Thread: GP says cannot get me 10mg of Prozac as too expensive but nervous to take 20mg

GP says cannot get me 10mg of Prozac as too expensive but nervous to take 20mg

Hello I posted here recently about being nervous to start Prozac after having bad experiences when I tried Sertraline and Citralopram. On both those meds I had severe panic attacks and weird feelings about 3 or 4 days in.

But due to major health anxiety I am at breaking point and need something.

I was prescribed 20mg but after advice on here I was advised to try and get 10mg.

So I spoke to GP today and they said the 10mg costs £63 per prescription as opposed to £2 something for 20mg.

I then asked for tablets so I could snap them and to be fair he looked but said they only do 20mg in capsules.

I guess I will have to attempt the 20mg

Re: GP says cannot get me 10mg of Prozac as too expensive but nervous to take 20mg

Hi Emma, you could try taking 20mg every other day, see how you get on for a couple of weeks. Check with your GP first but they should be ok with it.

Either that, or you can get an oral solution, maybe ask for that 🙂
    Last edited by Jo79; 23-06-21 at 17:27.

Re: GP says cannot get me 10mg of Prozac as too expensive but nervous to take 20mg

I was prescribed liquid Prozac when I was tapering off of it. There may be some reason why you can’t start with liquid but it might be worth asking.

Brilliant thanks for the suggestions I have done an econsult form asking for either liquid or every other day

When I got citalopram I was also prescribed some benzodiazepines for the first 4 weeks. It takes approx. 4 weeks before citalopram kicks in, and in the beginning it makes panick attacks worse.
    Stopping the medication after 4 days won't give it a chance to work.

Quote Originally Posted by emmabombemma View Post
    I guess I will have to attempt the 20mg
    Before there were 10mg pills the drug company advised patients to dissolve the contents of the 20mg capsules in a measured amount of water or fruit juice (but not of grapefruit) and drinking half the mixture one day, the other half the next. It works well and is better than taking 20mg every other day.

Thread Information