Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleep problems again. Not getting sleep even though I really need it. Scared.

Re: Bad anxiety at night in regards to insomnia. At a loss of what to do.

I've tried this method for two weeks now and its effective on me, turn down the clocks. Don't check the time every time you wake up because it will make you anxious.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Why are you taking more medication than is stated? That's a seriously bad idea Seaster!

How often do you take the Naproxen? (Aleve) as this drug is known to cause anxiety and a symptom of anxiety is increased urination.
    I was just trying something. I won't be doing that anymore. Also, I didn't have Aleve so I took Advil PM. I don't think it really helped me all that much but it did take care of the headache I had which was bothering me.

I really did not sleep at all last night it seems like when I think about possible times I could have been sleeping. I was up for the first few hours at least. But after 3 am till around 5:38 is blank. I guess I did sleep there but I was rubbing/scratching my leg in my shorts. Made me wonder if I was awake doing that or if I was sleeping but caught myself doing it waking up. Odd since I didn't take Benedryl this time.

I decided to try to sleep in because I was really scared I did not sleep at all. I don't know really how much I slept but maybe got an hour or two from that. Last night sucked overall. I really feel like I'm going to die if this continues. I was doing so good last week and now I'm not.

The frequent urination really wasn't an issue last night and that's what caused my insomnia to return because it kept me up. I'm sorry for being annoying. I just wish these medicines helped me sleep when I need them. I've tried without anything but nothing happens. I need that extra nudge to fall asleep and even then it's like my body fights it. It makes no sense.

One question I would like to know an answer to. Maybe it'd give me some optimism. Say I did not sleep at all on a given night. Would caffeine/eating foods during the day offset the need to sleep? Or would I still feel like sleeping during the day? My fear is that sometimes I might not be sleeping during the night but drinking some caffeine during day and eating meals like normal is hiding/masking how I should be feeling after a sleepless night.

I find for myself when I'm going through a bad patch sleep wise I need to completely cut out coffee. Eat and drink other stuff as much as normal, but no caffeine. I even cut out decaf because it has a small amount of caffeine in.

It's easy for me to say but try not to worry, do all the things Nora has suggested previously and you should get back on track.

Have you spoken to your GP about this at all? I'm currently taking promethazine (phenegran) 25 mg which I get on prescription, but it is available over the counter. It is an antihistamine with a sedative effect. This was prescribed by the local MH team and initially I took it through the day as well, but now I seem to be fine just taking at night (fingers crossed). Twice in the last week I've managed to sleep for 7 hours in a row (a miracle) but usually I sleep for maybe 5 hours, then I'm up for an hour, and maybe then get an extra 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Not fabulous but enough. I did also get prescribed propanolol for at night as well, and took that for a couple of weeks as well as the promethazine, but I've stopped taking that now.

Go back to scratch and start with basics again, you had a good week last week and it will happen again.

I’m doing everything I can. The thing that got me back on the insomnia loop was the frequent urination.

Last night, it wasn’t much of an issue but I still struggled to sleep for a while. The only thing I recall was it being like 2 am or something and then I remember getting up to go to bathroom and I freaked out because it was 5:38 am and I felt like I hadn’t been sleeping. Instead, I was scratching/rubbing my thighs. Had my hand up my shorts doing that. Was I doing that while awake or was I asleep and doing that? Is that even possible?

Aside from that, I really have had trouble getting back to sleep if I do get any at all. And I always have eye flakes in the corners of my eyes when getting up. I think I did sleep in some this morning but it might not have been for much.

I really don’t feel like I’m doing well. Im functioning ok during the day and not falling over, etc but it’s tough when I’m not sure if I’m sleeping at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Seaster View Post
    I was just trying something. I won't be doing that anymore. Also, I didn't have Aleve so I took Advil PM. I don't think it really helped me all that much but it did take care of the headache I had which was bothering me.
    There are no known interactions with the drugs you've mentioned and Benadryl but I strongly suggest you check before trying any other drugs? The responsibility for checking interactions between your OTC meds is yours.

I really did not sleep at all last night it seems like when I think about possible times I could have been sleeping. I was up for the first few hours at least. But after 3 am till around 5:38 is blank.
    Why do you keep telling yourself you didn't sleep when you clearly have?

I really feel like I'm going to die if this continues. I was doing so good last week and now I'm not.
    Firstly, we don't know how long a human can go without sleep before dying but we do know that EXTREME symptoms will kick in after 36 hours WITHOUT ANY sleep. You're clearly sleeping and you're clearly functioning so I would hazard a guess that you're either sleeping a lot more than you think/say or that you are just one of those people who can function normally on less sleep. Your sentences are perfectly coherent. You wouldn't be able to do this if you were seriously sleep deprived!

