Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the hell-raising singers/bands?

Re: What happened to the hell-raising singers/bands?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    No offence intended to you about the 90s era, Nora.
    No offence taken Lenco!

Most of the acts you just mentioned were never quite my cup of tea but each to one's own.

Having said that there's bound to be certain acts whose music I really enjoy that might not quite be your cup of tea.
    Maybe, but my taste in music is eclectic to say the least. I was listening to 1940's music the other day and punk on the way back from Tesco! I'm a fan of music, not just specific genres..

What type of bands do you like Len?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    No offence taken Lenco!

Maybe, but my taste in music is eclectic to say the least. I was listening to 1940's music the other day and punk on the way back from Tesco! I'm a fan of music, not just specific genres..

What type of bands do you like Len?
    In no particular order;

ABBA, Queen, Beatles, Phil Collins (both solo and with Genesis), Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) and many of the other big name acts from the Birmingham/W Mids area.

I quite like Ed Sheeran's long-running #1 smash hit 'Bad Habits' as well, even though he's generally hit and miss for me.

In no particular order;

ABBA, Queen, Beatles, Phil Collins (both solo and with Genesis), Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) and many of the other big name acts from the Birmingham/W Mids area.

I quite like Ed Sheeran's long-running #1 smash hit 'Bad Habits' as well, even though he's generally hit and miss for me.
    See, I like all of these!

If you're into bands from your area then what about Wizzard?

What do you think about ABBA reforming? I'm not sure myself...

See, I like all of these!

If you're into bands from your area then what about Wizzard?

What do you think about ABBA reforming? I'm not sure myself...
    I do like Wizzard. And The Move.

In the case of the former, I like many of their big hits as well as the big Christmas one, which I would much rather tolerate over that Slade one, which I can't stand!

Whilst I'm generally happy about ABBA's reunion and comeback album, especially being so far-fetched and unthinkable since probably the mid-80s at the earliest, I am also a bit concerned about a possible backlash against them and the usual slagging off/cynicism, plus inevitable accusations of the four being money motivated for doing it.

Seems that basically everyone's an expert at nearly everything these days!

I do like Wizzard. And The Move.

In the case of the former, I like many of their big hits as well as the big Christmas one, which I would much rather tolerate over that Slade one, which I can't stand!
    I can't stand the Slade one either but that's because it was playing on the hospital radio when my dad died and since then, every time Noddy Holder screeches, 'IT'S CHRIIIIIIIIISTTTTMAAAAAAAAAAAAS' I think of my dad carking it.

Whilst I'm generally happy about ABBA's reunion and comeback album, especially being so far-fetched and unthinkable since probably the mid-80s at the earliest, I am also a bit concerned about a possible backlash against them and the usual slagging off/cynicism, plus inevitable accusations of the four being money motivated for doing it.
    I can't imagine that Benny & Bjorn need the money after all the Mamma Mia stuff?

ABBA were of their time for me. One of THE iconic bands of the 1970s and their early 80s stuff wasn't bad either. They had a bash at disco and it wasn't bad at all. But I remember listening to The Visitors album and not liking it with the exceptions of 'One of us' and 'Slipping Through My Fingers' - the latter one took on a different meaning when I grew up, had kids of my own, and then my mother died. I left home at 16 and I didn't understand (until many years later) how much this hurt my mum so this particular ABBA song is emotionally evocative to me. Except that the girl in the song appears to like school, and I did not!

Listening to one of the new ABBA songs (and seeing the video showing ABBA as they were) I'm wondering is this is the 'farewell' that we didn't get first time around? I don't think they ever actually disbanded? The music (generally) went downhill and they made an appearance on a TV show - sang Thank You For The Music - and that was it? I always felt that it was a pretty crappy ending from such a much loved band, and I think fans felt cheated too?

I think it might take me a while to get used to having ABBA around again? But if the music is good and the girl's voices are still there (and not autotuned to feck) then I can see how this could really work for them, and maybe this is the perfect time for them to make a come back because the music in the charts is much of a muchness. Maybe ol' Benny Boy and Bjorn are playing a blinder of a card here? We'll see...

I can't stand the Slade one either but that's because it was playing on the hospital radio when my dad died and since then, every time Noddy Holder screeches, 'IT'S CHRIIIIIIIIISTTTTMAAAAAAAAAAAAS' I think of my dad carking it.

I can't imagine that Benny & Bjorn need the money after all the Mamma Mia stuff?

ABBA were of their time for me. One of THE iconic bands of the 1970s and their early 80s stuff wasn't bad either. They had a bash at disco and it wasn't bad at all. But I remember listening to The Visitors album and not liking it with the exceptions of 'One of us' and 'Slipping Through My Fingers' - the latter one took on a different meaning when I grew up, had kids of my own, and then my mother died. I left home at 16 and I didn't understand (until many years later) how much this hurt my mum so this particular ABBA song is emotionally evocative to me. Except that the girl in the song appears to like school, and I did not!

