Thread: Horrible nighttime anxiety

Horrible nighttime anxiety

hi all

have been coming off my amitryptline for 3 weeks, 1 week ago i started to take the herbal supplement Flaxseed to reduce my risen cholesterol, and for the past week i have been waking up after 1-2 hours sleep in a deep panic, sweating , heart pounding/racing etc and unable to get back over to sleep for an hour or so.

I am aware that the withdrawl affects of amitryptline can cause this but ive also just seen that flaxseed may heighten my anxiety, yes i am slightly more anxious during the daytime but no where near like during the night, im also glad i know it is anxiety in my own mind, not my heart which i many years ago would have thought

Does anyone else experience horrendous mid night panic (my diazapem doesnt help during the night!)

Any advice/own experiences would greatly be appreciated

Re: Horrible nighttime anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by JulieJay92 View Post

Does anyone else experience horrendous mid night panic (my diazapem doesnt help during the night!)
    As it happens, I did last night, and it was the first night in ages!

I had been thinking in the day that I felt 'off' and I probably wouldn't sleep well. Well, my brain was listening and I slept horrendously. I had a night of what I used to have every night - which is to wake up after a short while with my heart pounding, nausea, sweating, dry mouth etc (nocturnal panic attacks) and that carries on throughout the night in sleep/wake cycles..

I advocate getting up and moving about, and that's what I used to do, but I couldn't be arsed to move last night, so I kept doing my abdominal breathing which got me back to sleep, but then I'd wake up again because of the amount of stress hormones in my body. The deep breathing turns the fight or flight off but it doesn't change what's already in your system, right? Those have to be burned off. Also, my dreams are very vivid and like all action movies - so more stress hormones!

In my case, it's anxiety. In your case, it will be a combo of anxiety and meds withdrawal. I've had to research the Flaxseed but it seems you're correct, but it especially affects women who are 60 plus. I'm 50 plus, and it's interesting because I have an opened bag of the stuff in my fridge which I haven't touched since because my heartrate went fruitang after taking it and it was the only thing I'd done differently, so this is very interesting!

So, next time it happens - get up, move about. Discharge the adrenalin, cortisol etc and when you start to feel your body relax (and you will) then you can try to go back to sleep again. But the number one tip is not to worry about it happening. It's very unpleasant, but it's not harmful.

So yes, I've had years of nocturnal panic attacks, but by doing what I did to help myself, I got them under control, and so can you.

So I go back to see why it's happening and I know my anxiety is higher at the moment. I've been watching too many Midsomer Murders and not doing enough work on my mental health. Plus, cake.

im on the flaxseed vegan capsules from holland and barret and take twice daily as recommended but ive been told you can take both in morning if desired so have done that this morning (more anxious since taking) but hopefully may help my sleep as i really need to take it to help cholesterol and to avoid going on statins

ps im 45+

just spoke to dietician and she has suggested plant sterols

still happens most nights but have taken Nora B's advice and getting up for an hr helps me sleep again for another 3-4 hours

thanks for your help

Thread Information