Thread: Fear of catching covid I'd overwhelming

Fear of catching covid I'd overwhelming

With the cases rising rapidly I am terrified that it's inevitable that I will catch covid at some point. I am struggling massively with this fear. I am feeling panicky and don't know how to calm down. I work on a checkout in a large supermarket and feel quite vulnerable. I have been on holiday for 3 weeks and go back today, I'm dreading it. One of my work colleagues has covid atm and she has been so unwell, she is double vaccinated.

How do I cope with this fear? I was already very unwell with anxiety and depression before covid but this has really ramped it up.

Re: Fear of catching covid I'd overwhelming

Hello rainbow, have you had your vaccine(s)? If you have, your chances of getting it severely are minuscule. Even if your colleague feels horrible after getting it with both doses, its very unlikely that she will need hospital treatment.

If you're still waiting for second vax I understand the anxiety (I am too!) And thank you for doing such a public facing role at this time. Supermarket employees have done amazingly through all this. I'd speak to your manager about your anxieties - can you still have a screen around you, for instance?

I can't say I'm not worried about it either. Keep wearing your mask, gel your hands and follow appropriate guidelines.

Come tomorrow there are going to be a lot of us in the same boat. A lot of people have struggled making the adjustments so far.

I'm saying this as much to myself as you, I've been double vaccinated, I am going to carry on with a mask in shops, I'm still going to have gel in my handbag.

The chances are that we won't catch it and if we do we won't be hospitalised.

I'm also going to be carrying on as before. Is your supermarket changing any of its policies re covid, Rainbow? Will you still have screens at the checkout?

You've survived both jabs despite your terror re a potential blood clot. There is a huge difference between feeling ghastly from covid and being hospitalised due to life-threatening complications and double vaxxing will give you protection from really severe illness.

I'll be doing the same as all of you. I've got so used to a facemask now its second nature to wear one. Tomorrow feels very scary right now, the anxiety is delighted of course.

Thread Information