Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood work has me in tears

Blood work has me in tears

I got my bloodwork. Slightly low rdw which is a new test for me. Slightly elevated calcium and albumin which a few sites say indicates a malignancy. I have no idea how I’ll get through the day until the dr is in Monday. He didn’t call to give the results yet they came up on the website. My cholesterol is also elevated in certain areas. I didn’t have to fast for this test but I ended up fasting because I also had an ultrasound. Anyone ever had this and it not be bad

Re: Blood work has me in tears

Hi first of all I would probably be climbing the walls with worry so I am last to give advice. But "slightly" elevated may not be too much to worry about at this point? Stay off Google though it will only lead you down endless rabbit holes of worry.

Yes normal is under 10.2 I am 10.5

It sounds very minimal to me. Slightly raised levels can be caused by dehydration. Why were you getting blood work done? Last time I looked you were worried about IBC!

I was worried about my liver. So that morning I had the liver ultrasound done. I stopped all liquid intake at midnight the night before but I don’t think 12 hours can dehydrate you

Less than 12 hours can dehydrate you. The warmer you are the faster you'll dehydrate.

I just remembered I had a cup of iced coffee about a half hour prior to the test so that I could do the urinalysis. It was very yellow when I went so that is a possibility. That will help me calm down until tomorrow when the dr calls. My cholesterol was a little high but I’m already planning a massive diet change for that. My liver enzymes were 45 last test back to a normal 15 now. And my t3 was a little low As well

I wouldn’t worry much about slightly elevated labs. Different labs have different ranges for what’s considered normal and those ranges don’t mean everyone will fit perfectly within the limits. They take a large number of people who have key similarities and observe what appears to be typical for them but not everyone is the same and what’s considered abnormal in some may be completely normal in others not to mention labs fluctuate throughout the day and lots of simple things can affect them. This is why doctors usually repeat abnormal labs.

I know you have been anxious lately but labs that are abnormal for a significant reason are usually more then just slightly elevated and so try not to worry yourself over something that probably isn’t of any concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Smafraid View Post
    I got my bloodwork. Slightly low rdw which is a new test for me. Slightly elevated calcium and albumin which a few sites say indicates a malignancy. I have no idea how I’ll get through the day until the dr is in Monday. He didn’t call to give the results yet they came up on the website. My cholesterol is also elevated in certain areas. I didn’t have to fast for this test but I ended up fasting because I also had an ultrasound. Anyone ever had this and it not be bad
    The way I understand it - the most common cause of this is dehydration but your HA mind will have skipped straight past this and homed in malignancy..

Also, do you actually understand the results?

You've made your own conclusions without even speaking to the doctor..

I presume your doctor will have looked at the results first? If so, I imagine that they'd have phoned you if there was a serious issue..

The trouble with accessing blood work printouts is that your HA can feast on any minor discrepancies in the normal ranges.

Wait until you actually talk to your GP? Let him/her decide whether any repeat bloods are needed or whether these results are satisfactory? "Satisfactory" means" fine" in GP-speak not "a bit dodgy".

I really would avoid asking for these printouts in future. Let your doctor make a professional assessment of the results?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information