Thread: Breathed in moss killer! PANICKING

Breathed in moss killer! PANICKING

Hi all

Really in a panic right now. Was just spraying a moss killer (ferrous sulfate monohydrate) on outdoor patio with spray can (I made the formula on guess work, so could have been stronger than it shouldve been)... then I realised I could kinda taste it in the vapor coming from the spray...
    I then read in the very small print to wear a face covering :(

I literally stopped as soon as I realised. What are the chances I'm gonna have a serious reaction to this or poisoned myself? Literally shaking with fright.

Thanks in advance :(

Re: Breathed in moss killer! PANICKING

Quote Originally Posted by alcopop View Post
    Hi all

Really in a panic right now. Was just spraying a moss killer (ferrous sulfate monohydrate) on outdoor patio with spray can (I made the formula on guess work, so could have been stronger than it shouldve been)... then I realised I could kinda taste it in the vapor coming from the spray...
    I then read in the very small print to wear a face covering :(

I literally stopped as soon as I realised. What are the chances I'm gonna have a serious reaction to this or poisoned myself? Literally shaking with fright.

Thanks in advance :(

I just looked up the safety data, you will be fine. The only danger is from repeated and prolonged exposure and by that they mean getting spray on you all day, every day for months or years not just a one off very mild exposure.

You have nothing to worry about.

Kay, so I pulled up the hazards of ferrous sulfate monohydrate on the handy dandy PubChem. From the looks of it, it can cause skin, eye, and respiratory irritation if inhaled. The best thing to do in this case is to get fresh air. If you are feeling really unwell in a manner that is due to the substance itself and not anxiety, I would get in contact with your physician.

The worst I think that you will face is some skin and eye irritation. If your eyes are really irritated, wash them with water.

Ferrous sulfate monohydrate is generally only lethal if ingested and this is due to the amount of iron it contains. However, the amount of iron would need to be much more than just the bit that may have gotten in contact with your tongue when you inhaled. To put this in perspective, I sometimes take Ferrous Sulfate pills when I am iron deficient, and to get to a lethal dose, you need to ingest approximately 120 mg elemental iron per kg body weight. Since I weigh about 72 kg, this means I would need to ingest 8640 mg or iron, and since there is 65 mg of iron in each pill, I would need to take approximately 132 pills in order to die.

For reference, here is a picture of the Ferrous Sulfate pills that I take on occasion: Iron pills.jpg

Thank you so much for the replies, they helped calm me down a lot.

Thread Information