Thread: ALS Concerns

ALS Concerns

I can't tell if this is my health anxiety or if something more is going on. I have been like a stone for the last few weeks. Pretty much consumed with worry all day and not functional. Neuro appt isn't until the middle of August. I have weakness from the shoulder down on both sides. Sometimes my arms feel like they have been worked out from tightness when I haven't done anything. Not sure how to explain it. Can't tell if it's real clinical weakness or not. I also developed swallowing issues over the last few months as well a long with having excess saliva all day. I can swallow big peices, pills, and liquids. What's getting stuck in the back of my mouth is like residue from drier foods, etc. Feels like my tongue is to big for my mouth. I can move it side to side and up and down. Just looking for some support here. I am 40 years old so realize on the younger side to have something like ALS but these symptoms are not going away.
    Last edited by Emoney12; 18-07-21 at 15:31.

Re: ALS Concerns

I feel for you and relate. Nothing you’ve said sounds like ALS, which, anyway, would be a very unlikely thing for you to develop….. why are you seeing a neurologist? Have you worried about als for long…? I don’t know anything about your history…

I think hearing from neurologist that I am crazy may be the only way I can move forward.

Have had ALS on my mind for a month. After I started looking for answers about swallowing issues and muscle weakness/tightness ALS is the thing that always seems to pop up.

Also anxiety and hyper awareness….

Yup. Just on my mind 24/7 which makes it difficult to function.

Saw the neuro this morning. He is sending me for a swallow study to see what's going on in that front. He did order an EMG as well for a peice of mind. Said my exam was 100% normal and didn't think anything was overly wrong.

So back down the ALS rabbithole again. 😭

Thread Information