Thread: Mole after biopsy

Mole after biopsy

I had a mole biopsied 4 years ago. It was a really raised mole so they only took off the top and pigment was leftover. I was told this was normal and that the mole was benign (but no idea if mildly atypical or just straight benign, I wished I asked, they just told me no more treatment needed) but to still watch the pigment to see if it stays the same. Very annoying because after worrying about the mole, waiting for results, and then getting the all clear, having to watch it still is not what I want with health anxiety. Well it's been the same for the past 3/4 years until I looked last night and I noticed the dark part of the pigment is now light brown! The mole is in an area that is hard for me to look at, so I usually make my husband, and I haven't had him look for like 2 or 3 months. Now I'm kind of freaking out. I'm hoping that when I went to the beach last month that maybe the sand exfoliated the top part off but maybe it didn't and it's changing for who knows what reasons. Google is not kind about regressing moles (meaning it's late stage blah). I'm trying to tell myself that a benign mole isn't going to go from benign to late stage in 2-3 months but you know how the HA brain works. Probably slim but anyone have anything similar happen?

Re: Mole after biopsy

I’ve had moles fade. My doc said this is common.

Moles do naturally evolve over time, it's part of aging. Of course it's recommended to have any changes checked by a doctor, so that may be a wise step. But as far as I know, changes in moles are still rarely signs of malignancy. I've also had moles fade, and one mole on my right cheek actually became a halo nevus and completely disappeared several years ago. Never caused an issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bin tenn View Post
    Moles do naturally evolve over time, it's part of aging. Of course it's recommended to have any changes checked by a doctor, so that may be a wise step. But as far as I know, changes in moles are still rarely signs of malignancy. I've also had moles fade, and one mole on my right cheek actually became a halo nevus and completely disappeared several years ago. Never caused an issue for me.
    I went to the dermatologist today, where they biopsied it years ago, so they could look at the pathology from then. Apparently is was a "stone cold benign mole" and those do not evolve into melanoma I guess, even the leftover pigment, so he said it was fine. So going to shove it out of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by megan91 View Post
    I went to the dermatologist today, where they biopsied it years ago, so they could look at the pathology from then. Apparently is was a "stone cold benign mole" and those do not evolve into melanoma I guess, even the leftover pigment, so he said it was fine. So going to shove it out of my mind.
    Good for you! Glad to hear the positive news, and I hope you can move past this fear. Thanks for the update.

Thread Information