Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am beyond terrified. I think it’s real this time.

I am beyond terrified. I think it’s real this time.

The other day I noticed how much more sunken in my left foot is around my ankle and side of the foot. It is really genuinely noticeable. I did have surgery to remove a large vein in that area a couple of years ago and I always put my sunken skin down to that. But it appear to have become worse in recent months.
    I realised that when I flex my toes upwards the muscle on my right foot is significantly more defined and strong and I can feel it moving when I use it. The left muscle is significantly weaker and smaller. When I flex my toes upwards I can see the muscles in my sunken section of my foot dancing like crazy.
    My brain is absolutely convinced that this is it. The other times I worried about having this disease I turned out to be fine, but this time the symptoms are significantly more real and I can see them and feel them. Im scared. Im throwing up from fear, crying and not eating. I feel like a husk and I am terrified. I spoke to a doctor on the phone the other day and he assured me I was alright, but he never saw my feet we just spoke over the phone. I am convinced that this is it. I’m so scared. It feels like I’ve noticed the symptoms super early because I really pay attention to things. I’m terrified guys. I can’t live like this.

Re: I am beyond terrified. I think it’s real this time.

I know it's hard to believe, but this is just your HA telling you lies. Trust the doctor and think about ways of learning to manage the anxiety.

I want to believe it so much. That it’s just anxiety, but all the symptoms seem so real. The sunken skin is real because I and people can see it. The worm like movements under my skin are real because I can see it. I don’t know what to do. I am hope it more than anything that this is once again health anxiety and nothing more. I’m so miserable.

I know what you are feeling. I too am having yet another als spiral. But, I promise you, you are ok. Asymmetry is normal (so my doctor assured me yesterday when I spoke to her about my own!)

Thank you. I really hope so. I think it was doing alright until the muscle started twitching and fluttering like crazy when I tried to flex my toes. I’ve done it since then and it doesn’t happen so I’m hoping it was because I tired out the muscle and it started twitching like that.
    I really want it to be nothing again, but I’m just so scared. I sent a video to my old doctor today today showing him my feet. He said that everything was caused by the fact that I had surgery on my foot and that there was nothing to worry about. But I just can’t drop it. I just want to feel ‘normal’ again.

I know that feeling! But with HA we always catastrophize - it’s sort of the nature of the beast.

He said that everything was caused by the fact that I had surgery on my foot and that there was nothing to worry about.
    y

Thats it then, case closed. Obvious cause and effect, that you already knew about really anyway. Now its time to start repeating the actual facts to yourself over and over, out loud if necessary. E.g. I had surgery on my foot its not surprising there is a sunken area, I am testing my mucles in that area no wonder they are getting tired, one doctor has seen a video and another has spoken to me, both say its nothing.........you have to break the pattern of the 'what ifs' with repetition of reassurance.

I read some medical research today and found out this morning that nerve damage can trigger ALS starting from the place of the damage. So that’s really done a number on my metal health. That and finding out that people with an autoimmune disorder like colitis are also more at risk of developing the the disease. It said that people with an auto immune disease are more at risk of developing ALS from an nerve injury when they have an auto immune disease which I do. I’m honestly so scared it’s unreal. I’m losing weight like crazy and I cry all the time. I spoke to my doctor more and he said it is 100% from the surgery which the muscles are shaking when I flex my toes and that it will never heal because that’s what happened from the surgery. But I just can’t believe it. It’s all adding up with the research. I’m so terrified it’s unreal.

Why on earth were you reading medical research?

You need to start helping yourself here.

I'm truly sorry you're feeling this way. The reality is it's not real this time, but sadly, no amount of reality or reassurance can change your self examination behaviors, googling and mindset. The ALS rabbit hole is deep and dark. I truly hope you find your way out.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information