Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Why is suicide frowned upon in society, religions and beliefs?

Re: Why is suicide frowned upon in society, religions and beliefs?

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    I have cousins who are hugely successful. One is the chief exec of a housing association who has had books published. I'll finish here because its starting to sound like I'm whining. After all, its what we make of life isn't it.
    You can have nothing and be successful at life. It all depends if you measure success in terms of material things or spiritually?

My grandma (she of the visit) had very little in terms of money but what she did have she shared. She took in strays of the human kind as well as animals and she always had a smile on her face. She was greatly missed when she died, and I'd say that made her successful?

Materialistic crap won't matter in our final hours, minutes or seconds. There is only one thing which will matter and that's love.

All those people who died in the Twin Towers? There were zero messages which said, 'Look after my record collection' or 'Don't forget to put my sports car in the garage'. Every message read 'I love you'.

There is no guarantee that your cousins are happy is there? How do you know they don't worry themselves silly that the walls will come tumbling down on them one day? The grass might appear greener, right?

Suicide originates from Greece as what I know. They believed that it has something to do with transformation. Nowadays, suicides, especially in Japan, is a way to die with morals. While for others, it is a way to escape problems being faced. I agree with others here in this thread that all of us are vulnerable but, it depends on us how to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by meltedchic View Post
    Suicide originates from Greece as what I know. They believed that it has something to do with transformation. Nowadays, suicides, especially in Japan, is a way to die with morals. While for others, it is a way to escape problems being faced. I agree with others here in this thread that all of us are vulnerable but, it depends on us how to deal with it.
    Yes, that's Seppuku. I've seen documentaries on this and it's certainly interesting. I'm not so sure it originated in Greece. Empedocles died by throwing himself into a volcano, but I think it was going on long before this, in the Mayan culture for example.

Medications: 40mg Quitapine, 40mg Paroxatine, 300mg Promazine, 6mg-10mg Diazepam
    Diagnosis: Panic disorder, General anxiety, Agoraphobia, Depression, Aspergers.

Recovering alcoholic. Recovering codeine abuser.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    You can have nothing and be successful at life. It all depends if you measure success in terms of material things or spiritually?

My grandma (she of the visit) had very little in terms of money but what she did have she shared. She took in strays of the human kind as well as animals and she always had a smile on her face. She was greatly missed when she died, and I'd say that made her successful?

Materialistic crap won't matter in our final hours, minutes or seconds. There is only one thing which will matter and that's love.

All those people who died in the Twin Towers? There were zero messages which said, 'Look after my record collection' or 'Don't forget to put my sports car in the garage'. Every message read 'I love you'.

There is no guarantee that your cousins are happy is there? How do you know they don't worry themselves silly that the walls will come tumbling down on them one day? The grass might appear greener, right?
    That's all very true Nora and I know of course that 'spiritual wealth' is far more desirable than possessions. Its just when you have a family where broadcasting your 'round the world holidays' on FB is a feather in your cap, it begins to grate. Or 'all of my children have been to university so must be of higher moral standing', you start half believing it. But then social media is all window dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Yes, that's Seppuku. I've seen documentaries on this and it's certainly interesting. I'm not so sure it originated in Greece. Empedocles died by throwing himself into a volcano, but I think it was going on long before this, in the Mayan culture for example.
    I'm sure suicide has existed long before the Mayans, probably right back to the dawn of our species.

"Nobody has reported back to say what happens after suicide (apart from the NDE's)."- Quote

Just as a preface, I align with Nora's thoughts on the survival of consciousness and soul after death. The story I am about to share is a personal one, and you are free to form your own opinions about it, but I would really appreciate it if people don't write me off as crazy.

My brother actually reported back to me after his suicide. The night he committed it, his soul came to me while I was dreaming. He led me down the stairs to the basement where I would later find his body hanging. He did this to help prepare me for when I would find his body. While there, he explained to me why he did what he did, and that he had to go now. By "go now", he meant to the afterlife, whatever that turns out to be. At the time, I got a bit angry with him, and told him that if he really needed to leave that he can leave. That's when I woke up screaming/sobbing. I went down stairs to do laundry and found his body hanging in the exact position that I saw in my dream. I screamed and sobbed some more. I could feel his soul/energy there with me the moment I found his body and the minutes thereafter.

