Thread: Sleep problems again. Not getting sleep even though I really need it. Scared.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bad anxiety at night in regards to insomnia. At a loss of what to do.

I've posted about past bouts of insomnia years ago so this is not a new issue. However, this is the worst it's been for me and i'm generally scared. I want to post what's going on in hopes I can get feedback/help.

So, the past few nights I'll go to bed around 11 pm. I take something like Benedryl or Motrin PM to try to help with sleep. Benedryls usually help me but last night, I'm not so sure. My phone is on night mode at night so it doesn't affect my eyes with blue light. I will occasionally note the time at night if I'm getting out of bed to use the restroom. What I remember is sort of feeling like maybe I was dozing off but not much time going by. For example, I went to bed around 11:45 pm last night and while my memory is a bit foggy, I remember it being 2:22 am and perhaps I slept a little bit there prior to that. Then I went back to bed and I think I remember it being 3 something but not sure if that was previous night or last night. I remember taking something around 4:00 am and then again at 5:20 am because I still wasn't knocked out yet.

I have my curtains down to dampen any sunlight when it gets to be time for sun to get up and I recognized I was still up as it was getting brighter. I knew it was the 6 am hour. I don't remember much aside from trying to be calm and telling myself I'll eventually sleep when I need to. I guess I did pass out but I don't know when it was. I only recall getting up to see it was 8:17 am. It kind of felt like I was sleeping because of how i lifted myself up and opened my eyes. I proceeded to go back to bed and then it was 9:27 am.

I do not know if I slept at all though because I have nothing to go on. I feel fine and alert today but had some redness in my eyes. I did consume a bit of caffeine but would that even be able to cover up the effects of a night of no sleep? That's what I'm mostly worried about. I don't know if I slept last night at all. I know being fixated on the times during the night is bad but it doesn't affect my mindset at night when trying to sleep. I only look to measure if I was sleeping or not.
    The past several nights have been like this with like no sleep until 6 or 7 am. It's frustrating to go the whole night and sleep just doesn't come. I don't use electronics before bed, no caffeine 12 hours out, I take stuff to help me sleep, and I'm relatively calm going to bed. I thought about stuff I look forward to and relaxing stuff. Sleep just never came. (unless I did sleep from some of the gaps in time I mentioned earlier but I can't say for sure.)

Not sure what to do. I'm worried I'll go sleepless for days to the point where I'll die. Is that even a possibility or will I sleep eventually? I need to know for peace of mind. Like, I've heard stories of people dying from forcing themselves up for 11 days but I'm actually trying to sleep so I can't imagine that'd happen to me. But despite these nights, I've felt fine during the day and able to work my job without ever feeling exhausted. Well, I do get tired from my job but nothing out of ordinary I would say. Able to drive home at night too. All on just 110 mg of caffeine; 2 cans of soda for whole day. I would imaging the caffeine intake is small enough to where if I was sleep deprived, it would show itself?

It usually takes me a while to fall asleep on a normal night but only an hour or so. And my normal for sleep is 6 hours. If I get that, I'm golden all day. But I know I haven't been getting that and it's only adding to my anxiety when it comes to how I'll sleep each night. I did get out of bed with "sleep/eye gunk" in my eyes so perhaps that's a sign I did sleep a little? The small amount of sleep is concerning and makes me wonder if I'll make it through this. Yes, I feel fine during the day and even after 10+ hours of no caffeine, I don't feel any different or sleepy. Idk what that means but I know I'm not getting much sleep so it's strange.
    Last edited by Seaster; 21-07-21 at 20:57.

Thread Information