Thread: Was this a panick attack?

Was this a panick attack?

Hey guys and gals, I don't know how to start but please bear with me. I'm going to describe the whole picture so you can get a clue of what I'm talking about.

On Friday night I had a friend come over from abroad. We had some drinks at my place, (about two beers of 330 ml each and some shots of strong alcohol). After eating we went to a local pub so we can meet other friends. There I took one more shot of a sweet strong alcohol and two more beers. The stupid inside me decided it would be a good thing to smoke 2 cigarettes and got a bit dizzy(even tho I am not a regular smoker, but sometimes when I go out with friends, I smoke a bit...let's say I'm a social smoker, but not always).

Fast forward to Saturday, woke up after 5-6 hours of sleep, drank a light coffee then we went to town to have the breakfast. I had a hamburger and a bottle of water. After breakfast we went on a walk to show him the surroundings, it was the middle of the day and the sun was pretty strong, I don't like sun that much so we decided to find a place to have a lemonade. While walking (about 15-20 minutes) I started to feel a bit like dizzy, and felt like having a weight on my chest, but I tried to brush it off. After several minutes I started to feel my heart pounding, and became a bit panicked, I was feeling like I'm going to faint and I was feeling pins and needles into my forearms. I saw a police patrol so I went to them, told them that I don't feel that good, they called an ambulance that came pretty fast (several minutes).

While in ambulance they asked me about drinking / using other substances etc. as per normal procedure, and they took my blood pressure: 156 / 100 and 110 bpm heart rate, oxygen level at 99%. They didn't seemed to be worried, they told me that they think it was a panic attack and the fact that I drank the previous night + the sun exposure (but it was only for 15-20 minutes, even though there were about 30 degrees Celsius outside) wasn't a happy combination. They did an EKG test while in ambulance and they told me that everything looks normal. While in ambulance the blood pressure started to go down and I started to feel better. This thing lasted about 20-25 minutes.

Background: A few months ago I had a heart ecography (I had a different scare back then) and the doctor told me that everything looks normal. Now I got that feeling like I'm waiting for something bad to happen and I'm not gonna lie to you, I am scared.

I never had a panick attack before, I don't know if a panick attack can make your blood pressure to go up that much. My normal blood pressure is around 120 / 80 and a 75-85 bpm pulse. Caucasian, male, 190 cm tall and 97 kg heavy.

Did you experienced something like this? Bless you all!

Re: Was this a panick attack?

To be honest it sounds like ambulance crew had it spot on. Panic attacks can increase your heart rate and blood pressure. The combination of alcohol, heat and coffee probably did bring in a panic attack.

Have a read of the advice on here about coping with panic attacks, there's some really good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    To be honest it sounds like ambulance crew had it spot on. Panic attacks can increase your heart rate and blood pressure. The combination of alcohol, heat and coffee probably did bring in a panic attack.

Have a read of the advice on here about coping with panic attacks, there's some really good advice.
    Thanks @Catkins! Anyway, in a weird way, I am happy that this happened. I'm going to try to take more care of my body, at least when it comes to drinking and eating habits. Have a good day!!

Sounds classic.

Take it easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by anxietyg View Post
    Hey guys and gals, I don't know how to start but please bear with me. I'm going to describe the whole picture so you can get a clue of what I'm talking about.

On Friday night I had a friend come over from abroad. We had some drinks at my place, (about two beers of 330 ml each and some shots of strong alcohol). After eating we went to a local pub so we can meet other friends. There I took one more shot of a sweet strong alcohol and two more beers. The stupid inside me decided it would be a good thing to smoke 2 cigarettes and got a bit dizzy(even tho I am not a regular smoker, but sometimes when I go out with friends, I smoke a bit...let's say I'm a social smoker, but not always).

Fast forward to Saturday, woke up after 5-6 hours of sleep, drank a light coffee then we went to town to have the breakfast. I had a hamburger and a bottle of water. After breakfast we went on a walk to show him the surroundings, it was the middle of the day and the sun was pretty strong, I don't like sun that much so we decided to find a place to have a lemonade. While walking (about 15-20 minutes) I started to feel a bit like dizzy, and felt like having a weight on my chest, but I tried to brush it off. After several minutes I started to feel my heart pounding, and became a bit panicked, I was feeling like I'm going to faint and I was feeling pins and needles into my forearms. I saw a police patrol so I went to them, told them that I don't feel that good, they called an ambulance that came pretty fast (several minutes).

While in ambulance they asked me about drinking / using other substances etc. as per normal procedure, and they took my blood pressure: 156 / 100 and 110 bpm heart rate, oxygen level at 99%. They didn't seemed to be worried, they told me that they think it was a panic attack and the fact that I drank the previous night + the sun exposure (but it was only for 15-20 minutes, even though there were about 30 degrees Celsius outside) wasn't a happy combination. They did an EKG test while in ambulance and they told me that everything looks normal. While in ambulance the blood pressure started to go down and I started to feel better. This thing lasted about 20-25 minutes.

Background: A few months ago I had a heart ecography (I had a different scare back then) and the doctor told me that everything looks normal. Now I got that feeling like I'm waiting for something bad to happen and I'm not gonna lie to you, I am scared.

I never had a panick attack before, I don't know if a panick attack can make your blood pressure to go up that much. My normal blood pressure is around 120 / 80 and a 75-85 bpm pulse. Caucasian, male, 190 cm tall and 97 kg heavy.
    The alcohol caused dehydration which you then went out and ate a salty burger and yet another stimulant with the lemonade. Dehydration and the sun are not a good combo. The dehydration triggered a panic attack and it's one of the most COMMON triggers..

Nowt up with ya heart cocker.

Thread Information