Page 4 of 103 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: 19th July Reopening

Re: 19th July Reopening

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I'm not sure why we still need daily case numbers published if we need to get on with our lives though?
    I did wonder this as well though I do like the numbers being published (when they're low anyway lol). Local numbers I find more helpful but the Zoe app does give a good idea of that as well

I just don't see the point if actual numbers are irrelevant and the vaccines are doing their job effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Who said it would be, PM? You’ve just plucked a number out of thin air there haven’t you? You’ve allowed your anxiety to combine with your political bias here, in my view anyway.

It wouldn’t matter who was in number 10 right now, the fact of the matter is that at some point we need to put the train back on the track. We can’t run and hide forever. However, if you feel that you’re still at a major risk, that your vaccine is a waste of time and that locking us all up until you personally feel safe is an option, I’d suggest you take whichever precautions you find necessary.

Some of believe in science and vaccination. I’m one of them. If cases start to show a huge surge in severe illness and ultimately deaths, then I’d be the first to say we need to put the brakes on. As it is that’s just not happening.
    Dare I say it, I think Labour probably would have got it in the neck even more had they been in power during this pandemic, even if they did actually handle the situation far better.

They did (wrongly IMO) get the blame for the Global Financial Crisis back in the late 2000s after all, plus many people seem to revel in the endless conspiracy theories about Labour these days.

Let's face it, yesterday's by-election in Batley was hardly plain sailing for them, despite their (narrow) victory there, particularly with that gobsh1te George Galloway trying to do a Dollard by blatantly trying to deny his defeat!

Look at the charts on the BBC covid page. The comparisons to a previous wave prove hospitalisations are low. The same levels of infection can be seen but hospitalisations no longer follow the upward trend. It's up but it's a very flat trend.

Since Delta has been with us for enough time to impact hospitals it's obvious it's not happening.

Yes, some double triple or 52x jabbed will die. Vaccination isn't 100%. And we don't know if these people are outside of expected tolerances for illness remembering many still die from flu despite jabs. Because some people can die from a cold.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Look at the charts on the BBC covid page. The comparisons to a previous wave prove hospitalisations are low. The same levels of infection can be seen but hospitalisations no longer follow the upward trend. It's up but it's a very flat trend.

Since Delta has been with us for enough time to impact hospitals it's obvious it's not happening.

Yes, some double triple or 52x jabbed will die. Vaccination isn't 100%. And we don't know if these people are outside of expected tolerances for illness remembering many still die from flu despite jabs. Because some people can die from a cold.
    Absolutely Terry.

I also mentioned earlier today about the graphs on the BBC page.

And despite certain people whose names I shall not mention still not being convinced, you're correct in the sense that Delta has been with us for over 2 months now and in the last 3 weeks alone deaths and hospitalisations have hardly skyrocketed in line with cases following the typical 2-3-week lag.

And most certainly unlike last autumn so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Who said it would be, PM? You’ve just plucked a number out of thin air there haven’t you? You’ve allowed your anxiety to combine with your political bias here, in my view anyway.
    1st June: 6000 cases. Month later - 27 deaths.

2nd July: 27000 cases. Fourfold increase.

Shall we see if we hit a fourfold increase in deaths on the 1st August? And will you apologise for your remarks if I'm proven right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    1st June: 6000 cases. Month later - 27 deaths.

2nd July: 27000 cases. Fourfold increase.

Shall we see if we hit a fourfold increase in deaths on the 1st August? And will you apologise for your remarks if I'm proven right?
    Apologise for what? You asked me if I thought that 700-1000 deaths per day were acceptable so people could “go for a pint without a mask”, and I said you’d plucked the number from thin air, which you had. I hadn’t said ANY number was acceptable, so what exactly would I apologise for.

Only one of us is trying to predict the future here, all I’m doing is going off of current evidence. I’m well aware it could change. Anyway, sorry for trying to stop you from being miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Absolutely Terry.

I also mentioned earlier today about the graphs on the BBC page.

And despite certain people whose names I shall not mention still not being convinced, you're correct in the sense that Delta has been with us for over 2 months now and in the last 3 weeks alone deaths and hospitalisations have hardly skyrocketed in line with cases following the typical 2-3-week lag.

And most certainly unlike last autumn so far.
    That's true. And on that same BBC page scrolling to the bottom reveals it's the north west that is the main problem. Ever since it started their hospitals saw the increase whilst Scotland showed a slight increase and the rest of us were stable. More regions are now showing a shallow upward trend.

In previous waves hospitals were at breaking point. That's not happening now. 27k deaths prevented so far by vaccines. No doubt some north west hospitals may need some support because it's hit them slightly harder due to local factors such as poor vaccine uptake.

I was talking to my dad about masks and social distancing. We are both agreed we shall carry on until we feel the time us right to relax this. For me that would be post Delta and double jabbed. If we go back to pre Delta things were looking really good with so few cases per week despite most things being open.

I'm not sure what my dad thinks about that but he will be playing it cautious due to mum being vulnerable.

Sadly I expect it will be a free for all. I've always thought a lot of people only wear masks because they are told too because their behaviour towards social distancing is indicative of how much they care.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    That's true. And on that same BBC page scrolling to the bottom reveals it's the north west that is the main problem. Ever since it started their hospitals saw the increase whilst Scotland showed a slight increase and the rest of us were stable. More regions are now showing a shallow upward trend.

In previous waves hospitals were at breaking point. That's not happening now. 27k deaths prevented so far by vaccines. No doubt some north west hospitals may need some support because it's hit them slightly harder due to local factors such as poor vaccine uptake.
    Pre-vaccines, this Delta variant-fuelled third wave would have meant an automatic full-on national lockdown.

Surely hospitalisations and deaths also would have been sky high by now.

But fortunately, thanks to the vaccines, so far so good.

Page 4 of 103 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread Information