Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urine question, again, getting scared...

Urine question, again, getting scared...

Hi, guys,

I know I asked similar question in January, but my urine, without to me obvious reason, all of a sudden sometimes comes dark yellow with orange hue. I believe I drink the same amount of water as before. When this occasionally happens, I up my water intake, and it goes to normal pale straw color, sometimes almost transparent. I cannot pinpoint the reason for dark yellow color, because I eat as usual, and what I have been taking in terms of supplements and/or medication, has been the same for years. I had CBC W/differential and complete metabolic panel test in February this year, and ALL came back normal. I have no pain, or weight loss either. But, now I am hyper focused on urine color, and I started looking at my stool color as well. It looks to me normal (lighter brown), and it sinks (I truly apologize for TMI). But at this point I cannot tell whether it is normal or not, because I am panicking. My only question is: if there was something wrong either with my liver or my pancreas, would the urine color EVER go back to normal? Would it persist regardless how much I drink?
    Thank you so much, whoever replies.

Re: Urine question, again, getting scared...

Pee changes colour all the time. A lot depends on fluid intake and if you are a little dehydrated. Today in our unbelievable heat mine is dark orange. I have drunk all day but it's hot so it's dark - I need to drink more. What you eat can also effect the colour and smell.

Are you getting any help for your HA?

Catkins,

Thank you so much, what you said really helps. Unfortunately, I am not getting any help with HA. I have been in therapy for many years, wasted basically thousands of dollars. I do not know what to do any more. Just a quick follow up question: so, you do not think it would easily changed back to normal with extra water, if there was a medical issue?

I can't answer that. But from personal experience if I drink extra it turns back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana View Post
    Unfortunately, I am not getting any help with HA. I have been in therapy for many years, wasted basically thousands of dollars.
    Respectfully Lana, if you failed to put into action what you learned in therapy, and for an indefinite period of time - not just giving up after a few weeks or months, then yes you've not only wasted your money but also the therapists' time.

People can (and do) can spend thousands of pounds/dollars/whatever on therapy but it won't make any difference to their HA unless they put the work in and leave no stone unturned. If something doesn't work for you, you try something else, and something else and you don't stop trying..

I see you have OCD? That does make things harder, for sure, but not impossible. I also have OCD and I've managed to control my health anxiety with a lot of hard work and determination..

So that's my input. I'm not to going to go down the reassurance route with you because that won't help you to control this disorder..

You need to be in therapy for this, and you need to listen as well as talk. More importantly, you need to understand that there's no quick fix here. This will take time - even when we fully-engage with the therapy.

Have you ever had a therapist who wanted to give you the skills to manage your HA rather than someone who was happy to take your money and offer you limitless sessions with little progress made?

I don't want to go down the reassurance route either and no decent therapist would advocate that approach.

You do need to find a reputable therapist who isn't afraid to challenge unhelpful HA behaviours and you do need to be disciplined yourself as regards managing your HA successfully. It can be done.

I feel your pain Lana. I’ve been where you are.

To deal with this, my therapist encouraged me to stop looking at my urine. I asked my gp and then my urologist if this was okay. They both said yes. It has saved me loads of stress. I go every six months for a urine test and then forget about it the rest of the time.

Sometimes our health anxiety won’t go completely away, but we can learn how to manage it.

Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cptdebbie View Post
    I feel your pain Lana. I’ve been where you are.

To deal with this, my therapist encouraged me to stop looking at my urine. I asked my gp and then my urologist if this was okay. They both said yes. It has saved me loads of stress. I go every six months for a urine test and then forget about it the rest of the time.

Sometimes our health anxiety won’t go completely away, but we can learn how to manage it.

Good luck!!!
    Hi Debbie,

Do you see an urologist because you have a physical problem?

I'm just interested to know why you would need to get the OK from the doctor and a urologist to stop checking your urine? Because there's a difference between HA due to an actual condition and those which are imagined as is generally the case with HA, and if it's the latter I can't see how testing the urine every 6 months is helping? It would be unnecessary testing and also anxiety regarding this particular issue is likely to flare up before testing, during, and then waiting for the results - so this isn't something I would be advising to someone who has an imaginary physical issue as appears to be the case with Lana..

Absolutely agree. You should only have tests based on clinical need but I know private doctors encourage testing for reassurance purposes and because their patients are happy to pay for them.

I periodically have blood in my urine. I also get kidney stones. That is why I originally saw a urologist.

My health anxiety goes deep. I was emotionally abused for 40 years. I have severe depression, anxiety, and ptsd. I have to put a lot of energy into staying alive. I may have to live with my issues the rest of my life to some degree. This is one thing that helps me manage a small part of it.

A therapist who specializes in anxiety and ocd suggested it. It’s helped me quite a bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information