serotonergic ADs with paroxetine and sertraline being the most likely SSRIs to do so. In addition to stuffing up our brains, serotonin also affects the sympathetic nervous system which regulates sweating, determines blood vessel tone and affects the hypothalamus which, among other things, is the thermostat which sets the body's core temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by jonjon View Post
    Side effects I still have are early waking when I sleep, slight headache, a little bit of teeth grinding and lack of interest in sex. I think/hope these will subside in the coming weeks and months.
    All bar the last one will likely diminish as the body adjusts, but there are ways of minimising the last one too.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    It probably is the paroxetine, James. It is a relative common side-effect of all serotonergic ADs with paroxetine and sertraline being the most likely SSRIs to do so. In addition to stuffing up our brains, serotonin also affects the sympathetic nervous system which regulates sweating, determines blood vessel tone and affects the hypothalamus which, among other things, is the thermostat which sets the body's core temperature.
    That explains why I have problems sweating. Literally just put up a post about it.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

a little bit of teeth grinding and lack of interest in sex.
    Yes, this. My sex drive doesn't return until I accidentally miss a dose.

☪️️

Hi Peeps,

To be honest the sexual side effects are the least of my problems right now. I tested “it” and it still works so I am not to worried about that.

Right now my main concern is the insomnia/sleep issues. Part of this is your run of the mill stress and over thinking but there is a chemical component to it as well.

I worry the medication is going to make me agitated as other meds have had this effect of lifting depression but INCREASING anxiety or at the very least not helping with the anxiety.

I will be using some Restavit (Doxylamine) tonight as I cannot function on 4 or 5 hours sleep.

medication to treat medication argh

I worry the medication is going to make me agitated as other meds have had this effect of lifting depression but INCREASING anxiety or at the very least not helping with the anxiety.
    Don't go talking yourself into a side-effect, John. Anxious minds are very capable of creating our worst fears if given half a chance.

You were never on an AD long enough, or on a high enough dose to get a positive result. All ADs may increase anxiety levels initially. It if occurs there are ways of minimising the anxiety until paroxetine kicks-in.

I will be using some Restavit (Doxylamine) tonight as I cannot function on 4 or 5 hours sleep.
    Not one I've come across, but the sedating antihistamines are usually effective for SSRI induced insomnia. It usually doesn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Don't go talking yourself into a side-effect, John. Anxious minds are very capable of creating our worst fears if given half a chance.

You were never on an AD long enough, or on a high enough dose to get a positive result. All ADs may increase anxiety levels initially. It if occurs there are ways of minimising the anxiety until paroxetine kicks-in.

Not one I've come across, but the sedating antihistamines are usually effective for SSRI induced insomnia. It usually doesn't last long.
    Thanks Ian

Lol I am realising that I do tend to overthink things. Four long years of panic in situations like driving in traffic or social settings where I cannot move freely have become habitual. I cannot expect to be rid of these feelings overnight. They will require re-learning.

I took the antihistamine last night and slept well thank God. I might try and go without it tonight and see how I sleep.

There were some positive feelings this morning but still burning through a lot of anxious energy.

I will still stick with the 10mg of paroxetine at this stage for at least another week or two as it seems to be moving in the right direction. I have been on it one month exactly now and let me say it was not an easy month.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information