Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Worse before better on paroxetine?

Re: Worse before better on paroxetine?

Quote Originally Posted by jonjon View Post
    I took the antihistamine last night and slept well thank God. I might try and go without it tonight and see how I sleep.
    Cool. Tolerance to antihistamine sedation tends to build slowly, much slower than for benzodiazepines, but it does happen so missing a day, or three occasionally is a good idea.

I will still stick with the 10mg of paroxetine at this stage for at least another week or two as it seems to be moving in the right direction. I have been on it one month exactly now and let me say it was not an easy month.
    Okay, but I'd be wary about staying on 10mg for an extended period.

Ian

Thanks for the info Ian.

Yesterday I had the best day I have had for while. I was productive and fairly positive.

Therefor last night I decided not to take the antihistamine and had a bad nights sleep.

Today I feel absolutely lousy. Headaches, anxiety, low mood etc. I will be taking the sleeping aid again tonight and see how I feel tomorrow. To be honest if I could sleep properly I think that would go a long way towards getting me over the line.

Can I take the antihistamines medium term? I mean like for a month or so.

I have read that paroxetine stuffs up your sleep and that definitely seems to be the case with me. Very frustrating.

Regards John

Can I take the antihistamines medium term? I mean like for a month or so.
    It shouldn't be a problem, John, but I suggest you halve the dose for a week or so when you come off it if you've been taking it most nights.

I have read that paroxetine stuffs up your sleep and that definitely seems to be the case with me. Very frustrating.
    All SSRIs and SNRIs may trigger insomnia. So much so that the AD trazodone is either the most, or second most prescribed AD despite being rarely prescribed for anxiety, or depression. It's main use these days is alleviating SSRI/SNRI induced insomnia.

Ok so I slept well last night with the Restavit and feel slightly more positive depression wise.

The headaches are still present but I had headaches before starting paroxetine so I cannot blame the medication 100% for that. Also anxiety causes headaches for me.

The anxiety does not seem to be abating at all unfortunately. I wish my Dr had given me 10mg pills as I think when I split the 20mg pills I am getting a bigger piece and a smaller piece and might be yo-yoing?

The anxiety does not seem to be abating at all unfortunately.
    Way too early and probably too low a dose to be doing much.

I wish my Dr had given me 10mg pills as I think when I split the 20mg pills I am getting a bigger piece and a smaller piece and might be yo-yoing?
    Pill-cutters are more accurate, but I doubt the small dose variation is having much impact.

Quick up date.

Have been using the Restavit for sleep and still on 10mg paroxetine and have had a better couple of days.

Not cured by any stretch of the imagination but seem to heading in the right direction.

Went to work with very little stress and even driving did not arouse my panic.
    I am not ready for bridges and tunnels yet but praying things will continue to improve.

So after two good days have crashed again!

Had a crap sleep last night and barely scraped through half a day at work. Unfortunately the antihistamine did not do much last night.

When I have that broken sleep the anxiety, depression and headaches all return with a vengeance.

How long does this paroxetine induced insomnia last? I am at 4 1/2 weeks now.

Thank you in advance John

.How long does this paroxetine induced insomnia last?
    That is a 'how long is a piece of string' question that can only be answered with, "it depends", John.

Plus, it may not all be down to the med. Anxiety is probably also contributing and could even be the main factor.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    That is a 'how long is a piece of string' question that can only be answered with, "it depends", John.

Plus, it may not all be down to the med. Anxiety is probably also contributing and could even be the main factor.
    I rarely had more than a couple bad sleeps per week before starting this medication. Now it is pretty much constant. The chemist said melatonin might help but I need a prescription from my GP and I am seeing her on Monday afternoon. Should I ask for trazadone? Will it compliment the paroxetine?

I want to up this medication to 20mg but I am worried it will make the sleep issues worse.

The real kick in the guts is that all Sunday and most of Monday (at work) I felt almost normal again but it pooped out just as quick as it started.

I rarely had more than a couple bad sleeps per week before starting this medication. Now it is pretty much constant. The chemist said melatonin might help but I need a prescription from my GP and I am seeing her on Monday afternoon. Should I ask for trazadone? Will it compliment the paroxetine?
    Why not ask for both? Melatonin is a metabolite of serotonin so might not be as effective at the moment with the heightened serotonin activity. But is may be more effective later as serotonin synthesis and expression is down-regulated.

Trazodone is, depending on which market report is consulted, either the most, or second most prescribed AD, despite not being prescribed for anxiety, or depression much. It owes its popularity to SSRI/SNRI induced insomnia.

I want to up this medication to 20mg but I am worried it will make the sleep issues worse.
    It is just as likely to if you delay the increase for months.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information