Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to the hell-raising singers/bands?

What happened to the hell-raising singers/bands?

A common cultural element of past decades were certain musical groups/ singers who were not only 'edgy' and 'pushing the boundaries', but also had extreme hell-raising tendencies.

Of note, from the 60s through the 2000s, it's been The Who, Rolling Stones, Sex Pistols, Ozzy Osbourne, Beastie Boys, Guns N Roses, Happy Mondays, Oasis, Limp Bizkit, So Solid Crew, Pete Doherty, to name but a few.

For better or worse, (apart from some drill-rappers), we barely seem to hear of such antics in the same way these days.

Hence the Brit Awards and the like seemingly becoming much tamer and less raucous over more recent times, unlike back in those heady days of the 90s and early 2000s where said events almost always seemed to be marred by some kind of 'aggro' from nominees.

I wonder what's been going on?

Re: What happened to the hell-raising singers/bands?

Maybe they are giving us a break as theres already a lot of 'hell-raising' going on in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Maybe they are giving us a break as theres already a lot of 'hell-raising' going on in the world
    Very good point!

What is a drill rapper?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

For better or worse, (apart from some drill-rappers), we barely seem to hear of such antics in the same way these days.
    Drill rappers? That's twice you've said this today! Call me an old fart (don't ) but I've never heard of this. It sounds like something my husband would go to B&Q for?

Hence the Brit Awards and the like seemingly becoming much tamer and less raucous over more recent times, unlike back in those heady days of the 90s and early 2000s where said events almost always seemed to be marred by some kind of 'aggro' from nominees.

I wonder what's been going on?
    The hellraisers have grown older. They're a dying breed.

I still think musical artists use the shock factor to get fans and promote social awareness. Just look at Lil Nas X latest music video. There were several groups that were offended and freaking out over here. I have no problem with it. I honestly don't think it was as shocking as things that Madonna or Miley Cyrus have done, in terms of sexual content.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    I still think musical artists use the shock factor to get fans and promote social awareness. Just look at Lil Nas X latest music video. There were several groups that were offended and freaking out over here. I have no problem with it. I honestly don't think it was as shocking as things that Madonna or Miley Cyrus have done, in terms of sexual content.
    Mind you, sexually explicit content and F-bombs in popular music have already been done to death over the past 30-odd years or so, so obviously don't register 'wit' 'da yoof' in quite the same way as back in the 90s and 2000s, and all seems a bit passé now IMO.

I suppose to really up the ante with 'shock value' they would probably have to produce 'extremist' explicit material glorifying child abuse, terrorism, racism, extreme violent crime, etc, all of which doesn't bear thinking about!

They all got older ... and some of them grew up. Including the most notorious of them who are now probably afflicted by years of physical wear and tear. Have you seen Mick Jagger and Ozzy Osbourne lately?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Drill rappers? That's twice you've said this today! Call me an old fart (don't ) but I've never heard of this. It sounds like something my husband would go to B&Q for?

The hellraisers have grown older. They're a dying breed.
    But ironically haven't (as yet) been replaced by young modern-day equivalents of whom in previous generations were out to up the ante and outdo their predecessors in terms of being edgy and acting 'ard.

The same also very much applied to the youth culture of previous generations in general, beyond the typical world of showbiz/entertainment.

Like I've already mentioned before in another thread on here, we don't appear to get the hysteria and moral panics over out-of-control school kids now to the same extent that we used to during most past decades, or perhaps nowadays the media tend to keep 'troublesome' school kids lower key and therefore just don't make such a big deal out of them like they used to.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 13-07-21 at 18:58.

Ok so I googled drill rappers.

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    Very good point!

What is a drill rapper?
    He raps with his Black & Decker out?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information