Thread: Has anyone been to an ophthalmologist appointment

Has anyone been to an ophthalmologist appointment

Just wanted to ask if anyone has been to this. When I had a routine eye test at the opticians she noticed "floaters" in one of my eyes and has referred me. The appointment is tomorrow and it says on the letter that I cannot drive!
    Having to go myself to hospital so need a bit of reassurance too please

Darkangel x

Re: Has anyone been to an ophthalmologist appointment

Being diabetic I get this done every year they put drops in your eyes to enlarge the pupils then examine the inside of your eyes, it takes 3 or 4 hours for your vision to go back to normal. Take some sunglasses with you as your eyes will be sensitive for a while particularly if it is sunny.

Thanks for that Lolly and Clive. I will defo take my sunglasses with me too. Clive when u say for your vision to return to normal.............will I feel disorientated?

My appointment is 1.45 but I have to collect my daughter from school at 3.15!!!! I didnt realise it would take that long to go back to normal - yikes!!!!

DA

If they put the drops in your eyes then you won't be ok for driving that soon.

When I took Alex a couple of weeks ago he definitely needed the dark glasses and his vision didn't really return properly that evening so you will need to get someone else to do the driving I am afraid.

He said everything was just blurry and he couldn't even go on the laptop all evening and that is a rare thing lol.

Hope it goes ok for you.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Great news Nic, Ive no-one to ask!!!

Looks like I will be relying on taxis then

Will let u know how it goes, thanks

DA - they may not do this but as long as you are pre-warned then you can be prepared to get a taxi if necessary.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi, For many years..I have to go to hospital every 6 months for a serious deteriorating eye condition, and they will put drops in, it is not painful, not even uncomfortable, but a strange feeling. I have had other tests which involved injecting dye into the arm and then taking photos, but rest assured its all OK, you should not feel disorientated.
    Sometimes Ive been fit to drive after two hours and other times taken 6, depends how many they use.
    Both my children have had same procedure one, 6 times a year the other twice and there was never an occassion they could not go straight to school afterwards, hope this re assures you a bit.

Please bear with me, Ill be back for good soon.

Aaw, big 'ugs DA

I don't have personal experience of this, but my mum has had a lot of appointments over the last few years as she has had cataracts in both eyes.

She has drops put in, but doesn't drive anyway so this doesn't affect her.

She just stays with us for a couple of hours after, then we take her home - all very straightforward and nothing to worry about.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow - sending lots of love and hugs

Thread Information