Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scared I Have Pancreatic Cancer

Re: Panicking About Liver Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by willll View Post
    So, a few days ago I posted a thread about pancreatic cancer. Since then, I’ve moved on to another fear… liver cancer.

It all started last week with a dull ache in my upper right abdomen. Sort of felt like a cramping pain. It was constant and I didn’t think much of it until the next day when it continued. As the days progressed it got worse. It is constant and not severe (which makes me think it’s not my gallbladder). Feels like a dull ache sometimes, and sometimes it feels like a sharp stabbing pain. Other times it just feels crampy and bloated.

I was googling as usual and came across a specific type of liver cancer that primarily affects younger people. It is extremely rare, but for some reason I cannot accept any other cause.

I messaged my doctor today. My mom seems to think it’s my gallbladder, but I’m terrified that it’s something worse. I can envision myself going to the doctors office and being diagnosed with cancer. I fear that I do not have much time left, because this specific type of cancer is usually found in a very late stage. I don’t know what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why have you started a new thread on the same subject? You were on about liver cancer in the other one because I told you about my friend who actually had liver cancer!

You don't have late stage liver cancer. Have you actually seen late stage liver cancer? We're talking major organ malfunctioning, and not just the liver. Not just some vague tummy ache!

I can envision you going to the doctors and hearing the words 'anxiety' and/or IBS..

Perfect example of why we shouldn’t Google symptoms. Nearly every symptom you can think of will return web pages that will list a type of cancer being a possibility because most symptoms are non specific. Google doesn’t know you, it doesn’t know your age, family history or your medical history and so it’s gonna return everything that relates or can relate to whatever you told it to look for. This is not a good idea for someone with health anxiety because out of all the possibilities listed your brain will choose the most concerning condition even when that condition is a rare one.

You don’t have liver cancer, it doesn’t present this way. People with liver cancer especially late stage are very sick.

There are lots of reasons for abdominal discomfort. If your concerned see your doctor but liver cancer or any type of cancer for that matter is a huge jump.
    Last edited by Careful1; 14-07-21 at 15:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Careful1 View Post

You don’t have liver cancer, it doesn’t present this way. People with liver cancer especially late stage are very sick.
    Will's not listening and he's probably scanning these replies, or not reading them at all.. The HA goggles are well and truly on..

Every bit of rational information and advice on here will be met with a 'but'.. This time it's different. Haven't all of us who've battled with this disorder been there? This will go on and on he finally accepts that he doesn't have LC, and then it will be onto something else, and something else..

The abdo issues won't go away because the anxiety won't go away until he addresses the health anxiety - and even then it will take time for the system to settle back down so these symptoms will continue to feed into his belief that he has cancer..

Re: Scared I Have Pancreatic Cancer

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

It’s just so weird. I have moments of “clarity” where liver cancer sounds ridiculous, then other times it seems like the only possible scenario. I had a good year or so without any health anxiety, but I guess I still have a lot more to work on.

Anyway, I’m going this evening for some blood work and then within the next few days I’m having an abdominal ultrasound. My doctor seems to think it’s gallstones, as both my dad and sister had them and needed their gallbladders removed.

She said this is not how malignancy usually presents, so I’m trying as hard as I can to trust her.

Thanks for helping to bring me back down to Earth again everyone.

Blood work came back normal. Had my ultrasound this morning. Technician said no gallstones, or maybe a very tiny one and possibly a polyp in my gallbladder. No mention of a mass or anything on the liver.

Having moments where I know I’m going to be okay, and then in another moment I’m scared it’s liver cancer.

Just waiting for the radiologist to write the report and send it to my doctor and then I’ll know the results.

I’m just terrified they’re going to call me and tell me I have a tumor on my liver.

Trying to think positive thoughts, but damn is it hard.

Quote Originally Posted by willll View Post
    Blood work came back normal. Had my ultrasound this morning. Technician said no gallstones, or maybe a very tiny one and possibly a polyp in my gallbladder. No mention of a mass or anything on the liver.

Having moments where I know I’m going to be okay, and then in another moment I’m scared it’s liver cancer.
    There's nothing on the liver.

I’m just terrified they’re going to call me and tell me I have a tumor on my liver.
    Again, there's nothing on the liver.

Trying to think positive thoughts, but damn is it hard.
    There's the 'but'. The single most important word that HA relies on..

When you get the clear results, what then?

I'll tell you..

If you don't get the psychological help you need now, your HA will go into hibernation for days, weeks, months, or maybe even years, and it will come back to whoop your @rse again!

Blood work is normal. There is no mass on your liver. There is no evidence for liver cancer.

You can choose to stay on this train or you choose to get off. The lull that you'll experience when you get the written verification that you are healthy? That's your crazy train slowing down. At this point you can choose to get off the train or you can choose to stay on. Your choice.

To anyone who might be experiencing something similar, here’s an update:

Got the results of my ultrasound today. Liver, pancreas, and bile ducts are all clean. I have multiple small gallstones and a polyp in my gallbladder measuring 6mm in diameter. They think it’s a polyp, but could also be a sludge ball or adherent stone. Follow-up with another abdominal ultrasound in 6 months for the polyp, unless I decide to have surgery for the stones.

Now time to focus on the health anxiety.

Cheers for the update.

Now time to focus on the health anxiety.
    Easy words...

No quick fix with HA. You have to work your way out of it..

It's always good when people come back and tell us HA veterans what we already knew, but it would have been nice to see you thank those who have been talking you through this phase of your HA journey? People take time and effort to respond and they don't have to, you know?

Nora, you are so right. It was very inconsiderate of me to not thank everyone who gave me feedback on this thread. Thank you guys for taking time out of your day to try to keep me grounded. I very much appreciate it. My apologies for not doing this sooner.

Once again, thank you everyone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information