Thread: How to deal with anxiety while roof is sorted

How to deal with anxiety while roof is sorted

So I've posted before about my anxiety surrounding our asbestos garage roof. I also have anxiety over contamination in general (handwashing so much it causes my hands to bleed) and health anxiety surrounding my kids. I'm having counselling to help and taking medication.

However, I've managed to organise the removal and replacement of the garage roof (husband has agreed, although it was assessed as low risk so he didn't want it changed - it does leak too, so that was another reason in my mind to have it replaced). This is stressing me out. The garage is packed full of stuff. It has to be emptied before they re-roof it. I don't really want to go in there and touch any of it. Apparently there's stuff we need in there though. As much as my anxiety wants to magically replace the roof, I know it's going to be quite a bit of work and really test my contamination issues. Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

Re: How to deal with anxiety while roof is sorted

Glad to hear you're on medication and having counselling for your anxiety. Is there any way your counsellor could suggest the best way to tackle this? Could it be incorporated into your therapy?

Thanks for replying. I spoke with my counsellor at length about my anxiety over this. I said how I just wanted to run away while the roof's being sorted. She pointed out that the experts had said it was fine to be here while it's being done and that I should be here. I'm going to try! I find I go from thinking about it quite rationally (how I felt for 8 years about it living here vs how I've felt for the past 6 months) to blind panic. I hate it. But I will stay here while the roof's done (think I'll stay indoors though).

That sounds like a good plan. The experts know what their doing and unless you get a major discount for giving them hand it's best you stay out of their way anyhow.

Thread Information