Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeling isolated from friends

Re: Feeling isolated from friends

Yes that could be an issue only a handful know I’ve not had the vaccine course only one or two could spread the news to everybody. It’s very sad we are in the situation of a two tier society. In my opinion a vaccinated person is well protected you could come into close contact with any unvaccinated person in a shop. I think covid has really brought out the worst in some people.

A friend of mine isn't getting vaccinated - I'd rather she was, but I wouldn't stop seeing her because of it.

My brother's anti-vax and he insists on seeing my parents when my father has a terminal lung condition.

I hate that prick.

I'll be honest, I'm not seeing anyone who isn't vaccinated. I have two family members with medical conditions and I work with kids, some of whom are too young to be vaccinated.

I think covid has really brought out the worst in some people.
    ...and its brought out the best in, fortunately, a higher proportion.

In my opinion a vaccinated person is well protected you could come into close contact with any unvaccinated person in a shop.
    Yes, you could, but spending a significant time with someone socially is a different issue, especially if their philosophies on covid are quite different to yours. People want to protect themselves and their families. As you have said yourself a few times - sometimes people can still get covid even after being vaccinated (and there are rising cases and different variants).
    Last edited by Carys; 12-07-21 at 21:20.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Yes that could be an issue only a handful know I’ve not had the vaccine course only one or two could spread the news to everybody. It’s very sad we are in the situation of a two tier society. In my opinion a vaccinated person is well protected you could come into close contact with any unvaccinated person in a shop. I think covid has really brought out the worst in some people.
    Now replace 'news' with 'Covid' and you might understand the concerns others have over those who won't vaccinate.

In a shop your contact is at a minimum. With friends you are closer and for much longer. I don't see why someone shouldn't declare they aren't vaccinated so friends can decide whether to risk it or not? They may have a 90 year old gran with Ill health.

If Covid means society has tiers imagine what it's like for people with mental health problems? Or the unemployed? Or the disabled? LGBT+? I think this two tier stuff is just another cry about freedom as a concept because the reality I've always known has multiple tiers based on privilege (wealth, education), not being different (LGBT+, ethnicity, culture & religion), health (mental especially but also physical), even age whether too young or old, etc.

So perhaps forget that? Ultimately we are all barred from something due to our status, means, even the clothes we are wearing (no trainers in the nightclub). It's just another one of these and likely temporary anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Now replace 'news' with 'Covid' and you might understand the concerns others have over those who won't vaccinate.

In a shop your contact is at a minimum. With friends you are closer and for much longer. I don't see why someone shouldn't declare they aren't vaccinated so friends can decide whether to risk it or not? They may have a 90 year old gran with Ill health.

If Covid means society has tiers imagine what it's like for people with mental health problems? Or the unemployed? Or the disabled? LGBT+? I think this two tier stuff is just another cry about freedom as a concept because the reality I've always known has multiple tiers based on privilege (wealth, education), not being different (LGBT+, ethnicity, culture & religion), health (mental especially but also physical), even age whether too young or old, etc.

So perhaps forget that? Ultimately we are all barred from something due to our status, means, even the clothes we are wearing (no trainers in the nightclub). It's just another one of these and likely temporary anyway.
    You've really hit the nail on the head there, Terry!

We have pretty much always been a multi-tiered society ever since time immemorial, and in context, the jabbed vs the unjabbed is only just one of the latest in a long line of aspects of such a society.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    You've really hit the nail on the head there, Terry!

We have pretty much always been a multi-tiered society ever since time immemorial, and in context, the jabbed vs the unjabbed is only just one of the latest in a long line of aspects of such a society.
    But this one is down to personal choice, and you can't really complain about which tier you're in when it's purely by your own choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum123 View Post
    But this one is down to personal choice, and you can't really complain about which tier you're in when it's purely by your own choosing.
    Agreed. Every society is multi-tiered depending on many factors: SES/class, race, religion, ability, etc. We can work to make it more equal, but it still exists. There are some simple solutions to Phil's problems; he can get vaccinated and wear a mask.

I don't think he'll come back while we're discussing this, in any case. Surely at some point he has to learn that the world won't reshape itself around his fears?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information