Listening to one of the new ABBA songs (and seeing the video showing ABBA as they were) I'm wondering is this is the 'farewell' that we didn't get first time around? I don't think they ever actually disbanded? The music (generally) went downhill and they made an appearance on a TV show - sang Thank You For The Music - and that was it? I always felt that it was a pretty crappy ending from such a much loved band, and I think fans felt cheated too?

I think it might take me a while to get used to having ABBA around again? But if the music is good and the girl's voices are still there (and not autotuned to feck) then I can see how this could really work for them, and maybe this is the perfect time for them to make a come back because the music in the charts is much of a muchness. Maybe ol' Benny Boy and Bjorn are playing a blinder of a card here? We'll see...
    I totally understand your negative association with the Slade Christmas song, but mine is the fact that I have to suffer ear torture from it every flipping festive season when there's plenty of good newer festive singles that nobody seems interested in.

I mean 'proper', non-auto-tuned, and with real instruments, but sadly even the BBC would rather stay stuck in 1973.

When people keep saying stuff like 'They don't make 'em like they used to', it's because nobody's willing to give new stuff a chance anymore, and would rather stay stuck in the past instead. All in all, it seems that nostalgia has stolen the future!

As for ABBA, 'The Visitors' is actually one of my favourite original studio albums of theirs, together with its immediate predecessor 'Super Trouper'. I also like their (then) penultimate single 'The Day Before You Came', which despite being released almost a year later, still very much feels part of 'The Visitors' footprint to me, and I think it has appeared as one of several bonus tracks on subsequent deluxe edition CD reissues of said album.

It's a shame it missed the UK Top 20, but of course most people seemed to consider ABBA old hat by then onwards.

When people keep saying stuff like 'They don't make 'em like they used to', it's because nobody's willing to give new stuff a chance anymore, and would rather stay stuck in the past instead. All in all, it seems that nostalgia has stolen the future!
    Sound engineers have been looking to gain control over sound since the 70s and there was a point where (I think) they got it bang on - as in the 80s/90s. Sound was more 'polished' but not so much that the integrity of the music was lost, you know?

As for ABBA, 'The Visitors' is actually one of my favourite original studio albums of theirs, together with its immediate predecessor 'Super Trouper'. I also like their (then) penultimate single 'The Day Before You Came', which despite being released almost a year later, still very much feels part of 'The Visitors' footprint to me, and I think it has appeared as one of several bonus tracks on subsequent deluxe edition CD reissues of said album.
    My mum & brother both liked 'The Visitors' album and 'The Day Before You Came'. I didn't like it. I don't know why seeing as I like Radiohead and they're about as gloomy as it gets! I can do gloomy!

It's a shame it missed the UK Top 20, but of course most people seemed to consider ABBA old hat by then onwards.
    The album was released in 1981 - the time of the New Romantics, so Abba were trying to compete with the likes of Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, and Adam & the Ants? Their response was to go with gloomy songs about ageing, war, and loss and that wasn't the ABBA that I knew. As a band they looked fed up and miserable with each other - which of course they were. Then again, I was 11 years old and Adam & the Ants with their war paint and double-drumming was TOTALLY doing it for me.

Sound engineers have been looking to gain control over sound since the 70s and there was a point where (I think) they got it bang on - as in the 80s/90s. Sound was more 'polished' but not so much that the integrity of the music was lost, you know?

My mum & brother both liked 'The Visitors' album and 'The Day Before You Came'. I didn't like it. I don't know why seeing as I like Radiohead and they're about as gloomy as it gets! I can do gloomy!

The album was released in 1981 - the time of the New Romantics, so Abba were trying to compete with the likes of Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, and Adam & the Ants? Their response was to go with gloomy songs about ageing, war, and loss and that wasn't the ABBA that I knew. As a band they looked fed up and miserable with each other - which of course they were. Then again, I was 11 years old and Adam & the Ants with their war paint and double-drumming was TOTALLY doing it for me.
    Some interesting points there Nora.

Whilst still on the subject of popular music, since around the late 90s at the earliest, there's been much speculation doing the rounds that in prior decades artists had to sell at least 1 million copies of their latest release to reach #1 in the charts.

Whilst I completely agree that overall sales were greater in past decades (for various reasons), I personally think the idea about having to sell 1 million to reach #1 is a myth and complete and utter BS, as whichever release that reaches #1 in any given week is generally the release that sells the most during that particular week. Twas ever thus.

I think as per usual it's people romanticising the past with rose-tinted specs. Hasn't the music industry as a whole gone through various ups and downs over the years anyway? Also have many currently wearing their rose-tinted specs now forgotten about the 'Home Taping Is Killing Music' palaver of the late 70s-mid-80s era?
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 24-09-21 at 09:47.

I went to see Oasis in concert last night.. (Knebworth 96 at the cinema)

Really cool film..

These two concerts was one of those times in life where everything slips into place for something special to occur. The band were at their best. Liam's voice was at it's best. Liam & Noel liked one another. Social media & mobile phones had yet to happen. And Oasis were very good at what they did. I say 'very good' because, as musicians, they were not exceptional. Exceptional was when John Squire walked on stage and started to play Champagne Supernova..
    Last edited by NoraB; 28-09-21 at 13:24.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information