Thread: It's a Wonderful Life - the film

It's a Wonderful Life - the film

Have you ever seen this film often shown at Christmas? If not, you should! It has a great message that all of us should remember. It’s the only film I’ve known that made both my parents cry….me too! It’s just so moving.

Today 2 years ago was my fathers funeral so I guess this is why this film came to mind. If I were to compare him to anyone, I would compare him to the main character in this film, George Bailey (James Stewart). George runs a building and loan company without personal profit so that townsfolk can own their own homes even though he himself and his family lived in a house that was in need of repair. He would do anything for anyone in need and so he made a lot of friends

One day his uncle loses the firms money and a warrant is made out for George. He becomes suicidal and standing alone on a bridge in the snow, he contemplates jumping off but an angel hears his cry for help and saves him. The angel takes him back to see what would have happened to all those he’d helped, to show him how important his life has been to others. Of course he then realises what would have become of his family and friends and so realises his life is worth living. When he gets back to town, all the people he’d helped have banded together to donate money and of course there’s a happy ending.

The point to this post? I can relate to this film because I was once on a metaphorical bridge wanting to jump but I realised there are actually real life angels who are always there for us; (our friends!) Each life affects many others so if you think you’re not important then remember there is always someone in the present or future who does or will care who needs you so you’ll always be Very important to Them because anxiety sufferers will always need people such as yourselves to understand and support them! Nicola is a perfect example because without her, this site wouldn’t exist!

Re: It's a Wonderful Life - the film

Bill , I purchased the special edition of this film for my husband last xmas,

and we both had tears in our eyes .

It really is the BEST FILM ever , top of my list , and a must for anyone who is feeling depressed. Gosh I may watch this tommorow .

Bill ive never watched this film, although several people have told me about it. Will defo be looking out for it cos I can relate to it too.

You are so right, an angel will appear just when we need them the most .
    One song that I find helps me on bad days is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYfMe67-xQ4

I hope you enjoy it

Darkangel x

Hi Bill
    A Wonderful Life is a wonderful film. My mums fave. Bought it for her on DVD. It has lots of fab messages and best of all a perfect film for this time of year.

Thank you Darkangel,

I enjoyed it! She looked like an angel too!

You can also find excerpts of It's a wonderful life on youtube but to really appreciate it you need to see the film.......with tissues handy!

I know I'm soppy but a film for the pure romantics is "Somewhere in time" also on youtube. It's what life should be all about and shows the true reason for living just as It's a wonderful life does but in a different way.

Life without love is not living- it's just surviving.......but then that's the romantic in me.

While we're on the angel theme, as a friend or an angel......I wrote this in my darkest days when I felt very alone.......

My Angel – by Bill

Seen in the gathering gloom,
    Her wings alight in a brilliant white,
    Oh, what a sight to behold,
    This beautiful angel; this wondrous sight,

Never knowing when she is near,
    Seen only through a forgotten tear,
    Day or night you will see her clear,
    For when in need, she will always appear,

With her comforting wings, surrounding and secure,
    She takes you in with her soft warm lure,
    With a smile of kindness and with the light in her eyes,