If these kind of thoughts are what YOU are CHOOSING to put into your brain during the day and before you try and sleep, do you honestly think that you are going to get a sweet night's sleep? Come on!

One question I would like to know an answer to. Maybe it'd give me some optimism. Say I did not sleep at all on a given night.
    From what I can see, this has yet to happen. It hasn't happened so this is you imagining that it will - and without any rational evidence for it.

Would caffeine/eating foods during the day offset the need to sleep? Or would I still feel like sleeping during the day? My fear is that sometimes I might not be sleeping during the night but drinking some caffeine during day and eating meals like normal is hiding/masking how I should be feeling after a sleepless night.
    If you try and drink lots of coffee to offset how tired you are (even though many of your posts have said that you are feeling OK) then you would feel tired, yes.

The science bit

Adenosine is a chemical that your brain releases to help you sleep. This increases while you are awake. This chemical binds itself to receptors in your brain and it slows down brain activity, thus making you feel sleepy. Caffeine BLOCKS these receptors but does not stop production so the moment the caffeine wears off - you will feel sleepy so you will drink some coffee and the cycle starts again. I've literally just gone through this with my husband,so drinking coffee is not the answer!

Seaster, you keep going over the same things and nothing I (or anybody else) says has made any difference. I'm wasting my time aren't I?

There's really nothing more that I can say here that I haven't already said so I'm going to leave you to it..

All the best.

You have made a difference because that's part of why I was able to get good sleep last week. It's just frustrating that I'm taking all these measures to sleep well at night but i'm back to struggling for sleep again. The frequent urination wasn't present at all last night despite taking Benedryl again and yet, sleep just wouldn't come. I thought about pleasant things and felt reassured things would go well because not having to use restroom often means I can get sleep.

And yes, I do feel okay aside from my eyes feeling a bit weird but it just bothers me how I did the same exact routine I did last week and slept well. But for this week, that same routine isn't helping me. It took me till after 6 am to get any sleep at all and it truthfully wasn't much more than 2 hours.

I'm just miserable because I know i'm not sleeping well but sadly, I'm the only one that can change it. I'm pretty much in this battle on my own. I do appreciate the help, it's more than I would have expected from anyone given how obsessed I am with getting good sleep at night.

Rather than being obsessed about how long you sleep why not take the approach that no one ever died from insomnia and so what if you are going through a period of disturbed sleep due to your anxiety about getting it "right"?

Sleep problems again. Not getting sleep even though I really need it. Scared.

Sleep problems aren't new to me and even have posted about it in the past. I don't know if my current experience is any worst than prior ones but it's pretty bad. I only slept 3 hours Tuesday night, and last night, well, not even that I would say. I even went to bed around 10:30 pm. I had plenty of time for sleep but it just wouldn't come despite me really needing it.

I'm very scared and concerned that I will die because I'm not sleeping at all basically. I'm not even feeling sleepy and that's concerning because I really should be since I know I'm not getting enough sleep.

Idk what's gonna happen next. Am I eventually going to sleep? I really, really want that to be true. I know my past sleep problems ended with that being the case. But right now, it feels hopeless. What's more frustrating is that I am following the same routine that I do for when I was sleeping well. I last slept well on Sunday night, slept great actually. My insomnia just pops up from out of nowhere.

I'm basically up for the day now as it's noon where I am. I can't be in bed all day trying to sleep as if i'm not able to sleep at that point, might as well just be up for the day. I MIGHT have gotten a little bit of sleep as I did have those "eye boogers/sleepies" in my eyes this morning and there were some moments last night where it kinda felt I dozed off for a bit. But mostly, I was up for a majority of the night.

It's like my body won't let me sleep and Idk what to do. I don't have any underlying health problems that would be contributing to this either. I WAS up all night one night due to a bad stomach cramp and I actually had to take naps because I was that tired. I can't take naps today because like I said, I tried laying in bed late into the morning and nothing was happening for me.

Someone please tell me it'll be okay. I'm able to write this despite my bad night but I still worry my body is gonna give out, and not in the "fall asleep" kind of way.

Re: Sleep problems again. Not getting sleep even though I really need it. Scared.

Why don't you go back and read the old thread? There were lots of tips in there. You got through it last time and you can do it again.

Re: Sleep problems again. Not getting sleep even though I really need it. Scared.

Yeah, I plan on doing that. This time just seems worse is all. I feel kind weak but not sure if it's the sleep medicine I took 6 hours ago. I'm just scared if i'll even make it through the day ok or not. I had to call out of work for this and that's not something i did last night.

But yeah, I'd like to think I'll overcome it again.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information