Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is suicide frowned upon in society, religions and beliefs?

Why is suicide frowned upon in society, religions and beliefs?

I'm absolutely not feeling suicidal. The question should also ignore answers such as "because it hurts other".

I have noticed religions, society and spiritual groups are against suicide. It's a sin in many religions. Even the non religious are against it, like my Dad, who was suicidal through life but when he had terminal Cancer he stuck it out until the end).

What does history say about this? Is there a fundamental belief that precedes religions? Like for example commiting suicide will cause the soul to become stuck in a void for a long period before returning to the cycle of the Universe. A bit woo-woo but I like the history of such topics. I'm of the opinion humans have lost a deep connection with nature and the Universe. Something the early humans knew. It has been said the industrial revolution distracted minds.

Ya'll know my thoughts can a bit wacky, but what's your opinion on this question?
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 24-07-21 at 19:42.

Medications: 40mg Quitapine, 40mg Paroxatine, 300mg Promazine, 6mg-10mg Diazepam
    Diagnosis: Panic disorder, General anxiety, Agoraphobia, Depression, Aspergers.

Recovering alcoholic. Recovering codeine abuser.

Re: Why is suicide frowned upon in society, religions and beliefs?

I do think that peoples thoughts about suicide have changed in recent years. More people seem to just think it's terribly sad now and I haven't heard anyone recently become outraged as used to be more the case.

Maybe it's my age? Maybe there is just more acceptance around it now, maybe more people realise that that it's an act of desperation brought on by how that person felt at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    I do think that peoples thoughts about suicide have changed in recent years. More people seem to just think it's terribly sad now and I haven't heard anyone recently become outraged as used to be more the case.

Maybe it's my age? Maybe there is just more acceptance around it now, maybe more people realise that that it's an act of desperation brought on by how that person felt at the time.
    Same with MH issues in general, of which a lot more people have brought out into the open over more recent years, wheras previously most people tended to keep schtum over such issues and inadvertently suffer in silence due to the historically taboo nature of all things MH.

But we're now living in more enlightened times, and rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Same with MH issues in general, of which a lot more people have brought out into the open over more recent years, wheras previously most people tended to keep schtum over such issues and inadvertently suffer in silence due to the historically taboo nature of all things MH.

Definitely a good step forward+

From a sociological and historical standpoint, suicide is not useful to society. You lose a valuable worker, you lose breeding stock, you lose any expertise the person has developed, etc if the person decides to take their own life. Not to mention the disruption to society at the loss of that person. So how do you prevent people from doing this? You discourage it through the major ruling power. In most early societies, that was through religion. That's why in most major religions it is either outright banned or as you said, at least "frowned upon". If you consider that the major scriptures were guidelines for how to live life or explanations for things which had no explanations, that's why suicide is listed as something not to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    ... inadvertently suffer in silence due to the historically taboo nature of all things MH.

Yeah, and its also good to have an understanding therapist that doesn't push the 'red button' on their desk at the mere mention of suicide. there is a difference in wanting to end it and having Suicidal ideation(s) - they say is actually quite normal to have those feelings when this seem unmanageable and unbearable. A dear friend (Ponder) once told me .. being unstable in an unstable world is "normal" and I never forgot that.

Like for example commuting suicide will cause the soul to become stuck in a void for a long period before returning to the cycle of the Universe
    My farther believed that and said that I would be in "Limbo". I guess if you remove the traditional religious beliefs, anything is possible, and even people that claim near death experiences are quite unsubstantiated, and its hard to tell what is a result of brainwashing from childhood and ones belief system.

While I realize you intended this to be a discussion .. I just want to say I hope you will feel better soon; James. All the best and stay strong.

On the subject, I read a news story today about a 60yo woman who leapt to her death from 40+ stories up in NYC along with her dog. The comments on the story were atrocious as more people were concerned about the dog than the woman! While I do believe we've come a long way in how society views suicide and mental health issues, we're still far from coming out of the dark ages.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

My late father had huge respect and admiration for his boss at work yet he could not understand why he chose to end his life. He didn't "condemn" him but he just could not get his head around why. I am thankful that he didn't live to see his own grandson make so many serious attempts himself. It would have destroyed him being unable to help him.

Awesome responses folks. I like AV's answers, and I also like Scissel73's answer.

Yeah it's really shocking how people put more value over an animal than a human. I value all living things, but it seems humans love to dislike their own species.

Medications: 40mg Quitapine, 40mg Paroxatine, 300mg Promazine, 6mg-10mg Diazepam

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    My late father had huge respect and admiration for his boss at work yet he could not understand why he chose to end his life. He didn't "condemn" him but he just could not get his head around why. I am thankful that he didn't live to see his own grandson make so many serious attempts himself. It would have destroyed him being unable to help him.
    It's really difficult in times of suffering when the suicidal thoughts are intense and life feels like a boulder on your back. In my personal experience one becomes selfish and has no regard for how anybody else feels. It's not a conscious choice, it's more so the problems in life are so overwhelming and difficult to deal with that the only option feels like that.

I hope your son is doing ok. And thank you for sharing the experience with you're father. He must have been deeply affected by that and it demonstrates the shockwaves when one decides to take their life. I've known of people to take their life and it's shocking to hear even when you don't actually know the person personally.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information