When my brother was talking about "moving on," he was not doing it in a way that indicates fear, so I am sure that whatever afterlife he went to wasn't bad (not Hell or Purgatory, etc.). But rather something pleasant.

Suicide is not frowned upon in all societies/beliefs/religions. My mom works closely with the local Native American community, and when one of the elders found out about his suicide, they said he was a warrior. It takes a warrior to try to fight the mental demons leading up to suicide, and it takes an even stronger warrior to willingly follow through with killing yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    That's all very true Nora and I know of course that 'spiritual wealth' is far more desirable than possessions. Its just when you have a family where broadcasting your 'round the world holidays' on FB is a feather in your cap, it begins to grate. Or 'all of my children have been to university so must be of higher moral standing', you start half believing it. But then social media is all window dressing.
    Absolutely!

In my book, there's a difference between pride in something and just out and out bragging. I came off Instagram because I was sick of the falseness, looking at people's dinners, and shots of people in the bath! Because it's absolutely normal to be taking selfies in the bath, right?

..so I took a picture of my cactus legs #keepingitreal

As for all that pouting? Ridiculous! It's gurning with lippy on, right?

Re the window dressing? The difference is that the clothes which are on view in actual shop windows are true to the ones inside. Not so with social media. To use an analogy, it's like using a Harrods window display in a Primark store.

This all leads to a very fake and unrealistic 'like for like' society and I've rejected it. Instagram has gone. Twitter has gone. Facebook is only for me to keep in touch with my aunty in Oz and for my fibro/autism groups.

You can bet your nips that your family are giving you the 'highlights' of their lives and they will have embellished those too - especially the holidays. They won't tell you about all the times they argued or when one of them got rat@rsed and threw up all over themselves. Or the time a stray dog pissed all over them as they were sunbathing on the beach. And you won't see the photographs where their hair looked 'totes' shit because of the humidity!

I, for one, want to see those pictures because they're real and real is funny. My MIL got pissed on by a dog on a beach (she was oblivious) and I could hardly hold the camera for laughing. My hair looked like Beyonce's afro do when we went to Devon a few years ago (my husband couldn't hold the camera still for laughing) and arguing and barfing up has generally been par for the course on my holidays..

Here's the thing...

You can control your social media experience. You can mute annoying family members or you can reject the platform altogether. Leave them to their bragging/fakery and do what's right for you..

Or, you can see it for what it is and let it all wash over you?

You know that a university degree doesn't make for a higher moral standing so don't even go half-way there!

Ted Bundy (and numerous other serial killers) went to uni and he has the morals of an S bend!

On the other hand, some of the nicest, kindest people on the planet have had little to no schooling and have lived in poverty..

It's not what you have, but what you do that matters..

I always say that the people who are truly happy and content with their lot don't need to use social media to bolster their fragile ego. They don't need to tell others online about how special they are.

My mother had some relatives who were nicknamed "I've been everywhere". This was decades before social media. My parents were inflicted with slide shows of their endless travels..It was boring and pure bragging-but empty bragging because no one was impressed. Why would they be? Who cares..other than themselves?

Same goes for the annual Christmas "review of the year" enclosed in Christmas cards. I have always been very tempted to produce an "alternative" version in my cards...Might do the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    My parents were inflicted with slide shows of their endless travels..It was boring and pure bragging-but empty bragging because no one was impressed. Why would they be? Who cares..other than themselves?
    IKR? I've never understood why people feel the need to do this?

Same goes for the annual Christmas "review of the year" enclosed in Christmas cards. I have always been very tempted to produce an "alternative" version in my cards...Might do the trick!
    Do it P! Consider this an official dare.

I should add that I've started making cards again and the one for my music loving son has a Bob Dylan quote on it..

"Play if 'effin'' loud" (not censored on the card) and this is to the son who says that I'm not like other mothers.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    IKR? I've never understood why people feel the need to do this?

Do it P! Consider this an official dare.

I should add that I've started making cards again and the one for my music loving son has a Bob Dylan quote on it..

"Play if 'effin'' loud" (not censored on the card) and this is to the son who says that I'm not like other mothers.

Who would want to be just "another" mother anyway?! I was always keen to steer clear of the lycra set at my son's school. So boring. I can't stand materialistic people who judge people on their latest acquisition/holiday/house/designer pet..

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread Information