Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE RESPOND- Going back on prozac again for the fourth time and I'm scared

PLEASE RESPOND- Going back on prozac again for the fourth time and I'm scared

I started posting in this forum back in 2017 when I went through a hard time with my father being sick and living back with my parents with my daughter. I went through hell for months and thought I wouldn't make it but I did somehow and ended up taking Prozac again for three years. I've taken prozac back when it was sarafem in high school then 20mg when I was going through a horrible divorce, then again when I moved out of state, then back on it in 2017. The only reason Ive ever stopped taking it was because my insurance would lapse and I couldn't go see a Dr.

Last time I took it was Dec 2020 while I had covid and again my insurance lapsed and I couldn't get the Dr to prescribe it to me.

Fast forward to now and my anxiety is back and in full force. After a series of stressful events that involved my daughter getting sick, me thinking I had covid again, a friendship gone wrong, and depression I now have GERD and all I do is worry about having esophagus cancer or stomach cancer. I worry and cry in my room. Last night I had another major panic attack. I can't live like this anymore.

I went to a mental health clinic and the psychiatrist gave me 10mg prozac per my request and vistaril since they don't give out benzos....but now I'm wondering if I made a big mistake by taking the prozac today. My right eye is burning, my right ear is hurting, and the acid reflux is in full swing. I'm scared it's not going to work and I've done too much damage to my brain. Please help.

Re: PLEASE RESPOND- Going back on prozac again for the fourth time and I'm scared

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: PLEASE RESPOND- Going back on prozac again for the fourth time and I'm scared

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysmar09 View Post
    I started posting in this forum back in 2017
    back,

I went to a mental health clinic and the psychiatrist gave me 10mg prozac per my request and vistaril since they don't give out benzos....but now I'm wondering if I made a big mistake by taking the prozac today.
    It does seem true that ADs tend to become less effective each time they are stopped and restarted, but that doesn't necessarily mean fluoxetine won't work for you this time. However, the side-effects may be different this time and you may need to take a higher dose to get the same results.

My right eye is burning, my right ear is hurting, and the acid reflux is in full swing. I'm scared it's not going to work and I've done too much damage to my brain. Please help.
    Burning eyes and painful ears are not typical SSRI side-effects, however, an increase in anxiety at the beginning can be and maybe these symptoms owe more to this. What damage do you think has been done to your brain?

First off thanks for responding. I'm afraid that the ADs are causing me to become dependent on them. I'm scared that I'm going to have a psychotic break on them or it lead me into becoming mentally unstable. I don't understand why can't I come off of them.

Like even now I'm ready to quit and this is just my first day. I'm anxious and jittery. I have vistaril 25mg but they make me fe groggy and drunk once I wake up from them. Then add on the fact that I'm dealing with Gerd and I'm spiraling. This is too much

First off thanks for responding. I'm afraid that the ADs are causing me to become dependent on them. I'm scared that I'm going to have a psychotic break on them or it lead me into becoming mentally unstable.
    Did you have a psychotic episode, or become mentally unstable the other times you took fluoxetine? If not, why do you think you will this time?

I don't understand why can't I come off of them.
    If this is your fourth time on fluoxetine you must have stopped taking it three times which suggests you can come off it. Whether you should is another matter. What you've posted here makes a strong case for staying on fluoxetine, or another AD permanently if possible.

Like even now I'm ready to quit and this is just my first day. I'm anxious and jittery. I have vistaril 25mg but they make me fe groggy and drunk once I wake up from them. Then add on the fact that I'm dealing with Gerd and I'm spiraling. This is too much
    That's the anxiety talking. Was your life better with, or without medication? If 'with', then focus on that and not the side-effects which while unpleasant are not a sign of harm.

No I havent had a psychotic break but that's my biggest fears. And no my life wasn't great at all... I think I'm scared of change even when that change may be good. I am in therapy now and I'm trying to improve my life. But it seems like I'm not getting anywhere. I'm going to start really doing cbt and mindfulness

No I havent had a psychotic break but that's my biggest fears.
    How many of your fears actually come to pass? I'm guessing none, or very, very few. Plus the 'funny' thing with us anxious people is that when bad things really do happen we usually cope a lot better than most. It is the anticipatory fear of things which hardly ever happen that brings us undone, not the realities.

I am in therapy now and I'm trying to improve my life. But it seems like I'm not getting anywhere. I'm going to start really doing cbt and mindfulness
    That's great. Are you going to continue with the fluoxetine too?

It's day two today and honestly I really don't want to take it but I'm afraid that I already started it so I have to continue.

Hi. I've been on and off a few times and I have the same fears as you, that it won't work this time around. I'm 10 weeks in, I think it's the 4th time and I'm starting to improve. Around 8 weeks I noticed better moments and now I'm feeling like the worst is over.
    Im on 40mg. I started straight on 40 which was rough. I have to be honest the side effects are hard. It's not an easy journey at all.
    What helped me was just telling myself it was the side effects, that it's not forever and taking it literally hour by hour, then day by day. Not thinking too far in advance. I know that's easier said than done sometimes but you have to battle those negative thoughts.
    I also just let myself do exactly what I felt like I needed to do. No guilt if I needed to stay in bed, I just treated it exactly like I was recovering from a physical illness. Which you are really because anxiety is so physical and takes its toll on your body.
    Good luck. I hope it works for you. X

I took it again today. Going to take it easy for a few days. Im staying in bed for a few days and hopefully I can override the heightened anxiety. I took it at 9 this morning and I'm anticipating anxiety. I don't have any benzos but I do have vistaril. It knocks me out but if I gotta sleep this off I guess I'm sleeping it off lol I just hate this right now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information