Page 77 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: 19th July Reopening

Re: 19th July Reopening

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    That's ok, phil. The context of your original post was quite clearly regarding the 'papers please' element of WW2 as we so often see portrayed in films.

I think it's over the top but not obscene. You made no reference to the atrocities of that period.

Not too long ago certain left leaning media were making pre WW2 comparisons to the Brexit atmosphere. The outrage over that came from right leaning folks, and probably others who thought they were being as ridiculous as this debate. Right leaning media are always taking digs at the EU EC in the same vein and the roles become reversed as left leaning people become outraged (and probably many EU citizens too).

I think you have to be careful with WW2 comparisons but it's not off limits. Admin can choose on here, of course. However not in front of Jewish people, unless they are ok with the debate. Some Germans may be sensitive too and others who suffered during that period. Many Brits won't care, we've been using 'little Hitler' and 'it's like Nazi Germany' ever since. But we live in sensitized times so...

Listen to what spectrum said. European people can be very different. Plenty are less averse to ID challenges so there is less paranoia over government control. Some may see that as the slowly boiling frog but it's for those who live there to decide.
    Well articulated, Terry.

You can never know who might be reading these boards. I'm half Jewish, and my parents are old enough that my Dad was an evacuee. I also live in a city that was so badly devastated by the blitz that you can still see the ashes when they dig up the city centre for roadworks.

WW2 is a very sensitive topic for me because I can't imagine having had to live through those times, either in Germany or the UK.

I can't either, Blue and I think that's why I'm angered by people whinging about covid restrictions. I can't imagine the terror of air raids and wondering if you were going to die at any time. Yet people coped and carried on as best they could in terrible circumstances..without therapists or CBT but with stoicism and grim determination to survive.

Honestly, Pulisa, part of me thinks it's because there was a very visible threat to worry about. Anybody with half a brain knows that covid is a real threat, but we're not in amongst the noise and the smells on the intensive care units, which I think probably makes it easier to ignore.

Yes I agree....You could hardly escape the realities of war whereas with covid you can choose to ignore or downplay as much as suits you.

If you've not read the piece by Marina Hyde I linked to, please do - it sets out the difference between WW2 and now so well.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Honestly, Pulisa, part of me thinks it's because there was a very visible threat to worry about. Anybody with half a brain knows that covid is a real threat, but we're not in amongst the noise and the smells on the intensive care units, which I think probably makes it easier to ignore.
    Yeah, I think this is an important point. There is less time for speculation and more time taking action. Walking a mile in someone else's shoes will always be a learning experience.

To many of us the pandemic has just meant inconvenience but plenty of people have seen their world shattered. I consider myself very lucky, if it gets into our house I may be joining the latter group. I just can't understand why some don't feel that way about others and some even have elderly relatives. My brother takes tests before he comes here and is fine with it. He will sit wearing a mask if we want him too. It's not then end of the world but that one unlucky time it gets in here certainly would be.

I seriously doubt people in Afghanistan are complaining about masks. They have very real reasons to live in fear with roadblocks of psychos checking their papers, possibly murdering them for the fun of it and treating women like animals.

It's not surprising, given your heritage, it's a sticking point. I think we Brits have a tendency to use war comparisons without giving it much thought. My parents were little kids hiding in Anderson shelters. I've heard them describe those years and it's unimaginable to me. I've never had to carry a gas mask.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Imagine getting call-up papers to fight for your country today..Or being told to comply with blackout regulations...

Freedom of choice innit..
    Thanks to Cold War Steve:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eyen-says.html

This seems to be spreading faster than the virus itself. So people say ok nobody is going to force me to be pinned down to take the jab so what am I going to be paying fines for years? Perhaps jail?

And are they going to jail people every 3 months the jab is due? I don’t see the logistics in mandating a vaccine which requires 4 doses per year

They’re talking about the EU. I don’t know if you’ve been living on Mars for the past few years, but the UK is no longer a part of the EU. Thankfully, the vast majority of people in this country have been fully vaccinated and will get boosters if and when required.

You’re comparing apples and oranges. Give it a rest.

Page 77 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread Information