I know this is a problem many have faced, I've faced it before but I'm really struggling now.

My "career" has been a bit scattered. I went to college for speech pathology, but didn't get into grad school and it wasn't what I wanted to do anyway. So I went back and finished out another bachelor's in business. Took the first job I got after graduating, which is just a research admin job. I actually do enjoy it but the pay is not great and there really isn't much opportunity for advancement. I do get good benefits, and one of those is the chance to take classes for free, so I was taking courses in college student development hoping to go into new student services or academic advising. But, that field has a high attrition rate because of high demands and low pay, so now I'm rethinking even that.

I have some experience with technical writing as I've written several manuals for my current position, so I figured I'd try to get some hits on like Upwork doing some freelance gigs and try to build a portfolio. But of course I keep thinking "I can't do this". I'm so afraid that people are just going to laugh me right out of the interviews. I had two messages this morning, one was asking for a writing sample (which I provided) and the other wanting to set up an interview, and I responded but I am terrified.

I have a tendency to get really spooked and go into avoidance mode and obviously that's not good. Any tips on how to deal with this?