Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBT query

CBT query

Ok so I'm having some some CBT sessions around worrying and we're doing the concept of 'Worry time' and classifying worries as practical or hypothetical and I'm learning how to deal with them. I've had CBT in the past and found it helpful, but I'm really struggling with it this time. I'm not expecting miracles after just 2 sessions so far but any pointers would be helpful.

So the problems I'm experiencing are:

When I identify a worry, I'm putting it on a list in my phone. Once it's on the list I'm not meant to think about it anymore until 'worry time'. I'm finding this really difficult - once I start worrying or have a negative thought I'm finding it hard to shift.

When I get to the allotted 'worry time' I find it hard to settle to do it - I don't know, I might be putting obstacles in front of it to avoid doing it?

When I look at my list of worries I find I'm thinking a lot of them are ridiculous and I really have no control over them. I think it's because I generally feel better at the end of the afternoon/early evening but is it effective and should I be doing it when I'm actually feeling more anxious?

Last time I had CBT it was very much based around assertiveness and saying 'no' to things so I felt it was easier and had a very practical application, where I could see results quite quickly. I'm struggling with this one - which maybe means that I need it more? Any advice would be helpful.

Re: CBT query

This "worry time" concept doesn't sound very practical at all and I would struggle to see the point of it. Can you discuss how difficult you find this with your therapist or is he/she giving you a fixed CBT programme of sessions?

Not sure. It's through the NHS, so I would imagine there will be a fixed number. It's an official CBT course called 'Dealing with Worry' and it's supposed to be really good. I might read through all the stuff again, maybe I'm missing something.

Obviously I'll ask about it at my next session, but I'm really struggling with it.

Catkins, I've been through this several times and I have come to the conclusion that the idea of "worry time" is utter bullshit. It's absolutely impossible/impractical to do and the person who came up with the concept needs hitting about the head with a haddock or other large marine life form.

Practical/hypothetical worry; I understand the theory - after all, problem solving ("practical" worry) is my stock in trade - but it's very hard to dismiss hypothetical worries. I'm sadly not one of those people that can say "I'll deal with it if it becomes an issue", but always turn it into "but what if it becomes an issue?". Intrusive thoughts are called that for a reason.

My next MH assessment has just been bumped on into August due to circumstances with the IAPT team but I am very resistant to yet more CBT, which simply doesn't work for me.

I want to keep trying as the assertiveness one did help. I want to be able to not be overwhelmed by worrying. It's probably the more hypothetical ones that I struggle with. Although this year I think my brain poop was actually too much real life stress/grief that culminated in me being totally overwhelmed.

I guess I want the CBT to help me cope with day to day stuff so that I don't get so overwhelmed by everything.

I'll keep going with it, but it's not easy.

I am also having private counselling to tackle long term issues too. There's stuff in there that I need to sort out - that I thought I'd already worked through, but obviously it's very easy to fall back into very old ingrained beliefs about yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Catkins, I've been through this several times and I have come to the conclusion that the idea of "worry time" is utter bullshit. It's absolutely impossible/impractical to do and the person who came up with the concept needs hitting about the head with a haddock or other large marine life form.

Practical/hypothetical worry; I understand the theory - after all, problem solving ("practical" worry) is my stock in trade - but it's very hard to dismiss hypothetical worries. I'm sadly not one of those people that can say "I'll deal with it if it becomes an issue", but always turn it into "but what if it becomes an issue?". Intrusive thoughts are called that for a reason.

My next MH assessment has just been bumped on into August due to circumstances with the IAPT team but I am very resistant to yet more CBT, which simply doesn't work for me.

I said that I didn't want CBT so I am starting Counselling for Depression at the end of July. There wasn't a problem. Would you consider this option,PM? I'm going to give it a go. The IAPT services are pretty low level but it's making a start and seeing what the quality of therapy is like, I suppose.

I don’t really get worry time either. I do like the worry tree theory, so I tend to try and stick with that or mindfulness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I make a t chart. On one side is the worry. The other side is what I would do about it if it happened . When I have a list of those possible solutions, and I can stare at it on paper, it doesn’t seem so scary anymore.

Personally I think you find your own "methods" to manage anxiety and it doesn't matter whether they are NICE approved or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information