Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to the hell-raising singers/bands?

Re: What happened to the hell-raising singers/bands?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    But ironically haven't (as yet) been replaced by young modern-day equivalents of whom in previous generations were out to up the ante and outdo their predecessors in terms of being edgy and acting 'ard.

The same also very much applied to the youth culture of previous generations in general, beyond the typical world of showbiz/entertainment.

Like I've already mentioned before in another thread on here, we don't appear to get the hysteria and moral panics over out-of-control school kids now to the same extent that we used to during most past decades, or perhaps nowadays the media tend to keep 'troublesome' school kids lower key and therefore just don't make such a big deal out of them like they used to.
    Yeah but imagine the years to come with komodes thrown out of care home windows and stairlift 'mile high club' antics.

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    They all got older ... and some of them grew up. Including the most notorious of them who are now probably afflicted by years of physical wear and tear. Have you seen Mick Jagger and Ozzy Osbourne lately?
    Mick's looked like that for a while Dora. And Keith Richards has been looking like he's been exhumed since the 90s lol

Ozzy cuts quite the pathetic picture now doesn't he? Now he's an old man, shuffling about and missing some marbles. The bloke was an absolute @rse to his first wife, but I respect the fact that he acknowledges what he did and is remorseful. He was quite the looker back in the day! Shaaarrrrrrrrron!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Mick's looked like that for a while Dora. And Keith Richards has been looking like he's been exhumed since the 90s lol

Ozzy cuts quite the pathetic picture now doesn't he? Now he's an old man, shuffling about and missing some marbles. The bloke was an absolute @rse to his first wife, but I respect the fact that he acknowledges what he did and is remorseful. He was quite the looker back in the day! Shaaarrrrrrrrron!!!
    Nora, maybe about 5 years ago now Ronnie Wood's paintings were featured in the art gallery in the Potteries Shopping Centre. I remember having a look. They were really good and pictures don't do them the justice of seeing them in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Nora, maybe about 5 years ago now Ronnie Wood's paintings were featured in the art gallery in the Potteries Shopping Centre. I remember having a look. They were really good and pictures don't do them the justice of seeing them in real life.
    Just had a look online. He's not bad at all is he?

That one of Slash is fab!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    A common cultural element of past decades were certain musical groups/ singers who were not only 'edgy' and 'pushing the boundaries', but also had extreme hell-raising tendencies.

Of note, from the 60s through the 2000s, it's been The Who, Rolling Stones, Sex Pistols, Ozzy Osbourne, Beastie Boys, Guns N Roses, Happy Mondays, Oasis, Limp Bizkit, So Solid Crew, Pete Doherty, to name but a few.

For better or worse, (apart from some drill-rappers), we barely seem to hear of such antics in the same way these days.

Hence the Brit Awards and the like seemingly becoming much tamer and less raucous over more recent times, unlike back in those heady days of the 90s and early 2000s where said events almost always seemed to be marred by some kind of 'aggro' from nominees.

I wonder what's been going on?
    You forgot to mention 'Brotherhood of Man' Lenco. Talk about pushing the boundaries, they were cutting edge hell-raisers in a league of their own. 'Save Your Kisses for Me' was banned in so many countries...

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    You forgot to mention 'Brotherhood of Man' Lenco. Talk about pushing the boundaries, they were cutting edge hell-raisers in a league of their own. 'Save Your Kisses for Me' was banned in so many countries...
    How about Gilbert O Sullivan's 'Claire'? That song is well dodge!

That said, I recall telling my dad I'd only consider marrying him? (Dad, not Gilbert, and I was only about 5)

What about Jerry Lee Lewis and his 'great balls of fire'? Marrying his 13 year old cousin? ("I thought she was 15 your Honour")

Dodgiest song I've ever heard though is Young Girl by Gary Puckett. A lil ditty about an age of consent issue..

Alright then, if we're talking BOM into the hellraising group, how about Bucks Fizz? Ripping skirts off during Eurovision? Scandalous!

@NoraB I thought of you this morning. I put on a band t-shirt (well the lead singer), who coincidentally has been quite politically outspoken in his time. Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam).

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    @NoraB I thought of you this morning. I put on a band t-shirt (well the lead singer), who coincidentally has been quite politically outspoken in his time. Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam).
    Pearl Jam were (and still are) brilliant! Just Breathe is one of my all time favourite songs...

I was listening to Pearl Jam in the car the other day - head banging (as much as the cervical spondylosis will allow lol) along to Even Flow..

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Pearl Jam were (and still are) brilliant! Just Breathe is one of my all time favourite songs...

I was listening to Pearl Jam in the car the other day - head banging (as much as the cervical spondylosis will allow lol) along to Even Flow..
    They are my favourite band of all time! I've seen them multiple times and Eddie Vedder solo a couple of times too. We were meant to be seeing them three times this year (carried over from cancelled ones last year), although probably them being cancelled is quite a blessing as I'm probably not all that great shakes for it this time round. I'm a little embarrassed to say that at 54 I am a member of their fan club. 😳

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    They are my favourite band of all time! I've seen them multiple times and Eddie Vedder solo a couple of times too. We were meant to be seeing them three times this year (carried over from cancelled ones last year), although probably them being cancelled is quite a blessing as I'm probably not all that great shakes for it this time round. I'm a little embarrassed to say that at 54 I am a member of their fan club. 
    That's amazing C!

I'm still hoping to tick seeing The Cure off my bucket list, and most of their fan base are in their 50s and 60s lol

We almost saw The Lightning Seeds last year (car concert) it was for my 50th, but it got cancelled by the promoters...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information