Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Olympics 2020/2021

Re: Olympics 2020/2021

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Oh yes, he seemed to be inspired by Superman! He's probably more used to the less visible effects of colder weather but with Japan's humidity not much was left to the imagination

Our guy, Yee, had a low cut v back think going on.
    Hey, I'm not complaining...it's better than watching the divers pick their wedgies! LOL

Damn...Switzerland swept women's mountain biking!

Did you all see our lil 17 year old win the gold in women's swimming last night (100 m breast)? They only have one olympic sized pool in the whole state of Alaska where she's from! LOL

Very interesting about Simone Biles withdraw from the competition due to mental health reasons. It's opened up a lot of talk about mental health.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Not going to lie - I was super sad to see her pull out. That being said though, what an insane amount of bravery that took, for her to stand up in front of the entire world and say she was struggling mentally. Holy cow. A big corner may have been turned today for those of us that struggle with mental health issues. It’s time that the stigma went away, and I feel like Biles set that in motion today. And huge congrats to the other three team members, first time olympians, for hanging in there and fighting for that silver medal. We’ll see big things from those ladies!!

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    Not going to lie - I was super sad to see her pull out. That being said though, what an insane amount of bravery that took, for her to stand up in front of the entire world and say she was struggling mentally. Holy cow. A big corner may have been turned today for those of us that struggle with mental health issues. It’s time that the stigma went away, and I feel like Biles set that in motion today. And huge congrats to the other three team members, first time olympians, for hanging in there and fighting for that silver medal. We’ll see big things from those ladies!!
    100% agree.

You’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. These athletes can’t tune out the media to focus on their sport like they should be able to do cause they need their sponsorships. It’s an insane amount of pressure. Same thing happened with Phelps in the last one.

I was sad to see Biles pull out too. I've seen her in competition before and she is incredible, as many of them are.

The British womens hope at Wimbledon pulled out for similiar. Sounded like being overwhelmed and experienced a panic attack. It was debated, lauded, McEnroe got slated by some and now it's all forgotten. Maybe it will be different in the US but our media will have moved on by next week.

She's not the first athlete, we've had young gymnasts say the same, but I think it will be encouraging change within sport (hopefully) without helping out mental health awareness much in general. Other female gymnasts I've seen in articles have mentioned the pressure they are under and how they felt raising this was brushed aside in favour of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Hey, I'm not complaining...it's better than watching the divers pick their wedgies! LOL
    I'll admit to avoiding swimming. For some reason I've always found it underwhelming compared to track & field. No offence to the athletes, they are equals in my eyes to any other.

So no I didn't see your Alaskan. Sounds like she will be a rising star. A heroes welcome will be awaiting her.

In the women's street skateboarding one of yours was 34. I think they said the average age was 14. She must have felt like mum! She did well but is a veteran of top level boarding. She was at the back in her prelim but rocketed forward with the tricks including in the final.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Very interesting about Simone Biles withdraw from the competition due to mental health reasons. It's opened up a lot of talk about mental health.

FMP
    And hopefully for the right reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    And hopefully for the right reasons.
    Overall, I do believe it will have a positive effect and help others who are struggling. That said, one read of the right wing news sites comments and you get a good taste of the opposite.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I'll admit to avoiding swimming. For some reason I've always found it underwhelming compared to track & field. No offence to the athletes, they are equals in my eyes to any other.

So no I didn't see your Alaskan. Sounds like she will be a rising star. A heroes welcome will be awaiting her.

In the women's street skateboarding one of yours was 34. I think they said the average age was 14. She must have felt like mum! She did well but is a veteran of top level boarding. She was at the back in her prelim but rocketed forward with the tricks including in the final.
    I love watching swimming, but that's because that's the sport I was in at school.

Yes, I saw our 34 year old! Kudos to her! All those other competitors could have been her children!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information