Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is suicide frowned upon in society, religions and beliefs?

Re: Why is suicide frowned upon in society, religions and beliefs?

I also think that people who decide not to fight against adversity but are realistic in their expectations are inspirational too.

I think I'm with Rodney Trotter on all this...

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I know it's bad but I can't...All credit to him but being unaware has its advantages.
    There are bits in the film where Toby Jones is talking to Nello (Neil) while still in character and he says things like, 'People were really mean to you. Doesn't that bother you?' Or words to that effect, and Neil's replies show comprehension, so maybe it really is just that he chose to respond a certain way?

I didn't think I could watch it either P, simply because of the mother/son independence aspect - which I'm sure you fully understand? But there is no part of this film (story) which isn't inspiring. How his mother tried to prepare him for a life without her. How he overcame every bit of unkindness aimed at him, and how he became to be 'very good friends' with a lot of famous people. It really is a 'marvellous' story - more so because it's a true story!

You're not "woo-woo" types though..You've thought it through and have firm beliefs which is a great attitude to have.
    I've been called all sorts P. People with agendas join spiritual forums to ridicule people like me because they think we're thick and gullible. We must be to believe in stuff like this, right?

Many of them call themselves 'sceptics' without actually understanding that the term 'scepticism' means 'to doubt' and doubt means uncertainty, not dismissiveness. When people make statements such as, 'There is no afterlife', or 'There is no such thing as ghosts' you can be sure that they're about as sceptical as a teaspoon!

If the history of the planet were condensed into a 12 hour period, humans would account for 2 seconds of it. And we think we know all there is to know about the universe?

Humans used to have a connection to the universe, to the earth, and to our ancestors. They didn't have to be reminded what they were part of; they knew.

We've lost sight (and touch) with who we are..

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    ...if the history of the planet were condensed into a 12 hour period, humans would account for 2 seconds of it. And we think we know all there is to know about the universe?
    I agree! I think there is more beyond what our (2) eyes and comprehension can see/understand, and while the "unknown" doesn't' set well with me, I'm also OK with the "unexplained". Why is it not ok to just say we don't know?! That being said, I do think there is something after this journey for us ... but what do I know.

Back in 1989 I chose suicide because I believed I was trapped in a cycle with only two options. Owning up to being 'mental' to my family, or death. I knew my family's attitude from comments I had heard, passing remarks about some person going bonkers and the unsaid implication these people were weak and undeserving of respect.

After my failed attempt there was universal shock. How could fishman have felt this bad that he wanted to die? etc. The psychiatric nurse asked me about my relationship with my Dad and said 'he doesn't think you're gay does he?' So reading between the lines, this possibility had been discussed.

I did try to talk about how I felt though, the constant state of fear and inability to do my job properly. Which led to time taken off repeatedly and my brothers telling other tradesmen on site that I'd gone on a working holiday to America, rather than the truth. The irony was that my Grandad (Dad's side) had been in and out of psych hospital due to his service in WW1. The longest time he was in hossy was 3 years 4 months. And yet I've only been told this in the last five years or so. This was the dreadful secret being kept.

It does appear that I'm the one bad egg in our direct and extended family. I have cousins who are hugely successful. One is the chief exec of a housing association who has had books published. I'll finish here because its starting to sound like I'm whining. After all, its what we make of life isn't it.

And death? I think about it more as my 50s are flying by and there's a feeling of time running out, which is kind of ironic seeing how this post started.

I remember watching Marvellous the film about Neil Baldwin. It was and still is a marvellous account of this mans life.
    Me, being a big supporter of Stoke City too. When they were in the premier league I had a season ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Back in 1989 I chose suicide because I believed I was trapped in a cycle with only two options. Owning up to being 'mental' to my family, or death. I knew my family's attitude from comments I had heard, passing remarks about some person going bonkers and the unsaid implication these people were weak and undeserving of respect.

After my failed attempt there was universal shock. How could fishman have felt this bad that he wanted to die? etc. The psychiatric nurse asked me about my relationship with my Dad and said 'he doesn't think you're gay does he?' So reading between the lines, this possibility had been discussed.

I did try to talk about how I felt though, the constant state of fear and inability to do my job properly. Which led to time taken off repeatedly and my brothers telling other tradesmen on site that I'd gone on a working holiday to America, rather than the truth. The irony was that my Grandad (Dad's side) had been in and out of psych hospital due to his service in WW1. The longest time he was in hossy was 3 years 4 months. And yet I've only been told this in the last five years or so. This was the dreadful secret being kept.

It does appear that I'm the one bad egg in our direct and extended family. I have cousins who are hugely successful. One is the chief exec of a housing association who has had books published. I'll finish here because its starting to sound like I'm whining. After all, its what we make of life isn't it.

And death? I think about it more as my 50s are flying by and there's a feeling of time running out, which is kind of ironic seeing how this post started.

I often think how lucky young people are today when there is so much more empathy and acceptance of MH issues. I think it's gone the other way now to compensate for how things were in Our Day...I could never have talked about my problems to my parents. The adult son of our next door neighbour had regular ECT treatments at the local asylum to try to cure his inability to interact with people, lack of speech and eye contact and general "oddness". His elderly mother never spoke of it and he eventually was admitted as a long term inpatient when his mother died. Ironic that this was my first experience of autism but never diagnosed as such. How awful his life must have been.

Fishman...your Dad certainly won't think of you as the "one bad egg" in the family. He relies on you because you can be depended on and have always been there for him regardless of your anxiety. So what about your cousins and their fancy jobs..Who knows what goes on between their ears and what is "success" anyway? I think "success" is being able to survive a lifetime of anxiety. Wealth, fancy jobs etc etc...May look good on paper but resilience to keep on going despite adversity is a far better quality in my book.

I often think how lucky young people are today when there is so much more empathy and acceptance of MH issues. I think it's gone the other way now to compensate for how things were in Our Day...I could never have talked about my problems to my parents. The adult son of our next door neighbour had regular ECT treatments at the local asylum to try to cure his inability to interact with people, lack of speech and eye contact and general "oddness". His elderly mother never spoke of it and he eventually was admitted as a long term inpatient when his mother died. Ironic that this was my first experience of autism but never diagnosed as such. How awful his life must have been.

Fishman...your Dad certainly won't think of you as the "one bad egg" in the family. He relies on you because you can be depended on and have always been there for him regardless of your anxiety. So what about your cousins and their fancy jobs..Who knows what goes on between their ears and what is "success" anyway? I think "success" is being able to survive a lifetime of anxiety. Wealth, fancy jobs etc etc...May look good on paper but resilience to keep on going despite adversity is a far better quality in my book.
    Bless you Pulisa, you're a star. Not just on here but as a Lioness protecting her children for whom you have given everything

I was worried I'd opened up too much, but maybe its about time I did. Yes my Dad does appreciate me even though he still finds it difficult to talk about emotional issues. I will likely take him for a haircut and beard trim tomorrow. Then plant some delphiniums in his garden. I can't plant them here because I have too many slugs that just adore delphs

Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    I remember watching Marvellous the film about Neil Baldwin. It was and still is a marvellous account of this mans life.
    Me, being a big supporter of Stoke City too. When they were in the premier league I had a season ticket.
    I've watched Stoke City play and the Vale. Dad was a Stoke City fan. (I have a soft spot for the Vale)

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information