Thread: Panic about ALS

Panic about ALS

So last weekend I was having some sudden and profound weakness in my left foot/leg and when I examined it, it was out of the blue looking atrophied severely. I went to the doctor who confirmed the atrophy and said I have clinical weakness and a foot drop which I didn't even realize. They immediately ruled out MS with spinal tap and MRI and I'm left waiting for a neurologist on Friday and they mentioned ALS. I am in full blown panic mode now and can't stop freaking out. I have two young kids and I'm scared. Any advice?

Re: Panic about ALS

I am so sorry you are going through this. It does sound scary….. but you are posting on an anxiety forum, which makes me think you may have preexisting issues with this?

I see you have previously worried about sudden onset weakness, one several months ago, another over a year ago. What happened in these cases?

I had full body weakness but not clinical and it was everywhere. The foot drop is 100% new and wasn't there when they've checked before. I could still perform daily tasks then. It didn't fit criteria for anything serious and it ended up being a vitamin deficiency. I've been doing okay until now. They checked my vitamins this time and everything was perfect. I do have a history of anxiety, for sure. That's why I posted. The doctors are going to check for als as it's what they suggested but I'm here for how to deal with the anxiety while I wait for the tests. Right now, I was hoping for support for the anxiety piece and not necessarily advice on whether it's als as my doctor's have that under control.

Jclay, sorry you are going through this. And I wish I had the trick to give you some relief while you wait. It is definitely hard. Other than the usual stuff like deep breathing and so on, the thought that got me through waiting for an EMG was that it wasn't about me anymore. I was going to give my kid as many normal, fun days as possible before I potentially got bad news. I don't mean extra-fun, super memorable days doing special things, but just the regular stuff. I had a whole new appreciation for it.

Thank you for your reply, that is a great perspective! May as well not stress the kids out as well and carry out business as usual with so many snuggles while I wait.

Thread Information