Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: 19th July Reopening

Re: 19th July Reopening

I'm sure that the Olympics will be a controversial issue in the coming weeks.

Considering the vast majority of Tokyo residents don't want them! The Olympics is a touring circus with an enormous environmental impact that has outlived its use, rather like the World Cup and Formula 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    If it has worked. I give you Andrew Marr. You yourself have admitted as much.
    Andrew Marr is fine. He had a rough few days but he certainly wasn’t on a hospital ward with a machine helping him breathe. You want an if? What if he wasn’t fully vaccinated? If you’re going to bring “what ifs” into it why not try to do it in a way that doesn’t keep you down?

With due respect mate, you've not had the last fifteen years that I have.
    I never said I had, but from one human being to another I just think you’re far too ready to look toward the negative.

I don't trust any politician to have my interests at heart - and especially not a former merchant banker who subscribes to the ideology of Ayn Rand. To those people, we're just "useless eaters".
    Well then don’t listen to politicians speaking on this matter. Listen to the science, the doctors and the people who do have your interests at heart. The science is telling us that despite surging new cases, the vaccines are providing very high levels of protection from severe illness.

Just look at the data compared to earlier waves. Surges like this would have seen us in full lockdown, yet we’re still going toward opening up. That’s because the rising infections are simply not syphoning into severe illness. Around 80% of new cases are in those aged under 40, which tells you that the vast majority of new infections are in those not yet fully vaccinated.

I can’t tell you that being fully vaccinated is going to make you immortal to this virus. What I can tell you is that if you do somehow manage to pick up Covid, your odds of surviving it have increased by around 90%. Personally, I can only hope that you’ll start to gain a bit more confidence due to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Andrew Marr is fine. He had a rough few days but he certainly wasn’t on a hospital ward with a machine helping him breathe. You want an if? What if he wasn’t fully vaccinated? If you’re going to bring “what ifs” into it why not try to do it in a way that doesn’t keep you down?

I never said I had, but from one human being to another I just think you’re far too ready to look toward the negative.

Well then don’t listen to politicians speaking on this matter. Listen to the science, the doctors and the people who do have your interests at heart. The science is telling us that despite surging new cases, the vaccines are providing very high levels of protection from severe illness.

Just look at the data compared to earlier waves. Surges like this would have seen us in full lockdown, yet we’re still going toward opening up. That’s because the rising infections are simply not syphoning into severe illness. Around 80% of new cases are in those aged under 40, which tells you that the vast majority of new infections are in those not yet fully vaccinated.

I can’t tell you that being fully vaccinated is going to make you immortal to this virus. What I can tell you is that if you do somehow manage to pick up Covid, your odds of surviving it have increased by around 90%. Personally, I can only hope that you’ll start to gain a bit more confidence due to that.
    Wow Gary, you've beat me to exactly what I was going to tell PM!

I reckon Andrew Marr and the tiny minority of other double jabbed persons who have unfortunately still managed to slip through the net and caught Covid, were simply unlucky, though as you suggest, AM is finally on the mend now and wasn't hospitalised.

There is currently an article on the BBC website stating that whilst overall Covid infection rates in the UK have continued upwards over the past week, the vaccines are still saving lives.

There were also side-by-side graphs within said article showing the increases in cases throughout June vs the increases in cases throughout last October, both of which are broadly similar, plus the rates of Covid-related hospitalisations throughout June vs those throughout last October, and the Covid hospitalisation rates in June this year are well below those in October last year, with similar case numbers.

Also cases in the UK are down slightly today, albeit still just over 27k.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 02-07-21 at 16:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

I reckon Andrew Marr and the tiny minority of other double jabbed persons who have unfortunately still managed to slip through the net and caught Covid, were simply unlucky, though as you suggest, AM is finally on the mend now and wasn't hospitalised.

There is currently an article on the BBC website stating that whilst overall Covid infection rates in the UK have continued upwards over the past week, the vaccines are still saving lives.

There were also side-by-side graphs within said article showing the increases in cases throughout June vs the increases in cases throughout last October, both of which are broadly similar, plus the rates of Covid-related hospitalisations throughout June vs those throughout last October, and the Covid hospitalisation rates in June this year are well below those in October last year, with similar case numbers.

My only worry is that the government is going to dangle 'freedom' over us but with caveats - this seems to be the way it is all going. There is some suggestion that we are going to be stuck in this lockdown cycle for the next five winters. By the time we are let out again the winter virus season will be approaching .....

Abut time that they believed in their own words ' vaccine is the path to freedom' and we are just going to have to learn to live with the virus (and any other) which is now endemic. Gary is correct in some of his comments. Personally I just think enough is enough and time for all of this to cease to be the focus of everyday life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Just look at the data compared to earlier waves. Surges like this would have seen us in full lockdown, yet we’re still going toward opening up. That’s because the rising infections are simply not syphoning into severe illness.
    No, it's because the Tory scum in Government are more concerned about making money and protecting their future electoral hopes which they know will be dashed if there's another lockdown.

As ever, hospitalisations/deaths lag about four weeks behind cases; assuming schoolkids aren't cooking the books massively by pouring lemon juice or whatever TikTok tells them to use onto their free LFT kits to get time off school.

Let's see how many die per day in August, or are we now saying 700 - 1000 a week dead will be acceptable in return for going to the pub without a mask?
    Last edited by Pamplemousse; 02-07-21 at 18:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

My worry is that over the last few days I have seen quite a few people that are double jabbed testing positive - a friend of mine had both AZ jabs in May and is currently unwell - is coping fine enough at home but says she feels really awful.

This worries me as my husband is immune suppressed and although he's had covid, anxiety brain goes to worst case scenario

I know normality does have to resume though and it is needed for most people - just wish I could be more fearless about it all instead of worrying about every possible scenario - anxiety really is bloody annoying! ��
    Last edited by Squishchips; 02-07-21 at 19:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    No, it's because the Tory scum in Government are more concerned about making money and protecting their future electoral hopes which they know will be dashed if there's another lockdown.

As ever, hospitalisations/deaths lag about four weeks behind cases; assuming schoolkids aren't cooking the books massively by pouring lemon juice or whatever TikTok tells them to use onto their free LFT kits to get time off school.

Let's see how many die per day in August, or are we now saying 700 - 1000 a week dead will be acceptable in return for going to the pub without a mask?
    Who said it would be, PM? You’ve just plucked a number out of thin air there haven’t you? You’ve allowed your anxiety to combine with your political bias here, in my view anyway.

It wouldn’t matter who was in number 10 right now, the fact of the matter is that at some point we need to put the train back on the track. We can’t run and hide forever. However, if you feel that you’re still at a major risk, that your vaccine is a waste of time and that locking us all up until you personally feel safe is an option, I’d suggest you take whichever precautions you find necessary.

Some of believe in science and vaccination. I’m one of them. If cases start to show a huge surge in severe illness and ultimately deaths, then I’d be the first to say we need to put the brakes on. As it is that’s just not happening.

I'm not sure why we still need daily case numbers published if we need to get on with our lives though?

I can say with certainty that the 19th of July will not be reopening. Javid is a complete dip****. First day in post and he promises we'll be out of lockdown on the 19th.

Hello? Is anybody in there? Knock. Knock. Anything between the eyes?

Politicians are funny, they think that telling the virus "we will reopen" means the virus will pack it's bags and head home.

Could be worse, this could be a war, and politicians saying "we will reopen" is them stamping their feet at the opposition

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread Information